PDA

View Full Version : Did long gun open carry get banned?

winnre
12-31-2012, 5:00 PM
I don't see it on the list of new laws....

http://www.californiality.com/2010/12/new-california-laws-2011.html

savannah
12-31-2012, 5:03 PM
Assembly Bill 1527 - Long Gun Open Carry Ban*

The new gun law prohibits open carry of unloaded long guns, such as rifles and shotguns, in public places. This is a follow-up to last year's AB 144, which prohibited the open carry of unloaded handguns in public places.* Read the official text of AB 1527 because there are several other provisions within the new gun law.* Law effective January 1, 2013.*

winnre
12-31-2012, 5:09 PM
Sorry, my bad. I did not know the number and things get blurry fast. :>

Librarian
12-31-2012, 5:35 PM
No.

It's out in public where the law applies, outside of a vehicle.

mud99
12-31-2012, 5:39 PM
No.

Yes, I just realized that I missed 26405(a) which allows carry inside your house. Deleted so I don't spread dumb rumors.

Lone_Gunman
12-31-2012, 6:49 PM
You have about 4 more hours and then it's illegal...

MattyB
12-31-2012, 6:57 PM
4 hours 3 mins according to my clock

winnre
12-31-2012, 7:02 PM
You have about 4 more hours and then it's illegal...

You know someone is open carrying now right? And at midnight shove the lower receiver in the trunk and keep carrying the parts....

taperxz
12-31-2012, 7:02 PM
Still legal to open carry where I live.

stix213
12-31-2012, 9:02 PM
You still got 2 hours of OC left, soak up the last drops of freedom

stix213
12-31-2012, 9:03 PM
No.

By my reading it can cause problems when loading/unloading your car if not in a private garage and guns are uncased. Do you agree?

rplusplus
12-31-2012, 9:07 PM
And this is how freedom dies...

taperxz
12-31-2012, 9:36 PM
By my reading it can cause problems when loading/unloading your car if not in a private garage and guns are uncased. Do you agree?

No. There are many exemptions. In fact, the biggest part of this law is to prevent open carry exebitionists. Even in a vehicle, it doesn't need to be encased or locked except in the prohibited school zones. It's also a law for incorporated cities/city counties only.

jamesob
12-31-2012, 9:45 PM
Banned. Thanks to some of our friends here. They also got OC of handguns banned.

Good job, boys!

Yea those damn people exercising their right caused us to lose that right. Man that pisses me off.

myk
12-31-2012, 9:52 PM
^^^Rights or not, yeah, they did...

warbird
12-31-2012, 10:03 PM
if you have a right but cannot exercise it then you have no right at all. In November did you re-elect the very politicians that voted to ban open carry because you were greedy and wanted the pork barrel projects that politician could bring in to your area. Did you sell your right to open carry by how you voted to send these same people back to Sacramento and Washington? How does Yee surivive the voting to make it back to Sacramento time and time again and don't tell me most of his votes came from anti-gun people? How does Feinstein survive election after election if every pro gun advocate in her area votes against her? we have some of the lowest voter turnouts and that should make it a lot easier to get rid of them. I suspect the blame lies with us but people will blame not joining the NRA, not complaining enough on forums like this, or something else instead of themselves. The plain truth is you failed to get off your da--couch and get into that voting booth. I have voted in every election in Sacramento for the last 40 years local and otherwise and this year i voted against every incumbent period. I wanted a fresh start and at least I tried. we have ourselves to blame for where we are.

taperxz
12-31-2012, 10:06 PM
if you have a right but cannot exercise it then you have no right at all. In November did you re-elect the very politicians that voted to ban open carry because you were greedy and wanted the pork barrel projects that politician could bring in to your area. Did you sell your right to open carry by how you voted to send these same people back to Sacramento and Washington? How does Yee surivive the voting to make it back to Sacramento time and time again and don't tell me most of his votes came from anti-gun people? How does Feinstein survive election after election if every pro gun advocate in her area votes against her? we have some of the lowest voter turnouts and that should make it a lot easier to get rid of them. I suspect the blame lies with us but people will blame not joining the NRA, not complaining enough on forums like this, or something else instead of themselves. The plain truth is you failed to get off your da--couch and get into that voting booth. I have voted in every election in Sacramento for the last 40 years local and otherwise and this year i voted against every incumbent period. I wanted a fresh start and at least I tried. we have ourselves to blame for where we are.

Your wrong. If there was a 100% turn out in this state. We would still be in the minority.

Meplat
12-31-2012, 10:07 PM
So a dummy receiver would completely frustrate their intentions; which is to not frighten the horses, no?

myk
12-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Your wrong. If there was a 100% turn out in this state. We would still be in the minority.

EXACTLY. Don't let the 3.76 hour wait time at Turner's during the last few weeks fool you; gun owners are in the minority in California...

Wrangler John
01-01-2013, 4:06 AM
EXACTLY. Don't let the 3.76 hour wait time at Turner's during the last few weeks fool you; gun owners are in the minority in California...

Well, no offense myk, I finally spent a minute figuring out how to block that distracting avatar. So to quote the old commercial from decades ago: "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is." Thank gosh for Adblock Plus.

Most here don't remember years prior to 1968, because most weren't alive then, but one could openly carry a loaded handgun and could purchase firearms from Sears, the local hardware store, hobby shops or smoke shops, and of course any sporting goods store. You could sell your guns to anyone, at any time, no paperwork needed, no FFL because they didn't exist. It was even better, I purchased a handgun while in Kentucky, took immediate possession of it and brought it back to California without violating any law. In California there was a "three day cooling off period" at the time and they had the DROS for handguns. Firearms were available by mail order, were shipped to you by Railway Express Agency and the best military surplus stuff cost under $50.00.

