PDA

View Full Version : Springfield or HRA Garand?

winetoad
01-02-2013, 8:49 PM
Looking to buy a field grade M1 from CMP. What do you recommend?

E Pluribus Unum
01-02-2013, 8:50 PM
Same price; M1A. Otherwise... M1.

pro-nra
01-02-2013, 9:30 PM
Unless someone is hand picking it for you at either SS or NS, mail order FG is a hit and miss. Spend the extra $100 and buy you a SG either SA or HRA. If you are looking for WWII then you have more chance of getting a WWII receiver in field grade flavors than SG.

Lone_Gunman
01-02-2013, 9:48 PM
Yep, go the extra $100 for a service grade unless there is just no way for you to come up with the money. I've heard that the current service grade HRAs are some of the nicest service grade rifles to ever come out of the CMP. If you do buy a field grade just know that the barrel may need to be replaced sooner or later depending on how much you shoot it. Not a big deal, but a couple hundred dollars to do it. If it was me, and I could only come up with the money for a field grade I'd go with an HRA on the chance that I'd get a nice one. That said, I just ordered a couple service grade HRAs so that's where my preference is.

Not to mention HRA only made Garands for 3 years, their are way more Springfield Armory rifles out there than HRA.

t0kie
01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
If this is your first M1, then I think you must buy a Springfield because there's a chance you'll be getting a WWII rifle.

One78Shovel
01-03-2013, 5:21 AM
Here is my advice. Get the Springfield first. I picked up a correct grade a couple years ago. Recently scored a REALLY good deal from CMP on a SA FG like you are considering. I also have a HRA SG. Please note- The HRA's are beautiful but come with the CMP stocks I am not a big fan of. I applied some Tung Oil treatments to it and am happy now.

Anyway, here is a couple pics of the SA FG and the HRA SG.

-178S

SA FG WW2 SN

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/Geaux-4it/Garand4.jpg

HRA SG

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/Geaux-4it/HRA.jpg

Sailormilan2
01-03-2013, 5:43 AM
HRAs will more than likely be in better shape, having never gone through a war since they were made essentially post Korea. If you want a piece of history, try get a WW2 Garand, which will have a serial number of less than 3.8 million.

mls343
01-03-2013, 5:48 AM
Can't go wrong with either of the Service Grades. That said, the HRA's are a bit more scarce from a collectors POV, and like many have already stated, never really have seen much rough use.

BruinGuy
01-03-2013, 8:06 AM
Arrrrgh! They are so beautiful!

I've got my paperwork all filled out, just need to get to a notary and off it goes for an HRA service grade...

As Tom Petty would say, "the waiting is the hardest part!"

Garandimal
01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Unless someone is hand picking it for you at either SS or NS, mail order FG is a hit and miss. Spend the extra $100 and buy you a SG either SA or HRA. If you are looking for WWII then you have more chance of getting a WWII receiver in field grade flavors than SG.

^^^ this.

As for SA v. HRA... Why get a Ford made by Chevy? :D

Really, there isn't a spit's worth of difference b/t'em in a CMP Service Grade outside of the chance of getting a low SN SA.

All are in outstanding shape w/ top-of-spec. bore numbers, good original park or Greek black, and any stock from USGI to CMP walnut/birch.

Suggest get one of each, mix'n'match, and then sell the other one.

(I've never done this, but then again, I'm not that smart. Just got a bunch of CMP SA Service Grade "FrankenGarand" Shooters that are essentially new rifles, wouldn't change a thing.)

GR

RaceDay
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I'll just repeat what the people above have said-- get a Service Grade. HRA vs SA is a coin toss. But spend the extra $100 to get a rifle that will be in far better shape. My first CMP gun was a FG Garand. This was back when they had sold out of all the SGs. All they had was the Greek returns with the Greek black. Once CMP got more in stock, I sold the FG to the nephew of a guy at work and upgraded to a SG. SG had nicer bbl and nicer wood. Basically a gun that will last my lifetime without needing a new bbl.