PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Transformer Mineral Oil as Fuel

Californio
01-02-2013, 3:45 PM
So I was bored last night and saw an episode of DDP that showed using electrical transformer mineral oil to run a diesel engine - TV BS or would this work and have enough Lubricity to not damage the engine?

the86d
01-02-2013, 3:59 PM
Hahaa!

I usually don't watch when aired, but record them, nothing else was on...

I was curious about this one too.

TheChief
01-02-2013, 7:20 PM
It would suck when they try to turn the power back on...

cdtx2001
01-02-2013, 8:37 PM
If a diesel engine was hot enough, it can run on just about anything. I remember reading how the Southern Pacific Railroad tried using Bunker C fuel oil in their diesels right after the end of steam operations. It worked quite well, they would warm up the locomotive on diesel then the crew would switch over to the bunker C and run the rest of the day on that. The problem was, the crews would forget to switch back over to the diesel before shutting the engine down and a cold engine with bunker C in it was impossible to start.

So yes, mineral oil would work in a diesel engine if the need arose.

Brien
01-02-2013, 8:54 PM
I saw those bumbling idiots last night too. I was thinking the whole time, that oil is not going to drain in a smooth stream like draining your car's oil. I thought their mineral oil shower was hilarious. ****ing hicks!

Obviously a Plant
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
:oji:The old stuff is highly toxic, burnt or unburnt, full of PCB's.
Luckily, that all tastes like menthols, so taste your transformer oil before you start playing with it--Just to be sure.

TKM
01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
A fine way of creating airborne PCBs, makes me want to take a silkwood shower just thinking about it...

Yikes.

cdtx2001
01-03-2013, 5:52 PM
The older ones are full of PCBs but those have been mostly phased out.

I would pay serious money to watch some idiot try to drain one out when it's live!!