PDA

View Full Version : Carrying gun case around in public?

Roo
08-21-2007, 3:35 PM
Went to the range and wanted to get my car washed on the way home. I have a SUV so the gun cannot be locked in the trunk and I was really hesitant to leave it in the back since at this car wash you cannot keep your eye on your car at all times. So I was thinking hey, the gun is locked inside a locked case, what if I carry the case in and leave the keys in the car, is that illegal? But I just went home and dropped off the gun and went back. But sometimes you may not want to leave the firearm you are responsible for where someone with questioned integrity may be able to get their hands on it. Anyone have any input?

Budd
08-21-2007, 4:08 PM
keep the gun lock key in your pocket? Leave gun in case in car?:confused:

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-21-2007, 4:09 PM
Just put it in a guitar case and be done with it.

Tweak338
08-21-2007, 4:13 PM

It works well :D

pnkssbtz
08-21-2007, 4:28 PM
keep the gun lock key in your pocket? Leave gun in case in car?:confused:

Reading comprehension FTW?

Went to the range and wanted to get my car washed on the way home. I have a SUV so the gun cannot be locked in the trunk and I was really hesitant to leave it in the back since at this car wash you cannot keep your eye on your car at all times. So I was thinking hey, the gun is locked inside a locked case, what if I carry the case in and leave the keys in the car, is that illegal? But I just went home and dropped off the gun and went back. But sometimes you may not want to leave the firearm you are responsible for where someone with questioned integrity may be able to get their hands on it. Anyone have any input?

Roo
08-21-2007, 4:40 PM
I am not worried about them taking the gun out and shooting up the place. I am more worried about them just taking the whole damn case. Not the best people work at car washes

Shane916
08-21-2007, 4:45 PM
We're talking about a handgun case right? :)

c good
08-21-2007, 4:49 PM
You did the right thing Roo. While there is no law that I'm aware of that prevents you from having the guncase (and an unloaded firearm inside) with you while the car goes through the wash, you were smart to not do it. Even smarter to not leave it in the car for anyone to grab. I NEVER leave an unattended gun/guncase in my vehicle even if I'm just stopping at the store to pick up supplies on my way to the range. Kudos.... c good

-aK-
08-21-2007, 4:52 PM
Roo,

Carrying that case inside the gas station or car wash place in order to sit down and wait for your car to be washed wouldn't be illegal. If it is a hand gun or "assault weapon" then the case has to be locked. As far as I know CA law doesn't say anything about having the keys on you or not. That would be irrelevant.

Only thing to worry about is if you had a hand gun or "assault weapon" and they were not unloaded and locked or if you were not making a reasonable stop/detour on your way home from the range.

savageevo
08-21-2007, 5:07 PM
Just carry around a empty computer bag. you could put that LOCKED gun case in the computer bag. It should fit perfectly. If I only had two choices where One. leave in car where lots of workers have access to your car or Two. Take with you in a computer bag, I would take two. Lessor of two evils:confused:

Roo
08-21-2007, 5:15 PM
It was rifle case, and it is about 3 feet long so I would be noticed :). I just didn't want some hardcore liberal to see the gun and call the cops to make a point. Thanks for the replies

M. Sage
08-21-2007, 5:24 PM
Just carry it in with you. If they freak and call the cops, the cops will probably wonder what the BFD is.

If it is a hand gun or "assault weapon" then the case has to be locked..

If it's an AW, he'd have to have the owner's permission to bring it onto the property.

ocabj
08-21-2007, 5:42 PM
Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

markymark
08-21-2007, 6:32 PM

I saw one of those on my range trip last week. Very cool and unassuming.

five.five-six
08-21-2007, 6:42 PM
I am not worried about them taking the gun out and shooting up the place. I am more worried about them just taking the whole damn case. Not the best people work at car washes

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE UNDERHANDED DISPARIGAING REMARKS ABOUT THE POOR PEOPLE WHO RISK THEY'ER LIVED JUST TO DO THE WORK THAT AMREICANS WONT. :mad:

aplinker
08-21-2007, 7:21 PM
I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE UNDERHANDED DISPARIGAING REMARKS ABOUT THE POOR PEOPLE WHO RISK THEY'ER LIVED JUST TO DO THE WORK THAT AMREICANS WONT. :mad:

You're right. The people who steal every unattached bit of change out of my car while washing it deserve my respect. So does the maid who stole money and valuables from my house.

