PDA

View Full Version : Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction

winnre
01-01-2013, 10:05 PM
I know we use the form for transfers from parent to child and back, etc, but what about husband to wife or wife to husband? DROS or use the form?

ke6guj
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
you use the oplaw form to transfer between spouses.

GrizzlyGuy
01-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I know we use the form for transfers from parent to child and back, etc, but what about husband to wife or wife to husband? DROS or use the form?

Use the same form, but the why behind it is different (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1092992&postcount=7).

winnre
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I am exempt from HSC, is there a spot for that too?

ke6guj
01-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I am exempt from HSC, is there a spot for that too?
there isn't. If I were HSC-exempt for that transfer, I'd just list the exemption reason in the HSC box. If CADOJ had an issue, they could contact you about it.

Quiet
01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
+1 on writing the HSC exemption code/info in the HSC portion of the form.

HSC Exemption
X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

winnre
01-02-2013, 9:07 AM
Okay I can write two different exemption codes, so I need submit proof of exemption too? Maybe just a good idea...?

ke6guj
01-02-2013, 1:43 PM
at this point, you might want to call CADOJ and ask them what they need you to do.

Clownpuncher
01-02-2013, 2:35 PM
OK, I don't want to threadjack here but I also don't want to start another thread relating to this.

I realize that a inter family transfer between states requires an FFL (to meet fed requirements) but the wiki only states what would be done if I had one shipped to me from a parent out of state.

My question is if my parent comes here, with the handgun, can we just go to the FFL and do a PPT? I am concerned with the part in the wiki example that says the fees are not regulated. I am assuming that is referring to having a gun shipped to an FFL from out of state for the transfer.

When doing a PPT do both people need to be residents of California?

Also, does the roster apply when doing a PPT between family members when it doesn't between normal private parties?

I hate all these rediculous laws. Thanks in advance.

Librarian
01-02-2013, 9:54 PM
OK, I don't want to threadjack here but I also don't want to start another thread relating to this.

I realize that a inter family transfer between states requires an FFL (to meet fed requirements) but the wiki only states what would be done if I had one shipped to me from a parent out of state.

My question is if my parent comes here, with the handgun, can we just go to the FFL and do a PPT? I am concerned with the part in the wiki example that says the fees are not regulated. I am assuming that is referring to having a gun shipped to an FFL from out of state for the transfer.
Yes, you can bring the gun to an FFL and do the transfer without shipping - if the FFL is agreeable.

As you set it up, it's an interstate transfer, so yes, the FFL can charge whatever transfer he likes.
When doing a PPT do both people need to be residents of California?
Both must have CA ID showing an address in CA. That's not law, but it's how the DROS software is written.

Also, does the roster apply when doing a PPT between family members when it doesn't between normal private parties?
No. Roster does not apply to intrafamilial.
I hate all these rediculous laws. Thanks in advance.
Answers embedded.

See also the wiki article on interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_firearms_Interstate - that talks about 'brought or shipped'.