PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 512 Questions

pslung
08-21-2007, 5:25 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought an Eotech 512, and I've noticed a few "strange" things about it. I'm hoping that some experts can shine some light on the issues:

1. On the Eotech web site, it says that the Eotech can not be detected from the muzzle end, even with a night scope. However, when I turn my Eotech to the max brightness setting, I can clearly see this piece of glass on top of the view port glowing red, even from the muzzle side. Is anyone else seeing this, or is this a problem with my Eotech?

2. On a sunny day with a white back ground, the Eotech reticle tends to get a little washed out for me, even on the max setting. I can still see the reticle, but not very clearly against a white background. Does anyone else have this problem?

By the way, I think my Eotech 512 is revision F, since there is an "F" stamped below the "Military Use". Thanks in advance!

aplinker
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I've never turned my EOTechs up enough to notice a muzzle-side glow, but I'll check when I'm home.

The fact you can see the reticle at all with a white background on a sunny day is a miracle -- have you ever used a cheap red-dot, Aimpoint or anything else? Talk about washed out... Regardless, of course it's going to appear to dim. That's why it has different settings. However, I can see my reticle while aiming at a 100W incandescent lamp.

Keep in mind you WANT the reticle to be as dim as possible, but still be able to quickly see and find it. It should never appear "bright." If it does, turn it down, cause you're going to wash out the target.

pslung
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I've never turned my EOTechs up enough to notice a muzzle-side glow, but I'll check when I'm home.

The fact you can see the reticle at all with a white background on a sunny day is a miracle -- have you ever used a cheap red-dot, Aimpoint or anything else? Talk about washed out... Regardless, of course it's going to appear to dim. That's why it has different settings. However, I can see my reticle while aiming at a 100W incandescent lamp.

Keep in mind you WANT the reticle to be as dim as possible, but still be able to quickly see and find it. It should never appear "bright." If it does, turn it down, cause you're going to wash out the target.

Well, the main thing for me is to know if all this is "normal". I bought my Eotech used off Ebay, and I'm hoping that I didn't get a damaged unit or something.

I can still see the reticle on a bright background, but it definitely doesn't "jump out" at me, even at max brightness setting. I would have to kinda look for it for maybe a fraction of a second. I guess this is considered normal?

On my Eotech, you can see the red glow very clearly. If this is normal, then I hate to see some guy in Iraq using it during the night. I took it into the bathroom, pointed it at the mirror, and turned off the light. The glow is like a mark on your head.

Forestboy
08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, the main thing for me is to know if all this is "normal". I bought my Eotech used off Ebay, and I'm hoping that I didn't get a damaged unit or something.

I can still see the reticle on a bright background, but it definitely doesn't "jump out" at me, even at max brightness setting. I would have to kinda look for it for maybe a fraction of a second. I guess this is considered normal?

On my Eotech, you can see the red glow very clearly. If this is normal, then I hate to see some guy in Iraq using it during the night. I took it into the bathroom, pointed it at the mirror, and turned off the light. The glow is like a mark on your head.

The military use the NV compatible EOTech's. Unless the bad guy has a really good NOD on his head he won't see it...

pslung
08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The military use the NV compatible EOTech's. Unless the bad guy has a really good NOD on his head he won't see it...

So do you also notice this glow on your Eotech?

I think the NV compatible Eotechs require the soldier to use NOD with it, which may not always happen. It may be possible for the soldier to simply set the Eotech to a low brightness level for night operations. I guess I should try that to see if there is still a glow.

ROCKETW19
08-22-2007, 1:58 PM
i wish i was home! i want to see if i can see the red glow at night. i will check tonight when i get home. i think like you said put the settin on lower and you wont see it but i will check.

bruce_ventura
08-22-2007, 7:58 PM
My Eotech is elsewhere so I can't confirm your observations. I think your Eotech is fine. I'll check tomorrow.

If I read your post right, you have the Eotech on the max brightness setting, and then you can see the glow against a dark background. What's the problem? When used in low light, the Eotech is turned down. Can you still see the glow when it is turned down?

Incidentally, my gripe with the Eotech is the reticle is too big and very grainy. Otherwise, its a pretty good design.

Forestboy
08-22-2007, 8:03 PM
So do you also notice this glow on your Eotech?

I think the NV compatible Eotechs require the soldier to use NOD with it, which may not always happen. It may be possible for the soldier to simply set the Eotech to a low brightness level for night operations. I guess I should try that to see if there is still a glow.

Yes you have to have a NOD to use it that way.

I see what your talking about, but the reticle is way to bright when you can see that glow. In low light you can put it on the lowest setting. In bright light you have to put it on the higher/est setting.

pslung
08-22-2007, 8:13 PM
If I read your post right, you have the Eotech on the max brightness setting, and then you can see the glow against a dark background. What's the problem? When used in low light, the Eotech is turned down. Can you still see the glow when it is turned down?

You can see the glow from the muzzle end, not the user end. This means that your enemies could possibly see the glow of your Eotech. One of the selling features of the Eotech is that it's not detectible from the muzzle end, even if the enemy is using night vision devices.

pslung
08-22-2007, 8:21 PM
Ok. So here's my test. I turned off the lights so it's completely dark. Then I set the Eotech setting so that the reticle is barely visible to me. I don't think that's actually the lowest setting, since I can press the "down" button until I don't see the reticle anymore, even in complete darkness. Then I pressed the "up" button once, and look at the muzzle end of the Eotech closely to see I can identify any red glow with the naked eyes in complete darkness.