They are good people just trying to steal their way to a better life.

I'm all for defending people who deserve it, but given that it's about a 50/50 proposition as to whether I have most my $ stolen from my car when it's washed, I think his feelings of mistrust are well founded. Oh I almost forgot about the time they stole a platinum bracelet and an mp3 player.

Roo
08-21-2007, 7:33 PM
You're right. The people who steal every unattached bit of change out of my car while washing it deserve my respect. So does the maid who stole money and valuables from my house.

They are good people just trying to steal their way to a better life.

I'm all for defending people who deserve it, but given that it's about a 50/50 proposition as to whether I have most my $ stolen from my car when it's washed, I think his feelings of mistrust are well founded. Oh I almost forgot about the time they stole a platinum bracelet and an mp3 player.

Yea its funny when you get back in your car and you an tell all the quarters from your ash tray are gone... just the quarters... I have also had DVD's stolen out of my car.

I am not so sure about the guitar case.. Guitars are expensive, and someone who is going to steal is going to be eying a guitar case.

Tweak338
08-21-2007, 7:47 PM
I am not so sure about the guitar case.. Guitars are expensive, and someone who is going to steal is going to be eying a guitar case.

Venkman was implying that if your rifle was in a Guitar case, you could carry it around while waiting. And no one would even think it was a firearm.

M. Sage
08-21-2007, 7:55 PM

ROFL!

Trust nobody you don't know WELL with your firearms.

AJAX22
08-21-2007, 7:56 PM
When my brother got his AR he put it in a pelican case and is getting HAZMAT stickers for it, yellow caution tape and medical/biological hazzard warning labels from some of his friends who work at labs.

Whoever steals it will be easy to spot, they'll be the guy with a pair of nutz the size of bowling balls.

swhatb
08-21-2007, 8:25 PM

did you know that's illegal :eek: it's considered masking a weapon.

there's actually a law pertaining as to what you cannot transport a weapon in.

Tweak338
08-21-2007, 8:43 PM

Want to link it or copy paste it?

ke6guj
08-21-2007, 8:47 PM

I think you are referring to "camouflaging firearms containers" which are only illegal when capable of being fired while inside the container, such as the MP5 briefcase. Otherwise, as long as the container meets the storage requirements of the law, what the container looks like shouldn't matter.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any ....camouflaging firearm container,
(9) As used in this section, a "camouflaging firearm container" means a container which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It is designed and intended to enclose a firearm.
(B) It is designed and intended to allow the firing of the enclosed firearm by external controls while the firearm is in the container.
(C) It is not readily recognizable as containing a firearm. "Camouflaging firearm container" does not include any camouflaging covering used while engaged in lawful hunting or while going to or returning from a lawful hunting expedition.

eta34
08-21-2007, 9:36 PM
Also remember that there is case law stating that if a LEO observes a firearm case in plain sight in your vehicle, he/she has the right to inspect its contents. Just a friendly reminder.

Richard
08-21-2007, 9:57 PM

Why tempt fate.....you did right and took it home. You risk unnecessary attention which may land you in legal entanglements even though you're in the right.

I say this because there is nothing to prevent someone from calling the cops and making accusations. It happened to a friends son recently.....charges were not filed but it cost him 30k for bail, lawyer and investigator. All because someone made accusations. (NON WEAPONS RELATED)

You just don't know how a cop (rookie) will handle a situation dealing with what could be perceived as an AW. Assume he doesn't know about OLL.

I'm not saying not to have or build one( I feel you're well within the law)
I'm just saying the unnecessary exposure is not worth the money and time you could lose....not to mention the emotional stress you will endure.

Food for thought......or not:)

Richard
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Also remember that there is case law stating that if a LEO observes a firearm case in plain sight in your vehicle, he/she has the right to inspect its contents. Just a friendly reminder.

