PDA

View Full Version : What's this I hear: Illinois to introduce near total gun ban today?

Hippies_Have_Guns_Too
01-02-2013, 8:18 AM
Looks like Illinois is trying to be the safest state in the country. /sarcasm

The ISRA (Illinois State Rifle Association) has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called “assault weapons” ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its “lame duck” session. Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.

Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called “assault weapons” but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=86exi4bab&v=001mlQdTtwnjRDahckam4bGLxIbLfeFoyy__NjfukosErM6M PUP8j6ONIRSJbFQvJbUs63si2hhfguEl8Z30HnE7D1dTg3MRnB AoH-ABkVwdkumC7RehzveGXtBiMqVP23z8vSi6htNi4mkZRxj8BWCe ioP5_x2t64FCnofEwFh25Dh6M53g1MeZ-fpVoyakQbpExdnEwbZF0F6G3kiI0n7a6eYvSGKc-BKRKnsHnWEhrhlFDsyjilnor_xjbo5ll_9

wireless
01-02-2013, 8:19 AM
Do it and see what happens.

Hippies_Have_Guns_Too
01-02-2013, 8:22 AM
Do it and see what happens.

That's what I was thinking. If this is true then this is crazy.

12voltguy
01-02-2013, 8:24 AM
guns are bad Mkay

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23745315.jpg

bruss01
01-02-2013, 8:32 AM
This would fail on so many counts it's laughable.

The best thing the anti's ever did for us was to push Heller and McDonald all the way to the supreme court. They should have just settled the suit in the lower courts. Well, they gambled big and they lost big. Now, instead of having these enclaves of Gun Control all over the country, they basically had the true 2A shoved down their throats.

Really, ban pump shotguns? Is there any more common firearm on the face of the earth? Except maybe .22 lr rifles. The absurdity is so deep you need hip-waders.

This bill in Illinois would accomplish much the same thing. That would be a straight line up through the court system, ending in an epic smackdown. The day after it was passed there would be an injunction filed to stop enforcement, pending a judicial review. The review itself would be scathing in light of the recent state, circuit and supreme court decisions regarding "common use" firearms being protected under the 2A. If they were stupid enough to push it to the SC, it would probably result in the invalidation of a lot of stupid firearms laws in CA, helping us greatly here.

Sure, fight it... but if they pass it anyway it could be one of the best things to ever happen to us. No doubt, similar plans are in the works if it happens that DiFi's bill passes too, and likely with a similar outcome.

Ninety
01-02-2013, 8:39 AM
IBL
&
:dupe:

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
01-02-2013, 8:41 AM
The review itself would be scathing in light of the recent state, circuit and supreme court decisions regarding "common use" firearms being protected under the 2A.

Like Heller 2? Marzzarella?

OleCuss
01-02-2013, 8:47 AM
Passage would be bad, but surely the idea of a preliminary injunction would at least be entertained? And it would be in the 7th Circuit which I'd think would be a good thing?

I'd rather not bet on what the courts would do at any level, but it still seems to me that a PI might succeed at the Circuit level even if its odds at the District level don't seem quite so good?

Oddly, mightn't this also be relatively fast-tracked for SCOTUS as a PI? Not sure how that works.

furyous68
01-02-2013, 8:49 AM
Looks like Gura & Co. are gonna get PAID (again)! LOL

shooting4life
01-02-2013, 9:28 AM
I hope it passes. It is so draconian that it would be fast tracked through the courts and shot down, maybe giving us something useful to use in ca.

Librarian
01-02-2013, 9:50 AM
Multi dupe.

NON-CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENTS and non-California government agencies at any level, other than Federal, cannot introduce bills or write regulations that affect California. Stories about non-California government or government agency - police, fire, city councils, state legislatures - behavior, policy or statements, good or bad, go to OT.