PDA

View Full Version : Can We Have a "Pro-2AM Physician List" Sticky?

Tarn_Helm
01-03-2013, 6:42 AM
I don't want this (see excerpt below) to become a trend.

Especially under the impending implementation of our looming government health care system.

Can we get a sticky listing pro-Second Amendment doctors?

The kind who will not ask us to divulge personal information about our firearm ownership?

Guns: Doctors' next big fight?
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-guns-doctors-next-fight-20130102,0,6961788.story
By Melissa Healy 3:06 PM PST, January 2, 2013

For physicians and public health researchers, guns are not unlike cars, swimming pools, bicycles, alcohol and prescription drugs: They are a common cause of injury to their patients and to the population at large; but with knowledge, physicians and public health experts believe, that injury can be limited or mitigated.

Itís a perspective that the firearms industry and advocates of gun ownership roundly reject. And, as detailed in three leading medical journals, the gun lobby has been remarkably effective in their efforts to snuff out the notion that when it comes to guns, knowledge can reduce harm.

For physicians and public health researchers, the knowledge thing works this way: Researchers gather data . . .

victor1echo
01-03-2013, 6:55 AM
Mine has never asked me, but it could change. Just look him in eye and say NO. Then ask if is familiar with a Christ centered life. "Do you know about Jesus..."
Also, why do you stand with Israel? As far as I can tell, they are just as bad as Islam. Have you not studied Judaism? Read Exodus, and the account of how Moses killed his own people. Why don't you stand for America. YOu cannot serve two masters; you end up hating one and loving the other.

13withinfinity
01-03-2013, 7:14 AM
I shoot with my doctors and some of the staff from time to time :o He seemed pretty content with firearms judging by the arsenal he owned himself! Includng the dreaded AR15

paul0660
01-03-2013, 7:20 AM
Just look him in eye and say NO.

The rest of the post..................

OleCuss
01-03-2013, 7:20 AM
I think this is a bad idea. Better to let physicians who are not solidly pro-RKBA be exposed to reasonable people who are proponents of the RKBA.

We need to be an accepted part of a broader society rather than sequestering ourselves to look like an increasingly irrelevant minority.

I'd favor a list of physicians who are obnoxiously anti-RKBA. Notice that I specified "obnoxiously".

I can remember dealing with an anti-RKBA physician who was trying to actively abridge our rights. We got to know each other and I managed to moderate his position so that it was less injurious.

Let's not isolate ourselves.

One other thing? What if you were in wherryj's office and you were asked about firearms? How would that be anti-RKBA?

cdtx2001
01-03-2013, 7:39 AM
I thought doctors did more harm than firearms, automobiles, drugs, and alcohol combined. Overdoses, unnecessary surgeries, improper wound care, misdiagnoses, improper drug prescriptions, leaving surgery items in patients, etc....

NoJoke
01-03-2013, 7:55 AM
YES! The AMA is quite anti-gun/2a and encourages their members to act that way.

Maybe this would be a good time for DRGO to get involved!
http://www.drgo.us/

NoJoke
01-03-2013, 7:58 AM
I think this is a bad idea. Better to let physicians who are not solidly pro-RKBA be exposed to reasonable people who are proponents of the RKBA.

We need to be an accepted part of a broader society rather than sequestering ourselves to look like an increasingly irrelevant minority.

I'd favor a list of physicians who are obnoxiously anti-RKBA. Notice that I specified "obnoxiously".

I can remember dealing with an anti-RKBA physician who was trying to actively abridge our rights. We got to know each other and I managed to moderate his position so that it was less injurious.

One other thing? What if you were in wherryj's office and you were asked about firearms? How would that be anti-RKBA?

You always have a calm agreeable point - the only problem I'd have is the last line. How does that question influence diagnosis and treatment planning of my health? That's the doctor's roll.

OleCuss
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
You always have a calm agreeable point - the only problem I'd have is the last line. How does that question influence diagnosis and treatment planning of my health? That's the doctor's roll.

'Tis a good question!

A good doctor is going to ask you about your life and such. Too much can be learned by getting patients to tell you a little story - if you are good at listening you'll have patients telling you what is really bothering them even if they intended not to do so. A dry discussion of medical symptoms and medications is beneficial, but won't do a really good job for the patient.

So there is a decent chance your physician will ask you about hobbies, sports, what you've been doing recently, etc. Not uncommon in this area for people to tell you they went hunting - and a doctor who is interested in firearms and such should be asking you what you like to shoot with.

