PDA

View Full Version : so what does ab1527 really mean

erik_26
01-01-2013, 8:39 PM
Aside from the obvious, can't carry a long gun on your shoulder to get a cup of joe in the morning.....

Does it effect the transportation of long guns? Do they now have to be in a locked container to transport like a hand gun, or is sprawled out on the back seat of you pickup still ok (as long as you aren't in a GFZ)?

Librarian
01-01-2013, 8:56 PM
In-vehicle, no change. Federal GFSZ still applies.

Out of vehicle, must be cased.

If the case is designed for a gun, no lock required.

If NOT designed for a gun, lock IS required.

All at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

jkonquer
01-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Is typical rifle bag considered a gun case?

stix213
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I'd like to know if a gun sock is considered a "made for a gun" case.

angelocris
01-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I'd like to know if a gun sock is considered a "made for a gun" case.

A "sock", made for a gun is not a gun "case". A case has to be an item/device capable of completely holding a firearm which is able to accept a locking device or have a locking device. As librarian stated,

If the case is designed for a gun, no lock required.
All at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

trevorlc
01-02-2013, 6:34 AM
(c) When the firearm is either
in a locked container or
encased
and it is being transported directly between places where a person is
not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel
shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as
are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
16505. For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400)
of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is "encased" when that firearm is
enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of
containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled,
tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed.

What I get from that is you have two options.
1. Have the rifle inside something that is locked and you shouldn't have any issue.
or
2. Have the rifle in a case that completely encloses the entire rifle and that is specifically sold to contain a firearm then its not required to be locked. (If its locked see #1) So its possible you might have to prove that the case is intentionally sold as a rifle/firearm case, though obviously there has been no threshold established yet. Does that mean the manufacture intends it to be a gun case or just some retailer at some point selling it as a gun case, or all the possibility's in-between. My guess at the intent of this wording is to stop people carrying a rifle around in say an instrument case. Where people carrying rifle's around in guitar cases or where they just watching classic mob movies to much?

Decoligny
01-02-2013, 7:01 AM
What I get from that is you have two options.
1. Have the rifle inside something that is locked and you shouldn't have any issue.
or
2. Have the rifle in a case that completely encloses the entire rifle and that is specifically sold to contain a firearm then its not required to be locked. (If its locked see #1) So its possible you might have to prove that the case is intentionally sold as a rifle/firearm case, though obviously there has been no threshold established yet. Does that mean the manufacture intends it to be a gun case or just some retailer at some point selling it as a gun case, or all the possibility's in-between. My guess at the intent of this wording is to stop people carrying a rifle around in say an instrument case. Where people carrying rifle's around in guitar cases or where they just watching classic mob movies to much?

Someone ought to set up a business where they make rifle cases "specifically designed to contain a rifle" out of guitar cases. Make them model specific with molded foam inlay to protect the rifle. Place a big sticker inside the lid indicating "ACME AR Platform Rifle Case", or "ACME AK Platform Rifle Case".

taperxz
01-02-2013, 7:11 AM
A "sock", made for a gun is not a gun "case". A case has to be an item/device capable of completely holding a firearm which is able to accept a locking device or have a locking device. As librarian stated,

A sock made for a rifle meets the requirements set forth by the code. A gun sock is expressly made for a rifle and it is closed by tying the strings together.

AyatollahGondola
01-02-2013, 7:21 AM

What is not expressly stated is whether a case that is transparent is still considered "exposed". An exhibitionist wearing celophane pants would likely still be charged with indecent exposure. Whether that concept could be extended to the gun is unclear

taperxz
01-02-2013, 7:24 AM
What is not expressly stated is whether a case that is transparent is still considered "exposed". An exhibitionist wearing celophane pants would likely still be charged with indecent exposure. Whether that concept could be extended to the gun is unclear

(c) When the firearm is either
in a locked container or
encased
and it is being transported directly between places where a person is
not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel
shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as
are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Can't really be an exhibitionist if you are following this ^^ law though

AyatollahGondola
01-02-2013, 7:37 AM

I don't exactly get your meaning sir/ma'am

taperxz
01-02-2013, 9:23 AM

I don't exactly get your meaning sir/ma'am

To put it into context^^^

The new law was designed to prevent gun wielding exhibitionists from carrying their unloaded, open carried rifles in walmart and starbucks to make a point regarding the 2A.

You talked about celophane on a person and i took it into the same context of carrying a rifle in a clear, locked case.

AyatollahGondola
01-02-2013, 9:47 AM
To put it into context^^^

The new law was designed to prevent gun wielding exhibitionists from carrying their unloaded, open carried rifles in walmart and starbucks to make a point regarding the 2A.

You talked about celophane on a person and i took it into the same context of carrying a rifle in a clear, locked case.

I kind of get it now. I never did the restaurant/coffee shop meets. when I OC'd, I was always going somewhere, or coming back.

JDay
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Doesn't this law violate Heller since we do not have shall-issue?