View Full Version : How to turn the tide.

01-02-2013, 1:20 PM
The push to control guns is from people who are more afraid of guns doing harm than the harm prevented by guns. The just don't believe you need a gun to protect yourself. Show them otherwise and gun rights will be preserved. Fail to to do so and your only hope is that the courts and whatever Second Amend. protection they dish out.

Barney Fife
01-02-2013, 1:27 PM
Very true.
Winning court cases will not assuage a persons fears or concerns.
Offer to take people shooting, let them see how they are not some arcane tools of violence. Then you can start to dialogue with them about the benefits of firearms for sport, hunting and defense.

If we do not win thier hearts and minds then all the legislature in the world will not defend our second ammendment. It starts at the true grassrooots.

01-02-2013, 1:35 PM
TV shows like "Walking Dead" help the cause. Not that zombies will get me. But it shows regular people in a situation where order breaks down and firearms are needed to keep your family safe.

01-02-2013, 1:46 PM
The short answer is very little. The tide is inexorable. As more and more people live in urban settings, and fewer and fewer in the "country" firearms exposure and ownership will wane, and what's more, as suburbia continues to sprawl - fewer and fewer people will even have access to open areas to shoot making gun ownership less accessible.

Until Sandy Hook, we were actually doing better in terms of PR with many shows such as Top Shot and many firearms related shows on the History Channel all showing firearms in a positive light. The problem is, as the population grows, lunatics with firearms will continue to proliferate and the news will continue to report the incidents out of all proportion.

01-02-2013, 1:54 PM
I always say......

You are against guns? yes
Against people owning guns? yes
Do you own a gun? no
Then, hey, you took it into your own hands and repealed the 2nd amn. on yourself! Good job. I choose not to.

However, I do limit my 1st amdn activity quite often as a self imposed limit to my free speech. Yet I respect your right not to.

01-02-2013, 2:03 PM
The people jumping up and down and raving about needing more gun control are the usual suspects. They have been doing this for decades, literally. At the moment they have a "bully pulpit" but the public scrutiny will wane.

The bad legislation will have more traction (here in CA we are well and truly screwed for the next session), but it can be; no it WILL BE defeated in the US Congress. It WILL BE defeated because everyone here is going to donate to the cause and write and call and bug everyone they can to make sure that the Feds understand there is no compromise, ever again.

01-02-2013, 10:46 PM

01-02-2013, 10:56 PM

01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Well put winnre!

(I'm gonna steal that image)

01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
I take every chance I can to open up a dialogue and show people how important it is for them not only to back up gun owners to save their own rights but to become qualified in california to be able to buy a gun. Many of the people I have talked to are going on computers and to sites like calguns to get educated. They are becoming scared of what their legislators and a minority are doing to them and while I am not trying to panic them i think many of them will be in a gun store in short order. We have to become common sense educators.

01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Well put winnre!

(I'm gonna steal that image)

I've saved the image! :cool2: