View Full Version : Banning the AR-15, NFA Registration, and Heller

12-31-2012, 3:33 PM
How do these things intermingle? First, in Heller the Supreme Court ruled firearms "in common use at the time" are protected under the second amendment. They then applied that by saying handguns are in common use? They didn't specify any make or model of handgun. So the first litmus test of an AR-15 ban is in the gun in common use. It is certainly the most popular rifle I see on the range. And this is in California where we already have a "ban!" So it would seem if this got passed and taken to the Supreme Court it might be struck down.

Suppose the Supreme Court doesn't buy it though, and rules the AR-15 is not common. There are certainly more "handguns" than AR-15's, but if you broke it down it might get interesting. Are there more AR-15's than SIG P226's? Would a ban on SIG P226's be ok where a handgun ban is not? Second we have the proposed NFA registration. If we all register our AR-15's it may force the Supreme Courts hands as they could not ignore the number of registered firearms. The downside is this will probably take two-three years to get to the Supreme Court? Maybe the NRA will get an injuction in the meantime? Lots more questions than answers.

12-31-2012, 3:37 PM
You seem to be operating under the assumption that the people opposing us care what the law is or what the courts say.

Why would they start now?

12-31-2012, 3:38 PM
Main question being, what will the law actually say? See Librarian's sticky at the top of this forum before this thread is locked.

12-31-2012, 3:43 PM
I really want to post a lot of speculation on how I think these hypotheticals would play out assuming Obamacare keeps the Heller 5 alive long enough, but the mods should probably just delete this thread for now...

We don't know what is in the proposed ban because the bill has yet to be proposed in the first place.

12-31-2012, 4:13 PM
Everybody, please hold the AWB threads until Jan 3, when we expect a bill to be introduced.