PDA

View Full Version : Finn m91 restoration

Donkeypunch0420
01-01-2013, 7:17 PM
So I have a 1940 Finn m91, that I saved from Bubba just before he could finish his diabolical scheme. Some damage has been done, but I'd like to get it back into shooter condition and to make it at least look like a Mosin again. The stock was cut and sanded, and upper handguard is gone. Also gone are the rear sight base, and leaf. Also missing, the front barrel band and front sight hood (if there's suppose to be one). Doing some searching online, it will be hard to find all Finn parts to restore it to it's former glory. I may do so slowly, but for now I just want it back to a military type configuration and looking like a normal Mosin. My question is; will I run into any detrimental fitting issues if I replace all the above parts with Russian? I like the Finn rear sight much better, but the Russian one is easier to find and cheaper. Thanks guys

Marcus von W.
01-01-2013, 7:32 PM
The stock and handguard - either Russian or Finn made, either is correct - will be kind of hard to find and rather costly. You could set the butchered M91 stock aside for now and use a Soviet dragoon-early 91/30 stock set until you can find an M91 stock set, but it will look a little strange to those who know these rifles because of the longer M91 barrel sticking out in front. My personal choice would be one of the dragoon-early 91/30 stocks that have the screwed in sling slot escutcheons and the late dragoon-early 91/30 handguard with the brass endcaps, as these would be at least more "period correct" for an M91.

Russian/Soviet M91's, Finn M91's, Russian/Soviet dragoon rifles all use the same front and rear sights. 91/30's use different sights. Try Rich Reich at reichtrade@aol.com and see if he has any of the correct sights....be patient, sometimes you have to contact him a couple times or wait a little bit.

You could also use a 91/30 front and rear sight until you find the correct M91 parts.

You might check the For Sale trader over at Gunboards and see if any of these parts are available there, and also put an an ad on the Wanted To Buy trader forum there also.

Donkeypunch0420
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Thank you Marcus. I always read your posts several times to make sure I didn't miss anything. Looks like I'll be throwing Russian parts onto the Mosin until I can slowly accumulate the missing Finn parts.

Fate
01-03-2013, 1:10 PM
Sounds to me like a Herculean task. Good luck!

I would shoot it first to see if it's even worth rescuing or if it should be further parted out.

Lurch762
01-03-2013, 1:52 PM
Do you need a replacement stock? I have a 91/30 stock with buttplate, upper handguard and front barrel band available if you're interested.

Flyin Brian
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd help if I could, but I sold my last spare Finn M91 stock to Ted at 7.62X54r.net last year. The front sight (blade is correct, no hood) and barrel band are fairly easy to find, but the rear sight base and stock are going to be difficult. The rear sight on a true M91 is the same whether it's Finnish or Russian; the Finns just crossed out the elevation markings in Arshins and stamped the other side of the base with Meters. Since most 1940 M91s are valued around $300 and you would be lucky to find the parts for $350, it sure doesn't sound like it will be worth it money-wise to restore... but if you're just trying to get back something that Bubba destroyed, you're actions are honorable.

I'd estimate $150 for a nice stock, $30+ for barrel band, $50+ for a rear sight base and ladder, $20 for a front sight, $50 for cleaning rod, $50+ for handguard... it adds up quick!! Good luck.