The plan is to continue tightening the controls on everything, until no one remembers how freedom feels, then like a plant that receives ever diminishing water, freedom withers and dies. When no memory of freedom remains, then tyranny become the norm and everybody accepts it without question.

donny douchebag
01-01-2013, 4:44 AM
It's there, under gun laws. First one.

http://tinyurl.com/7n67vtj

Dutch3
01-01-2013, 5:34 AM
Most here don't remember years prior to 1968, because most weren't alive then, but one could openly carry a loaded handgun and could purchase firearms from Sears, the local hardware store, hobby shops or smoke shops, and of course any sporting goods store. You could sell your guns to anyone, at any time, no paperwork needed, no FFL because they didn't exist.

I remember. Guns for sale at KMart, Sears, Western Auto, Woolworth's, Montgomery Ward, etc. The sight of a gun in public didn't cause fear.

Nobody batted an eye when a couple of 14 year olds carried their .22s up the street to shoot acorns out of the oak trees or plink some tin cans. Gun racks in every pickup truck and station wagon.

I grew up in Simi Valley when it was mostly orchards and the hills weren't covered in tract housing. LA Ave. was a 2 lane road flanked by Eucalyptus trees and there were only two traffic lights in the entire town.

How did we get here from there? Now, you can't even discharge a BB gun in Simi without breaking the law.

Thankfully, the place I have lived for the past 27 years (population 330) still echoes those times. No carry restrictions here.

On the way to shoot two days ago with my wife, daughter and her friend, we saw a pair of bald eagles. I have never seen any up close before. It brought a tear to my eye. God Bless (what used to be) America.

GrizzlyGuy
01-01-2013, 8:05 AM
No. There are many exemptions. In fact, the biggest part of this law is to prevent open carry exebitionists. Even in a vehicle, it doesn't need to be encased or locked except in the prohibited school zones. It's also a law for incorporated cities/city counties only.

Yeppers, and our Redneck LTC's (hunting licenses) even exempt us in the incorporated lands just like they do for concealed and unloaded handguns (while on the way to/from hunting). The law sucks of course, but all I can say is:

kzldLJcorbo

:43:

intl1911
01-01-2013, 8:24 AM
I thought that I would weigh in on this.

I moved from California to back to my home state of Michigan in the end of 2011.

The reason for my move is because after 13 years of politicians stealing our rights, not just our gun rights but our human rights I was tired.

California (and New York) politicians are a cancer on the country and now Senator Feinstien wants to spread her insane laws through out the rest of the country.

The best way to stop this is through grass roots efforts. Contact every rep that you can and tell them to stop the attempt for an upcoming gun ban.

ONLY WE THE PEOPLE can draw the line and make our voices heard.

Gun bans will not stop violance in our schools. Returning the funding to our schools that thay they desperately need and increasing security measures is what they all need.

God bless us all and good luck California

Read this if you are interested
http://aegissolutionsllc.blogspot.com/

EM2
01-01-2013, 8:37 AM
Banned. Thanks to some of our friends here. They also got OC of handguns banned.

Good job, boys!

Yea those damn people exercising their right caused us to lose that right. Man that pisses me off.

^^^Rights or not, yeah, they did...

^^^NO they did not.^^^
YOU are wrong.
The corrupt politicians in Sac caused you to lose that right.

If you do know focus your animosity on the correct persons and do not fully understand the issue and what is at stake then you will not be in a position to help in this fight.

dieselpower
01-01-2013, 9:12 AM
Well, no offense myk, I finally spent a minute figuring out how to block that distracting avatar. So to quote the old commercial from decades ago: "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is." Thank gosh for Adblock Plus.

Most here don't remember years prior to 1968, because most weren't alive then, but one could openly carry a loaded handgun and could purchase firearms from Sears, the local hardware store, hobby shops or smoke shops, and of course any sporting goods store. You could sell your guns to anyone, at any time, no paperwork needed, no FFL because they didn't exist. It was even better, I purchased a handgun while in Kentucky, took immediate possession of it and brought it back to California without violating any law. In California there was a "three day cooling off period" at the time and they had the DROS for handguns. Firearms were available by mail order, were shipped to you by Railway Express Agency and the best military surplus stuff cost under $50.00.

The plan is to continue tightening the controls on everything, until no one remembers how freedom feels, then like a plant that receives ever diminishing water, freedom withers and dies. When no memory of freedom remains, then tyranny become the norm and everybody accepts it without question.

wow...who doesnt like a chunky Asian girl doing gun fingers and pew pew pew...:D

carrywisely_ca
01-01-2013, 10:07 AM
As of January 1, 2013 the open display of unloaded long guns is a crime.

CitaDeL
01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
I suppose it is impossible for you to not rub peoples noses in their mistakes. If that truly is the case, I will simply remind you that when someday you make a mistake, someone who is as self-satisfied in their position as you are may force your face down into the steaming pile of your 'accident'. I hope at that point, you will remember just how this might be used to divide gun owners and cause strife among a brotherhood who should express regret, lament the loss of liberty, and seek solidarity against our common enemies - instead of accusing the victim of the crime.

Drat.

I thought I had caught this earlier.

Finger-pointing is extremely unhelpful. Let's not.

Several earlier posts in the thread deleted; this one stays because it suggests right conduct.

// Librarian