PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding CCW weapon.

Barkoff
01-02-2013, 4:16 PM
I remember back when I applied and received my CCW I told the officer checking me out that one of my firearms was given to me by my father, and most likely never registered, At the time he told me that wasn't a problem, he wasn't checking to see if the gun I put down was registered, he was just checking to see if had been listed as stolen.

Flash forward two years, my neighbor is going through the process and was told by a gentleman who San Benito has hired to do their CCW work, that the gun he had listed on his application was not registered and would have to be.

Now no doubt he will have to follow through because the firearm is newer than the grandfathered weapons, and appears is if an FFL made a mistake, but what is the law here, do they check for registration, can they force you to register an unregistered handgun?

Thank you.

stix213
01-02-2013, 4:24 PM
There is no law requiring registration of handguns listed on a CCW. That policy would be at the whim of the issuing agency.

Calplinker
01-02-2013, 4:36 PM
Correct. There's no law requiring it but some agencies have an administrative requirement.

Personally, I don't like it, but my CCW guns are all relatively new and registered anyway so it's not an issue for me.

Manolito
01-02-2013, 4:46 PM
Lassen County where I have my CCW requires they be registered to your name to put them on the permit.