There you have it..........ETA can ammo cans,targets,gun accessories, etc. give an officer probable cause to snoop around? I'm guessing yes, but to what extent?

packnrat
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
When my brother got his AR he put it in a pelican case and is getting HAZMAT stickers for it, yellow caution tape and medical/biological hazzard warning labels from some of his friends who work at labs.

Whoever steals it will be easy to spot, they'll be the guy with a pair of nutz the size of bowling balls.

do not use hazmat lables on anything used in the open.
you can and will run into toubles. local leo,dot,and other unknow gov people.

eta34
08-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Richard, I cannot speak to ammo cans, targets, or anything else. Our legal update dealt specifically with firearm cases. Make sure they are in the trunk or covered up in case you run into a cop who isn't as cool as I am. If I do stop you and observe a case, I will definitely ask you about it. I will probably want to ogle it since it is likely nicer than anything I have in my safe :)

tiki
08-22-2007, 5:28 AM

I would rather have the change stolen out of my ashtray at the car wash than my pension or 401K by some ******* from Enron making $2,000,000 a year.

Edit: Theft isn't a characteristic unique to lower income people or people with no college degrees. :)
We get laptops stolen at work pretty regularly and I don't know anyone there that doesn't have at least a 4 year degree and/or a starting salary under $65,000. ;)

aplinker
08-22-2007, 9:18 AM
I would rather have the change stolen out of my ashtray at the car wash than my pension or 401K by some ******* from Enron making $2,000,000 a year.

Edit: Theft isn't a characteristic unique to lower income people or people with no college degrees. :)
We get laptops stolen at work pretty regularly and I don't know anyone there that doesn't have at least a 4 year degree and/or a starting salary under $65,000. ;)

I made no distinction about who steals. I was only referring to people with access to my things. Thanks for reading your own personal feelings into it, though.

Californio
08-22-2007, 9:27 AM
Hide in plain sight.

Get one of these, use a strong wooden hanger and slip the case "D" ring over the hanger so the weight is held by the hanger and not the cover. Hang it on the hook in the back of the SUV.

http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelid=93244&sourceid=NXTAG00001

Jicko
08-22-2007, 9:55 AM
JUST WASH YOUR OWN CAR!!!

Duh!!

:D

supersonic
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Usually, the "worst" of the lot will steal any loose cash/change they find in ashtray/under seats, etc. It would be just a little hard to not be seen taking something THAT GI-NORMOUS out of yer ride. Can happen, though, I guess. Stranger things have happened to me when I have fallen asleep for a few minutes in my car after a range trip!!!!!!!:eek:
S.S.:43:

FreshTapCoke
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I saw one of those on my range trip last week. Very cool and unassuming.

Oooh, was it at Angeles Crest? That was probably me =D

sloguy
08-22-2007, 4:45 PM

could you please quote what caselaw states that a leo has the right to perform that inspection? does that caselaw also apply to a locked case? and if so, would a driver be obligated to produce a key to the case?

StukaJr
08-22-2007, 5:12 PM
"Assault Weapon Bags" are favored by photographers and the like for dimensions and pocket versatility - I've carried definitive rifle bags stuffed through NYC and Port Authority and nobody ever bothered me.

Even if you catch attention and someone panics - you are transporting a long gun with ammo separately, so you are good to go... If you have something in your bag you shouldn't - then it's entirely different manner.

markymark
08-22-2007, 5:24 PM
Oooh, was it at Angeles Crest? That was probably me =D

Angeles Shooting Range? I was the asian guy that complimented you on the case. On a side note, I think I'll be making another trip out there tomorrow. :)

proraptor
08-22-2007, 7:55 PM
washing an offroad car like an FJ cruiser should be against the law....LOL

M. Sage
08-22-2007, 8:35 PM

It's only illegal if you can fire the weapon when it's inside the container.

eta34
08-22-2007, 9:47 PM
I don't have the actual case in front of me. It was from one of our legal updates during briefing a few months ago. If I can find it, I will post it.

sloguy
08-22-2007, 9:57 PM
I don't have the actual case in front of me. It was from one of our legal updates during briefing a few months ago. If I can find it, I will post it.

thank you very much.