PDA

View Full Version : Family Defense Rifles and Anti-Gang Magazines

MindBuilder
01-02-2013, 5:43 PM
I propose we call assault weapons "family defense rifles" and high cap magazines "anti-gang magazines" so that people will realize they're for something more important than hunting and that high effectiveness against multiple targets is a good thing. It also blunts the offensiveness of "assault". It might also stimulate the thought in the minds of parents that maybe they ought to acquire the most effeective weapon available to protect their family.

I have seen "family defense weapon" proposed, but it is too vague and may make people think we propose protecting more extreme weapons.

ChuangTzu
01-02-2013, 6:39 PM
How about we just stop making up arbitrary distinctions and call them "rifles" and "magazines"?

:confused:

dustoff31
01-02-2013, 6:59 PM
How about we just stop making up arbitrary distinctions and call them "rifles" and "magazines"?

+1000. Making up various names is just silly, IMO. Especially as we then go to great lengths to explain that ARs/AKs etc, are essentially no different than any other rifle.

FoxTrot87
01-02-2013, 7:14 PM
Don't even call them rifles.

Shoulder Firearms then create SF-15.

ervaztec
01-02-2013, 7:25 PM
In a perfect world we don't need to define anything just let it be what it is. However if you own a weapon you likely know that perfect is not the world we live in.

If we don't define ourselves and our values someone else will in a way that benefits them.

"Family Defense Rifle" is perfect and is what I will call it from now on.

Trenchfoot
01-02-2013, 7:35 PM
I prefer Freedom Flingers...or Oppression Repellant

5thgen4runner
01-02-2013, 7:41 PM
I prefer Freedom Flingers...or Oppression Repellant

I love oppression repellant. Haha

MindBuilder
01-02-2013, 8:20 PM

Because we have an image problem, and image is important in politics. Words have influence. Even hunters often think people who like assault weapons tend to be dangerous nuts. Calling them "family defense rifles" reminds people that they are valued for defense rather than assault. People realize that there is nothing odd about wanting to protect your family. I think that "self-defense rifles" just doesn't quite emphasize why nothing but the best will suffice. People are often willing to settle for less safety for themselves than for their family. Sure a handgun may suffice for protecting yourself, but for protecting your whole family, a handgun is kind of puny.

The word family also takes the image away from a military killing machine and toward some good clean fun for the women and children of the family as well.

I like "oppression repellent" too. That would be even better than family defense rifle if we could make it stick and if people would realize what we were talking about. I thought about "family and national defense rifle", but it seemed to be getting too long. If it is claimed that rifles are useless in the age of tanks and jets, it might be pointed out that the millions of rifles issued to US troops seems to indicate that the military still thinks rifles are useful even amidst modern weapons.

kaligaran
01-02-2013, 8:59 PM
I'm a big fan of:

"modern sporting rifle"
and
"standard capacity magazines"

It's true and not over the top.

phrogg111
01-02-2013, 9:38 PM
I'm a big fan of calling them ARMS.

Especially as ARMS are for JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE, and all other uses are secondary and illegitimate.

That's right - hunting is a loophole in the second amendment to the bill of rights. Bullet buttons are a provision in the law, hunting is a LOOPHOLE.

damoni
01-02-2013, 9:38 PM
I propose we call assault weapons "family defense rifles" and high cap magazines "anti-gang magazines" so that people will realize they're for something more important than hunting and that high effectiveness against multiple targets is a good thing. It also blunts the offensiveness of "assault". It might also stimulate the thought in the minds of parents that maybe they ought to acquire the most effeective weapon available to protect their family.

I have seen "family defense weapon" proposed, but it is too vague and may make people think we propose protecting more extreme weapons.

I propose that we, (Kalifornia), stop voting in idiotic politicians that write b.s. laws that ARE NOT in the best interest of the people.:oji: (but I totally agree with you!!)

wjc
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I propose that we, (Kalifornia), stop voting in idiotic politicians that write b.s. laws that ARE NOT in the best interest of the people.:oji: (but I totally agree with you!!)

You sir, are a true American.

bravo!

ChuangTzu
01-03-2013, 4:30 AM
Because we have an image problem, and image is important in politics. Words have influence. Even hunters often think people who like assault weapons tend to be dangerous nuts. Calling them "family defense rifles" reminds people that they are valued for defense rather than assault. People realize that there is nothing odd about wanting to protect your family. I think that "self-defense rifles" just doesn't quite emphasize why nothing but the best will suffice. People are often willing to settle for less safety for themselves than for their family. Sure a handgun may suffice for protecting yourself, but for protecting your whole family, a handgun is kind of puny.

The word family also takes the image away from a military killing machine and toward some good clean fun for the women and children of the family as well.