The result is, I can see a faint red glow after 5 presses of the "up" button. It's barely visible to the naked eye, and I had to look pretty close to see it. However, if the enemy has NOD, I'm sure it's pretty detectible.

Anyone else have any results?

aplinker
08-23-2007, 1:16 AM
OK, so this is what I see...

I pulled out both my 512's and my 552. They all acted the same.

I didn't really realize how friggin bright they were on the highest setting. It hurt my eyes in the darkened room to look at the reticle.

It takes me about 8 clicks up from mini in very low-light conditions to see anything on the muzzle side. It's definitely downward in projection from the top.

If I crank up the brightness to the max it absolutely throws a muzzle side glare, but this I can see comes from the small amount of reflection still generated by the anti-reflective coated glass. Probably about a 0.1% reflection.

At any level I can set the reticle so it doesn't wash out what I'd be aiming at there's essentially no muzzle side light visible.

I think your unit is normal. I know how it is with eBay stuff -- any issues make you think it's an eBay thing.

Again, the reticle should be set so you can just barely see it readily. It shouldn't leap out at you or you'll be seeing reticle and not target.

maxicon
08-23-2007, 8:24 AM
Incidentally, my gripe with the Eotech is the reticle is too big and very grainy. Otherwise, its a pretty good design.

The graininess is due to the laser - it's called speckle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle). LED illuminated sights don't exhibit speckle, but the laser is what makes the holographic sights work.

Mute
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
On the graininess issue, don't look directly at the reticle. Superimpose on target and look at your target.

bruce_ventura
08-23-2007, 8:57 PM
The graininess is due to the laser - it's called speckle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle). LED illuminated sights don't exhibit speckle, but the laser is what makes the holographic sights work.

Damn, you're right! I never thought to look at the fine print on the instructions. That explains a lot. No wonder the reticle is so grainy.

Incidentally, since the reticle is projected from infinity, it looks grainy even if I focus on the target. I'm not sure what Mute is getting at.

I forgot to take the Eotech home today so that I could see what you'all are talking about. I'll do it tomorrow.

stator
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi All,

I recently bought an Eotech 512, and I've noticed a few "strange" things about it. I'm hoping that some experts can shine some light on the issues:

1. On the Eotech web site, it says that the Eotech can not be detected from the muzzle end, even with a night scope. However, when I turn my Eotech to the max brightness setting, I can clearly see this piece of glass on top of the view port glowing red, even from the muzzle side. Is anyone else seeing this, or is this a problem with my Eotech?

2. On a sunny day with a white back ground, the Eotech reticle tends to get a little washed out for me, even on the max setting. I can still see the reticle, but not very clearly against a white background. Does anyone else have this problem?

By the way, I think my Eotech 512 is revision F, since there is an "F" stamped below the "Military Use". Thanks in advance!

Mine is the same Eotech rev F, what you describe matches mine.

Prince50
08-27-2007, 7:50 PM
Mine too. Starting from the dot being visible and calling that "V", I can not see any muzzle end light from V, to V+8 clicks. at V+9 I see light.

I took some Gen1 NV binocs, and went into my vault. turned off the lights and left the Eotech 512 on V+9. I could see glow but dimly. I could not see glow two clicks lower at V+7. This is gen 1 and at a distance of 2 feet, so YMMV.

your Eotech is just fine, as mine performs the same and was purchsaed from Al B. An Eotech dealer in Westminster, Ca.

Darin

bruce_ventura
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I finally did the experiment. I turned the Eotech on at the lowest setting that allowed me to still see the reticle clearly with somewhat dark adapted eyes in a dark room. With an AN/PVS-7 (Gen 3) night vision goggle (NVG) I could not see any light coming out the front (muzzle end) of the Eotech from several feet away.

The Eotech was 12 inches or so in front of a wall, however, and the NVG could see a faint glow from the projected reticle hitting the wall from 10 feet away. My dark adapted eyes could not see this glow. If the Eotech were on a rifle, then that glow would be coming from the general area of the shooter's dominant eye. Not good if the bad guy has an NVG and you don't.

When I turn the Eotech up six clicks, the reticle is too bright for night adapted eyes. The NVG can see light coming out the front of the Eotech and reflecting off the battery compartment. The glow from the prejected reticle hitting the wall is easily visible with the NVG and with dark adapted eyes.

When I put the Eotech on the NV setting, I could see the reticle clearly with the NVG but could not see any glow coming out the front of the Eotech, nor could the NVG see the projected reticle hitting the wall behind.

Lesson: To win this fight, you should match the opponent. Use an NVG if you think the bad guy has it. Otherwise, you're not giving yourself away by using the Eotech, unless you turn up the reticle brightness too high.

PIRATE14
09-02-2007, 7:53 AM
Pretty sure the 512 doesn't have the NV settings..........

If your worried about people seeing you at night you've been watching too many movies or video games........

Sounds like your EOTECH is just fine..........

M5police
12-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Dude the ZOMBIES might see you!!!! That is a thing I noticed about Eotechs too...when turned up high you can see the signature on muzzle end of it. I switched to Aimpoints because of that and dont have this problem along with the short battery life.

Satex
12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I could just barely see the red glow you are talking bout.