PDA

View Full Version : Help with shipping an AR15 complete lower out of California

racerx944
01-02-2013, 3:25 PM
I am selling an AR15 complete rifle lower to someone out of Ca. Do I need to ship from a FFL to their FFL or can I ship it as a private individual to their FFL? Also, do I need to have a bullet to ship it?

Thanks for the input as I tried the search but it returned a bunch of irrelevant threads.

LMTluvr
01-02-2013, 3:53 PM
You can do either. I personally just ship myself. UPS is the easiest Ive dealt with. They will want a hard copy of the recieving dealers FFL with MATCHING address.. If youre shipping outside of california and its NOT a complete rifle then you should be fine with no BB.

bwiese
01-02-2013, 3:58 PM
[ I think you mean BulletButton, not 'Bullet' ;-) ]

An off-list AR lower, even stuff with parts & grip, is NOT semiauto, not centerfire, and not a rifle.
Because of above, it's not an assault weapon either (if off-list) and thus a BulletButton maglock is
NOT required to ship or posess such a lower in CA. I don't know of other destination states requiring
maglocks either.
You do NOT need to ship thru a CA FFL: you can ship directly to the recipient's FFL dealer. Use the
BATFE's "FFL-E-Z-Chek" website to validate his FFL (get his FFL#), and double-check the correct
address to which to ship it.

CBruce
01-02-2013, 4:16 PM
I am selling an AR15 complete rifle lower to someone out of Ca. Do I need to ship from a FFL to their FFL or can I ship it as a private individual to their FFL? Also, do I need to have a bullet to ship it?

Thanks for the input as I tried the search but it returned a bunch of irrelevant threads.

Also, when you go to send it through the mail that it's a disassembled, non-functioning, firearm frame. Not a working firearm.

That's a key distinction apparently.

Munk
01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Also, when you go to send it through the mail that it's a disassembled, non-functioning, firearm frame. Not a working firearm.

if the frame is the serialized part that the ATF considers to be the "gun", then the frame is still subject to the same shipping restrictions (in the case of a Ruger .22, where the upper is the "gun", then THAT is what is subject to the restrictions.).

12voltguy
01-03-2013, 7:24 AM

why?
I can ship a working rifle to any ffl, it does not need takin apart:facepalm: