PDA

View Full Version : Safe laws?

omnitravis
01-02-2013, 9:59 AM
I used the search function, but there was a lot around about safes and they mostly seemed to be reviews, nothing about laws. Sorry if there was already a thread about this.
So, I have owned firearms for the past 3-4 years. I bought my first two from the same place, and one just yesterday, at a shop I had never been to.

First shop, Shop 1, Neither with my shotgun or my handgun purchases did they make me fill out the paper stating I own a safe and/or lockbox approved by the DOJ.
Yesterday, it happened at this new place, Shop 2. I was surprised, I had never seen this page before.

Did Shop 1 screw up by not making me fill out one of those, or was Shop 2 just taking extra measures?
Anyone have a nice list or something of all the laws regarding safes, lockboxes and proper storage?
I found this (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist) but I am pretty sure that means a gun lock, correct? Obviously you cant actually take a firearm out of a store ACCOMPANIED by a safe, unless it is some tiny one for one pistol, but, whatever. Can anyone point me in the direction of some nice info? Thanks folks.

jben
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Start here:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Locks.2C _Safes.2C_and_Laws

m35a2
01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Every firearm I have DROSed at a shop in the last 2 years has had me fill out the safe form. It's that or you buy a lock for the firearm being removed from the building. They don't let you reuse a lock you already have, guess they have expiration dates.

tba02
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Handgun - purchase a CA approved lock and be able to provide a receipt showing it was purchased within 30 days prior.

Rifle/Other (aka lower) - purchase a CA approved lock and be able to provide a receipt showing it was purchased within 30 days prior, or legally complete the CA safe affidavit form.

Decoligny
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
On my Christmas rifle purchase, they sold me a lock for $0.01.

Or I could have simply purchased a lock of my own from WalMart, and returned it for a full refund when I had the rifle.

You do not have to have a safe.

omnitravis
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Thank you all very much.

lgm118icbm
01-02-2013, 3:55 PM
Handgun - purchase a CA approved lock and be able to provide a receipt showing it was purchased within 30 days prior.

Rifle/Other (aka lower) - purchase a CA approved lock and be able to provide a receipt showing it was purchased within 30 days prior, or legally complete the CA safe affidavit form.

My big a** safe doesn't exempt me from buying a lock when I buy a handgun? Grumble, grumble.....
:mad::mad:

Katch
01-02-2013, 4:02 PM
My big a** safe doesn't exempt me from buying a lock when I buy a handgun? Grumble, grumble.....
:mad::mad:

Depends on the shop.

myk
01-02-2013, 4:24 PM
Hmm...In the shop I use they never made me fill out the safe affidavit, or make me buy a lock with the weapons. 2 of 5 had locks in the box but the others did not. Then again, no one asked me for a safety-handling 'demo either so I don't know...

LibertyDeath
01-02-2013, 4:36 PM
Hmm...In the shop I use they never made me fill out the safe affidavit, or make me buy a lock with the weapons. 2 of 5 had locks in the box but the others did not. Then again, no one asked me for a safety-handling 'demo either so I don't know...

CA laws are dumb. I bet I could buy a captive bolt pistol no questions asked but need a DNA sample to pay for a freaking CCW I would just get rejected for.

Harrison_Bergeron
01-02-2013, 6:43 PM
Depends on the shop.

No it doesn't. Federal law is Federal law, handguns have to have locks.

Katch
01-07-2013, 1:09 PM
No it doesn't. Federal law is Federal law, handguns have to have locks.

I wasn't trying to address the law, I was just referring to the fact that some places will let you fill out the affidavit for your safe instead of buying a lock when you pickup your handgun.

Librarian
01-07-2013, 1:50 PM
I wasn't trying to address the law, I was just referring to the fact that some places will let you fill out the affidavit for your safe instead of buying a lock when you pickup your handgun.

FFLs who do that are probably violating Federal law - BATF will NOT accept the CA safe affidavit (although they should.)

See the link to the wiki article, posted above.

Katch
01-07-2013, 9:59 PM
FFLs who do that are probably violating Federal law - BATF will NOT accept the CA safe affidavit (although they should.)

See the link to the wiki article, posted above.

Thanks Librarian, good information for everyone...

I wasn't trying to dispute anything, just relaying experiences.