I like "oppression repellent" too. That would be even better than family defense rifle if we could make it stick and if people would realize what we were talking about. I thought about "family and national defense rifle", but it seemed to be getting too long. If it is claimed that rifles are useless in the age of tanks and jets, it might be pointed out that the millions of rifles issued to US troops seems to indicate that the military still thinks rifles are useful even amidst modern weapons.

But by doing so, you're still falling hook, line, and sinker for the notion that there is such a separate class of arms (whatever you want to call them), that are separately bannable from arms in general. Don't go there.

Neezer
01-03-2013, 5:59 AM
Similar to the "Department of Defense" sounding much less scary than "Department of War"; hence, the official name change.

CSACANNONEER
01-03-2013, 6:02 AM
Let's just call them "Sally" and "Harry".

chead
01-03-2013, 7:10 AM
Watch out for gangs, that's something people worry about in 2013.

12voltguy
01-03-2013, 7:17 AM

do tell how you are goingh to get the anti gun media to do as you say:facepalm::facepalm:

morfeeis
01-03-2013, 7:41 AM

THANK YOU!

MossbergMan
01-03-2013, 8:47 AM
I could care less what we want to call our guns. Assault is a behavior and ANY tool can be an "assault weapon" if used to harm another person.
I like the "Family Defense_______" (gun,weapon,rifle) to describe a modern semi-auto, shoulder fired firearm.
Magazines only come in two types. Standard capacity and RESTRICTED capacity. I don't own a single high capacity magazine. I do own serveral standard and restricted magazines. I even have some ammo in clips to load my standard cap magazines.
As distasteful as I find PC language (I'm mostly non-PC) it's a reality in our time. We must inform the sheeple that some terms are incorrect and inflammatory. "Assault Weapon" is one of these inflammatory labels when referring to semi-auto rifles. I actually feel it's "hate speech". It is inaccurate, incorrect and brings to mind that guns are only good for evil.
So next time one of your non-gun friends or family call a gun an Assault Weapon. Remind them assault is a behavior, not an object and that you find that kind of talk offensive. And it demonstates their ignorance of the subject.
I like this story: A CA. state senator is seated next to a young girl on an airplane. The senator breaks the ice and askes the girl her opinion of gun control. She responds with a question of her own. "Cows, horses and deer all eat basically the same thing, yet they all poop it out different...Cows make pies, horses make biscuts and deer drop pellets, why is that?" The senator from CA. doesn't have a clue and says "I don't know". to which the girl looks up from her magazine and says "Well you don't s%it so what makes me think you can speak as an authority on gun control"....it was a quite flight after that.

They can have my guns....I'll let them have them ,Bullets first.

Stonewalker
01-03-2013, 9:31 AM

Dude, start your business. I will buy your gear. I will pay $1 extra just because you have the right idea and you've put those names on the products.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-03-2013, 9:58 AM

If you can convince the "Regressives" to do the same, sure! Why not!?!?!

Ferdman
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Anti-gun people are very good with their buzzwords. They use them to incite evil and insidious imagery in people's minds to forward their f*ck*d up agenda. It's called PROPOGANDA! Anti-gun people are good at it. "Assault Weapon" sounds so evil as opposed to just a "gun." Remember "cop killer" bullet? They'll even knowingly refer to semi-auto rifles as "machine guns". WTF is a "high capacity" magazine? It's all relative. At one time in our history, five rounds would have been considered high capacity. In the future, maybe a Phased Plasma weapon in the 40 watt range could fire a thousand bolts or whatever they'll be called.

I completely agree with MindBuilder. Fight fire with fire. Pro gun folk can play that game too. "Family Defense Rifle" is a good start, but how about "Life Preservation Tool", "Family Defense Implement", or a magazine that holds 30 or more rounds could be "defense capable capacity". You could say that owning a gun is "a celebration of the US Constitution." Put your brains to work and come up with just as good or better imagery for us pro 2A people. List what you come up with here so we can use them against anti-gun idiots.

WeekendWarrior
01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
I agree that we should stick with calling them "rifles" and "magazines." But, to the OP's point, had this family defended themselves with a firearm, not having "high capacity" magazines may have ended up with deaths among the family members (hypothetical situation where the homeowner was armed and fought back as the suspects burst into the house). With 11 legal rounds, the homeowner basically would need to hit a gang member with every round he fired to put them down and make sure they aren't going to get back up and rejoin the gun fight. In this hypothetical situation, the descriptive names the OP came up would have fit the bill perfectly.

