PDA

View Full Version : HRA Garand

Badmusic
01-01-2013, 3:59 PM
Finally got out to the range to fire my first Garand. Fired about 72 rounds just to see how consistent she shoots over 8 targets. Windage was dead on center on all targets at mechanical zero. Elevation was slightly low at 75 yds. Was able using "kentucky windage" after about 48 rds to hit a five gallon former propane tank 6 out of 12 tries at 220 yds. Very happy with that. Will make sight adjustments next trip.
(Also got to try out my M1A for first time today too)

QUESTION: I was using early 70's Korean surplus, (headstamped KA) which has corrosive primers. Other than the chamber and bore, what additional parts should I be worried about being exposed to the primer chemicals for cleaning purposes? I ran solvent and oil on a bore snake, then patched the bore with oil, and dry patched it to finish. Used a mop and nylon brush on the chamber, with solvent and oil, and then dry patched as well.

TRICKSTER
01-01-2013, 4:13 PM
Bolt head, gas cylinder, oprod.

See hear for cleaning tips. Bottom of page covers corrosive ammo.
http://www.garandgear.com/cleaning-your-m1-garand

Pete1979
01-01-2013, 9:58 PM
Sounds like you had a great outing. One of the greatest days of my life was the day I walked out of the store with my HRA M1 and my NM M1A. I probably paid a bit too much for the M1 but I would do it again. The Korean stuff is ok but HXP is better. I hear PRVI is loading Garand Specific ammo now, if you don't reload yet, their brass is pretty good.

Exodus343
01-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Sounds like you had a great outing. One of the greatest days of my life was the day I walked out of the store with my HRA M1 and my NM M1A. I probably paid a bit too much for the M1 but I would do it again. The Korean stuff is ok but HXP is better. I hear PRVI is loading Garand Specific ammo now, if you don't reload yet, their brass is pretty good.

any links on where to buy?? :)

Pete1979
01-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I think AIM surplus has it, haven't checked Wideners but they are sure to have it eventually.

Exodus343
01-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I think AIM surplus has it, haven't checked Wideners but they are sure to have it eventually.

sold out at aim :(

pro-nra
01-02-2013, 6:54 AM
Get the HXP from CMP. It is the cheapest M2 ammo you can get anywhere. Right now they only have loose rounds of 200/can. They are non corrosive and very good shooting ammo and IMO better shooting than the USGI ball.

Exodus343
01-02-2013, 8:28 AM
My wallets really going to hurt during tax season haha

*edit scratch that, can't shoot magnetic ammo here in southern california T.T