PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 98K help

2PaperTigers
01-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Good day all,

Yesterday my grandmother gave me my late grandfather's guns. She knows I have an interest and love for firearms. One rifle in particular left me puzzled. I'm pretty sure it's a 1939 98K. I'm attaching a link to some photographs. It's not a Russian capture or been sanitized. I noticed that just about all the parts match except for the bolt body.

This is the part that breaks my heart. It's been drilled and tapped, the bolt has been turned down (if it is indeed that original bolt), it looks like an inch has been removed from the barrel and it does not have a stock.

I'd like to return it into it's original configuration. So I ask of you, what am I looking at exactly and what are my options? Please feel free to add in any information which may be useful.

http://s1341.beta.photobucket.com/user/2papertigers/library/Mauser

gunboat
01-02-2013, 2:15 AM
You are looking at an unfinished conversion to a "sporter".
Essentially a barreled action and scope --
If that is a steel weaver scope it quite possibly could be worth as much as the barreled action
It is my opinion that the cost of "restoration" far exceeds the cost of a
decent 98 --
If the barrel is good, a sporter stock might make it a decent shooter --

mosinnagantm9130
01-02-2013, 2:53 AM
That's a rare code. Shame someone sportered it.

Since it's D&T, may as well finish the job and find a nice sporter stock for it.

emcon5
01-02-2013, 6:55 AM
Alternatively, get an original stock and you have a pseudo sniper.

pitfighter
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
The barrel has been shortened and sights removed, the metal has been reblued as well.
I think it would be tricky to bring it back to military configuration, which is a shame as it is almost matching and a rare code.
I would do it though, as I like those kinds of projects - as it was from your grandfather you're not doing it to sell anyway.

Pit.

2PaperTigers
01-02-2013, 2:14 PM
Yeah I was pretty sure it was screwed up. But pitfighter is right; i'm not going to get rid of it. I guess i'll just slowly restore it because, to me anyway, it just looks ugly.

So it looks like i need a bolt body, barrel w/sights and a stock. Can anyone help me determining what stock would be correct or close to 1939? Is it difficult to have it rebarrled? Would any 98 mauser bolt work? Thank you all for your participation.

CDFingers
01-02-2013, 3:04 PM
Now, here's a piece of family heritage. I think it is valuable to pass on.

I agree that you would want to finish the sporter job and put it in a stock that fits your body. Bore condition would help you decide about its use, but even worn bores may be enjoyed when they are slugged and cast boolits of the correct size are used in reduced loads. Tons of fun. Looks like a good project.

Go for it. Projects are fun.

CDFingers