PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA.

AccessDenied
01-02-2013, 1:02 PM
So I'm moving to CA and don't have enough time to order a bullet button and the pmag converter's before I leave. Can I just break down my AR and mags until I get to CA and can buy the proper conversion parts, or is there something else to make it CA legal that needs to be done?

stix213
01-02-2013, 1:05 PM
Remove the upper from the lower, and best to store them separately to pass a smell test, even though that last part isn't strictly required. Break down all 10+ round mags into just parts. This works because there is no constructive possession violation for AW's or large-capacity mags. Also verify your lower isn't on the make/model banned list.

Welcome to occupied territory.

beerup949
01-02-2013, 1:10 PM
Nooooooo!!

HapaMan
01-02-2013, 1:13 PM
My condolences on your move.

wazdat
01-02-2013, 1:40 PM
Welcome to the Sheeples Republic of Kommiefornia.

Now open your wallet and prepare to fight for your rights...

Smoothshifter41
01-02-2013, 2:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that! Buy some off roster handguns while you have the chance! As for the AR, I'd remove the magazine release completely from the lower while you travel into cali and until you can get a bullet button installed. Also, separating the upper and lower isnt a bad idea either. Disassemble all mags as well, and if it were me I'd be locking certain parts up just for extra insurance on the off chance you get a dirty cop. Refer to this calguns flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf) to be sure your items are not on the banned list. Remember, California has the extra requirement that the overall length of your rifle shall not be under 30".

AccessDenied
01-02-2013, 2:53 PM
I guess I need to get a measuring tape out. Thanks for the tips, I've been doing a bit of research and that flowchart is amazing, props to whoever worked on it. I haven't seen YHM lowers on any list, the rifle was a custom build up off that lower. BTW, the flow chart states 26" overall length. I'm ready to bring a bit of fight, but it's a military PCS move so my state of registration and voting power will all remain in Louisiana.

AccessDenied
01-02-2013, 2:55 PM
I found the part about it being 30" overall. Thanks for the tip. 33" with the flash hider, 31" without. Well with the stock collapsed all the way.

dr16o49
01-02-2013, 2:56 PM
what area are you moving to?

Foresight88
01-02-2013, 3:04 PM
Best wishes to you in California. Now the question is how long will it take for you to move back out of California.

mikestesting
01-02-2013, 3:05 PM
So I'm moving to CA and don't have enough time to order a bullet button and the pmag converter's before I leave. Can I just break down my AR and mags until I get to CA and can buy the proper conversion parts, or is there something else to make it CA legal that needs to be done?

I highly recommend lurking this forum, especially the 2A section, as CA gun laws are ridiculously complicated. As someone else mentioned, read the flow chart. It might save you a trip to county jail.

im2ninja4u
01-02-2013, 3:06 PM
Just got off the phone talking about guns, gun rights, and hunting with my friend from Bossier City, LA. I'm sorry you're coming here.

dwtt
01-02-2013, 3:28 PM
We'll assume your rifle is not on the banned list, then what can get you in trouble is if they are assault weapons by features, or Class 3 AW. Separating the upper and lower receive isn't enough, take off the pistol grip since a pistol grip is one of the evil features that can make a firearm a Class 3 AW. There's no need to store them in separate containers, just have the receiver contain no evil features until you can install a bullet button or magazine lock. This also applies to FALs, G3s, AKs, or whatever you have.

SickofSoCal
01-02-2013, 3:32 PM
Do anything in your power to not move here.

stix213
01-02-2013, 3:37 PM
We'll assume your rifle is not on the banned list, then what can get you in trouble is if they are assault weapons by features, or Class 3 AW. Separating the upper and lower receive isn't enough, take off the pistol grip since a pistol grip is one of the evil features that can make a firearm a Class 3 AW. There's no need to store them in separate containers, just have the receiver contain no evil features until you can install a bullet button or magazine lock. This also applies to FALs, G3s, AKs, or whatever you have.

This is not correct. With no upper installed, the firearm is no longer centerfire or semiautomatic, so cannot be an AW regardless of mag releases or pistol grips. There is no constructive possession either. The owner could just as easily install a rimfire upper, which wouldn't be an AW regardless of features, so there is no issue with a pistol grip on a complete lower.

newbee1111
01-02-2013, 5:03 PM
It's very important that you check the banned rifle list that on the flowchart page. Some specific AR-15 style rifle models are banned and you can't make them legal with a bullet button. Separating the upper and lower will NOT help you in this case just possessing the lower is banned.

Check the magazines on any handguns you bring here as well. The 10 round limit applies there as well. Again you can just disassemble them before you bring them into the state. There is a handgun assault weapon flowchart as well you should check out. Banned features include threaded barrels, forward grips or magazines that aren't inserted in the grip.

CA has a roster of "safe" handguns that can be bought by non-LEOs in the state. This restriction doesn't apply when you move here you can bring in anything that isn't classified as an "assault weapon". So if there is some handgun that you have your eye on that isn't on our roster buy it before you move here. You will need to register your handguns after you get here. There is a form you send in and $19.

There are also restrictions on semi-auto shotguns, same BS about folding stocks, etc. There is another flow chart for that as well.

If you are driving here you need some type of locking case for your firearms. Rifles, shotguns and handguns need to be unloaded and in a locked case. Your trunk could count as a locked case unless there is some pass-through to the passenger compartment. It's better to just get some type of case. You can have ammo in the case as long as the guns are unloaded.

Welcome to CA. Our weather is great, our gun laws blow.

donny douchebag
01-02-2013, 5:07 PM
Access denied!

Sakiri
01-02-2013, 5:28 PM
So I'm moving to CA

I'm sorry.

damoni
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
If your moving here because of a duty station transfer, CAN YOU TAKE ME WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE?????? HAHAHA... (CA. gun laws suck!):(

Fulgore243
01-03-2013, 9:30 AM
You'll also enjoy the 7 week wait for an appointment at the DMV, followed by a 4 hour wait in the "appointments" line to get your car registered.

Moonshine
01-03-2013, 9:51 AM
Provided guns aren't the sun around which the earth orbits you'll probably enjoy it here. I love living in California and wouldn't dream of trading motorcycle rides on highway 1 and trips to Lake Tahoe for living in the Midwest where I grew up.

Sure the gun laws suck, but its a small price to pay for the weather, natural beauty of the land, and diversity of places to go and things to do!

Schrodinger's Cat
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Provided guns aren't the sun around which the earth orbits you'll probably enjoy it here. I love living in California and wouldn't dream of trading motorcycle rides on highway 1 and trips to Lake Tahoe for living in the Midwest where I grew up.

Sure the gun laws suck, but its a small price to pay for the weather, natural beauty of the land, and diversity of places to go and things to do!

This is a good outlook. If you choose to be miserable, you will. Keep the fight up and keep your head up.