PDA

View Full Version : 40 day wait??

IW378
12-31-2012, 7:33 PM
Long story short. Last weekend I went into my LGS and saw a used rifle that I wanted to purchase. They told me that they that the rifle could not be released for dros until after 30 days expired , they just got it in. Then after the 30 days I start the dros.
I paid for it and they put it in the back. Does this sound correct?
Thanks

ke6guj
12-31-2012, 7:38 PM
yes, when many gunshops buy used firearms, they have to send in the firearm's info to the local LEA to have it checked to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen, just like pawn shops do. they have to hold it for 30-days for it to "clear".

Rackatak
12-31-2012, 7:38 PM
^^^^^BEAT ME TO IT!

I believe Pawn Shops have to wait at least 30 days before reselling an item they purchase so it could be recovered in case it was stolen. I suspect a gun shop taking in a used long gun may have the same requirements.

huntercf
12-31-2012, 7:39 PM
Was it a consignment gun? I have heard that consignments have to wait 30 days before they can be DROS'd.
Hopefully someone will come along with better knowledge. Calling Librarian.

huntercf
12-31-2012, 7:40 PM
Was it a consignment gun? I have heard that consignments have to wait 30 days before they can be DROS'd.
Hopefully someone will come along with better knowledge. Calling Librarian.

Librarian
12-31-2012, 7:43 PM
Long story short. Last weekend I went into my LGS and saw a used rifle that I wanted to purchase. They told me that they that the rifle could not be released for dros until after 30 days expired , they just got it in. Then after the 30 days I start the dros.
I paid for it and they put it in the back. Does this sound correct?
Thanks

Yes.

State requires a 30-day hold on the FFL; state then requires a 10-day wait on the buyer.

See http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fdasoverview -- Q. Does the 30-day hold on all personal property still apply for FDAS transactions?
A. Yes. Secondhand dealers and pawnbrokers shall retain all personal property reported under Business & Professions Code section 21628.2 for a period of 30 days from the date of the report in FDAS. (Business & Professions Code section 21636.) The 30-day retention period commences on the date the dealer report of firearm acquisition was electronically submitted to the BOF via FDAS.

P5Ret
12-31-2012, 8:02 PM
On consignment sales I guess it could vary store to store. I just sold one threw a consignment and the dealer treated it like a ppt, he sold it buyer did the paperwork he called me to come in and sign the paperwork as the seller.

P5Ret
12-31-2012, 8:02 PM
On consignment sales I guess it could vary store to store. I just sold one threw a consignment and the dealer treated it like a ppt, he sold it buyer did the paperwork he called me to come in and sign the paperwork as the seller.

winnre
12-31-2012, 8:08 PM
Why not start the DROS on day 21?

IW378
12-31-2012, 8:11 PM
Thanks for the intel.What's up with all the double posting lately ?? On a side note it is a semi auto rifle and I was thinking about proposed new regulations
(that I do not think will get through). I already paid for it but did not do the dros yet. Let's say new regs get passed before I get through dros ?? See what I'm getting at ?
This is gonna be a long 40 days

DrewN
01-01-2013, 6:59 AM
Why not start the DROS on day 21?

That's what my FFL does.

xjdesertfox
01-01-2013, 9:05 AM
Same here, just bought a g19 on consignment. DROS was started on day 21.

12voltguy
01-01-2013, 9:38 AM
my dealer does not put them out untill the 30 days is up....but told me about 1 early and I had him hold it:)