PDA

View Full Version : WTB Gun Cleaning Services

brasscoe
08-21-2007, 9:33 AM
I have a nice collection I've been neglecting for some time and just can't find the time to clean them all. Anyone interested in spending some time in my garage cleaning for 25/hour? I'd prefer you have an itrader rating or a few people to vouch for you. Located in Chino Hills, CA PM if interested, thanks!

ryang
08-21-2007, 8:20 PM
Considering how easy it is to ruin barrels with over-enthusiastic cleaning (think scraping the cleaning rod against the muzzle crown) or a firearm's finish with even a brass brush this may not be the best idea. Just a friendly thought.

ocabj
08-21-2007, 10:00 PM
There's a difference between over-enthusiastic cleaning and improper cleaning.

And just because you aren't shooting corrosive doesn't mean fouling left in the bore won't cause pitting. Fouling attracts moisture. Moisture causes rust. Rust causes pitting. Thus, thorough cleaning is important.

Looking at the log book for my current AR competition upper, I've shot it in 35 different range sessions / matches with a round count of 1,517 rounds. That means I've cleaned the barrel more than 35 times (including break-in). You figure 30 or so patch/brush strokes per cleaning and that's about 1,000 passes of the cleaning rod down the bore. Barrel is still going strong and isn't exhibiting any problems due to damage from cleaning because I am using the proper tools and cleaning correctly.

Get the proper tools (bore guides, coated rods, good jags) and clean properly. Don't think you are extending the life of your firearm by running that rod and patch down the bore only once a year or by just using the same dirty Bore Snake a couple times after a range session.

Don't recommend a person to not clean a rifle thoroughly because they'll damage the gun. Recommend that a person clean the gun thoroughly AND properly so they won't damage the gun.

ryang
08-22-2007, 8:14 PM
There's a difference between over-enthusiastic cleaning and improper cleaning.We're probably arguing semantics here. It sounds like to you, "over enthusiastic" means cleaning more than necessary. I call that "excessive cleaning". To me, "over enthusiastic" implies someone who does a job too quickly and thus is sloppy. Haste makes waste and all that.

Don't recommend a person to not clean a rifle thoroughly because they'll damage the gun.You're reading something that isn't there. I was suggesting the original poster think twice about asking someone else to clean for them due to the increased potential for damage. I never equated through cleaning with gun damage.

VegasND
08-22-2007, 8:31 PM
Is it a full time position?