PDA

View Full Version : Question on importing C & R handguns?

Dimitri A.
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, are C & R handguns exempt from the roster? I'm asking because I want to buy a Walther PP and a lot of these are out of state. I know I can't buy a german made one and have it imported here but the French made Manurhin pistols are listed as C & R regardless of age. Can I buy one and have it ship to an 01FFL and get it DROS'd?

That's what I'm understanding if I'm reading all this correctly.

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) The manufacture in this state, or importation into this state, of any prototype pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person when the manufacture or importation is for the sole purpose of allowing an independent laboratory certified by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12130 to conduct an independent test to determine whether that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is prohibited by this chapter, and, if not, allowing the department to add the firearm to the roster of pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person that may be sold in this state pursuant to Section 12131.
(2) The importation or lending of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person by employees or authorized agents determining whether the weapon is prohibited by this section.
](3) Firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations[/COLOR].

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/p-5300-11-firearms-curios-or-relics-list.pdf

Mssr. Eleganté
01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes.

C&Rtrader
01-03-2013, 9:39 AM
Mssr. Elegante is correct.

ATS76
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes. Most of the 01/07 FFL in CA will charge you around $75 for a "ship in" firearm. You are also subject to CA sales tax.

jwk90
01-03-2013, 7:13 PM
Pardon my ignorance, But I too am looking to purchase the same pistol on an online auction, Why can't the German made ones be shipped to CA?

jwk90
01-03-2013, 7:14 PM
Pardon my ignorance, But I too am looking to purchase the same pistol on an online auction, Why can't the German made ones be shipped to CA?

watt79
01-03-2013, 7:19 PM
My guess would be that they might not be over 50 years old to meet California's C&R requirments, even if on the ATF's list.

jwk90
01-03-2013, 7:50 PM
I realized alot of the online auction hosts, tend to sway away from CA sales,c even If it's 50+ years old. Im going through this issue, because I'm trying to purchase a C&R German Walther PP.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-03-2013, 10:14 PM
My guess would be that they might not be over 50 years old to meet California's C&R requirments, even if on the ATF's list.

To be exempt from the Roster they just have to be C&R. The Manurhin ones are C&R because they are listed by ATF on the C&R list by name. So they are exempt from the Roster and can be shipped to a California dealer for transfer. It doesn't matter if they are over 50 years old yet.

Many of the German ones are also C&R based on their age (50+ years old). Any handgun made before 1963 is now C&R and exempt from the safe handgun Roster and can be shipped to a California dealer for transfer.

California uses the exact same definition of C&R that the feds use.