And actually, asking about firearms in general is not a bad idea. It gives you a chance to talk about eyesight, hearing issues, military service (pretty relevant at times), self defense, etc.

Not unheard of around here for a physician to ask someone if they have a firearm and when the patient says they don't, have the physician tell them they should and where to buy and to get training.

Asking about firearms does not mean you are unfriendly to the RKBA.

Asking about firearms and then lecturing on firearms from a position of ignorance and a lack of wisdom - that is both unfriendly to the RKBA and suggests you cannot trust the judgment of the physician on anything.

Context matters a lot.

NoJoke
01-03-2013, 2:36 PM
'Tis a good question!

A good doctor is going to ask you about your life and such. Too much can be learned by getting patients to tell you a little story - if you are good at listening you'll have patients telling you what is really bothering them even if they intended not to do so. A dry discussion of medical symptoms and medications is beneficial, but won't do a really good job for the patient.

So there is a decent chance your physician will ask you about hobbies, sports, what you've been doing recently, etc. Not uncommon in this area for people to tell you they went hunting - and a doctor who is interested in firearms and such should be asking you what you like to shoot with.

And actually, asking about firearms in general is not a bad idea. It gives you a chance to talk about eyesight, hearing issues, military service (pretty relevant at times), self defense, etc.

Not unheard of around here for a physician to ask someone if they have a firearm and when the patient says they don't, have the physician tell them they should and where to buy and to get training.

Asking about firearms does not mean you are unfriendly to the RKBA.

Asking about firearms and then lecturing on firearms from a position of ignorance and a lack of wisdom - that is both unfriendly to the RKBA and suggests you cannot trust the judgment of the physician on anything.

Context matters a lot.

In an ideal world, I agree. But in the day of a 15 minute visit is billed as a "standard" visit and anything beyond that as "extended" it would seem that a gun/2a discussion would need to be a specific point of discussion, not an aside.

This link:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-ama-prescripton-for-safety-122312-20121221,0,1251798.story came from here: http://www.ama-assn.org/

Would it be harmful to have a 2a/gun rating system similar to the one that's produced by the NRA when voting for officials in public office during elections?

http://search0.ama-assn.org/main/jsp/templates/primaryJSP/fullview.jsp?keyword=guns&FilterList=&advancedSearch=&sort=&pagination=

Wherryj
01-03-2013, 2:44 PM
I don't want this (see excerpt below) to become a trend.

Especially under the impending implementation of our looming government health care system.

Can we get a sticky listing pro-Second Amendment doctors?

The kind who will not ask us to divulge personal information about our firearm ownership?

Guns: Doctors' next big fight?
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-guns-doctors-next-fight-20130102,0,6961788.story
By Melissa Healy 3:06 PM PST, January 2, 2013

For physicians and public health researchers, guns are not unlike cars, swimming pools, bicycles, alcohol and prescription drugs: They are a common cause of injury to their patients and to the population at large; but with knowledge, physicians and public health experts believe, that injury can be limited or mitigated.

Itís a perspective that the firearms industry and advocates of gun ownership roundly reject. And, as detailed in three leading medical journals, the gun lobby has been remarkably effective in their efforts to snuff out the notion that when it comes to guns, knowledge can reduce harm.

For physicians and public health researchers, the knowledge thing works this way: Researchers gather data . . .

Pro-2AM? Is that for 2am pages, or for the 2nd amendment? ;)

You can put me down as pro-Bill of Rights.

Wherryj
01-03-2013, 2:45 PM

IF I ask about firearms, it is only asking for tips/an in depth review! :rolleyes:

OleCuss
01-03-2013, 5:20 PM
In an ideal world, I agree. But in the day of a 15 minute visit is billed as a "standard" visit and anything beyond that as "extended" it would seem that a gun/2a discussion would need to be a specific point of discussion, not an aside.

Not sure how your doctor does his/her billing, but that's generally not how physicians visits are figured/charged.

Generally, they are using CPT E/M codes for the billing and for the vast majority of visits the time spent is irrelevant to the charges for the visit. It is a fairly odd system which is mostly the result of governmental interference.

Sakiri
01-03-2013, 8:25 PM
The only problem I have with doctors and firearms is pediatricians asking about it.

Saw something a while back where they wanted kids' doctors to ask if they have guns in the home and then report it as if it's a bad thing to have guns in a house with kids.

Not everyone's kid is gun stupid.

JBBenson
01-03-2013, 8:30 PM
Huh. I thought this was a thread about finding a doctor willing to treat a bullet wound without calling the police.