Link to Article: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Home-invasion-in-S-F-s-Outer-Richmond-4164515.php

Home invasion in S.F.'s Outer Richmond
Will Kane
Updated 9:09 am, Thursday, January 3, 2013

(01-03) 08:47 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- Five men stormed into an Outer Richmond District home early Thursday and held the eight residents at gunpoint before fleeing with electronics, cash and luggage, San Francisco police said.
The attackers broke down the wooden door of the home on the 500 block of 40th Avenue at 2:50 a.m., dragged the residents from their beds and held them at gunpoint in the living room, police said.
The five men stole a smart phone, a tablet, laptop computers, a video game console, cash, wallets, a camera and luggage, said Officer Gordon Shyy, a police spokesman.
One of the residents called 911 after the men left, Shyy said. No one was injured.
An unidentified man who lives at the home told KTVU-TV that the robbers had said they were looking for drugs. The man speculated that the previous owners of the home had been drug dealers.
"Our investigators will explore all avenues as to why they were targeted," Shyy told The Chronicle. "Regardless of the motive, they did rob these individuals."
No arrests have been made, and detailed descriptions of the five men were not available, Shyy said.
Will Kane is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: wkane@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @WillKane

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Home-invasion-in-S-F-s-Outer-Richmond-4164515.php#ixzz2GwlxmmH1

CBruce
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Makes too much sense. That would require people to understand that all firearms are only nominally different from one another and that any bullet flying out of the end of almost any gun can be lethal.

ThemBastards
01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
+1000. Making up various names is just silly, IMO. Especially as we then go to great lengths to explain that ARs/AKs etc, are essentially no different than any other rifle.

They have more exposure so they make the rules. Must fight fire with fire. Plus media will run things with catchy tag lines.

pdugan6
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM

agree. and I am going to start calling my goods family defense rifles... for a couple days at least.:D

Ferdman
01-03-2013, 3:18 PM
Watch out, pretty soon bolt action rifles will be termed "sniper rifles" and there will be a call to ban them. Gun ban advocates have always used rhetoric and buzz phrases. Pro gun folks like us making up our own buzz words and catch phrases, even if they're silly would bring to light how ludicrous their rhetoric is. Here's another one, "threat mitigation device".

Drivedabizness
01-03-2013, 3:33 PM
I agree with the thought - "let's call rifles "rifles" and magazines "magazines". I also kinda like the idea of the name "Modern Musket". They have a Facebook page and sell hats, stickers, AR dust covers, etc. Their point is that todays common, semi-auto sporting rifles are the modern equivalents of the muskets/Ky Long rifles used at the founding of the nation. Like us, those folks used their firearms for a variety of lawful reasons - there is nothing unusual or pernicious about them.

Kid Stanislaus
01-03-2013, 8:45 PM

BECAUSE!!We are up against a well orchestrated propaganda machine that knows how to use words to incite people's emotions and we have to be as smart as they are!!:rolleyes:

Kid Stanislaus
01-03-2013, 8:53 PM
I propose that we, (Kalifornia), stop voting in idiotic politicians that write b.s. laws that ARE NOT in the best interest of the people.:oji:

Great idea, if you're into naive and simplistic solutions. The problem IS, Damoni, that the ELECTORATE in CA are, by in large, liberals!! Imagine that! So, our task is to convince a state full of liberals that guns are good to have around. Do you have any suggestions at to just how we should go about that?

stix213
01-03-2013, 9:04 PM
I like "anti-gang magazines." The anti's have manipulated the discussion to great success by twisting the language. There is nothing wrong with us doing the same. We haven't signed some Geneva Convention that we won't use underhanded language manipulation.

stix213
01-03-2013, 9:04 PM
I like "anti-gang magazines." The anti's have manipulated the discussion to great success by twisting the language. There is nothing wrong with us doing the same. We haven't signed some Geneva Convention that we won't use underhanded language manipulation.

dchem
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Changing the language or terminology just for "kinder, gentler" image is silly. Doing that just shows how silly we let them make us.

If you have a friend from one of those gun-free zones, take them out for a shooting. Provide ammo and insist that you will pay for their range time. Doing that is far more effective than using made up terms.

Policies and perceptions change when people do attractive stuff. So go out there, engage the public with calm, patient demeanor.

MindBuilder
01-04-2013, 9:19 AM
A kinder gentler terminology might be silly, but the question is, will it help? Will our silly names hurt our credibility? I don't think they will as much as they will help re-frame the ideas in people's minds. If the silly stuff helps us keep family defense rifles legal, then I say lets do it. The sad state of affairs is that politics is largely about sound bites. Certainly not entirely, but largely. Those other ways of promoting our cause are good ideas also. We don't have to choose which is better. Lets do them all.

@12voltguy - We can't make our opponents use "family defense rifle", but we can use it ourselves and that might get more people thinking differently about these guns. Remember we have an image problem even among a substantial number of hunters who think you're a suspicious gun nut if you buy anything other than a nice wood stocked hunting rifle. Let people know that guys who buy these guns are about defense and not assault. Let people realize these guys are more likely to protect you with their gun than attack you. And let them know that guys want, not just any gun, but the most effective gun to protect their family.