View Full Version : Selling unregistered pistol

12-31-2012, 2:39 PM

1. A person moved to CA from another state.
2. This person brought a pistol with them from that state.
3. The person did not register the pistol with the CA DOJ via the voluntary "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report" form.

If this person wanted to transfer this gun to another person in the State, would this person need to follow through with the voluntary registration prior to a PPT?

12-31-2012, 2:47 PM
No. No volreg or new resident paper required before sale.

It's a bad plan to avoid registering for any length of time beyond the 60 day limit, but selling instead of registering is an option for new residents.

But always try to follow the law.

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms#Handguns_must_b e_registered

12-31-2012, 2:50 PM

12-31-2012, 2:51 PM
Note: I neglected to mention this person has been here longer than the 60 day period.

12-31-2012, 2:55 PM
See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms#Handguns_must_b e_registered

Thanks. That URL is very helpful.

12-31-2012, 3:40 PM
The DOJ doesn't care if it was registered. For all they know he stored it out of state and brought it here last week.

12-31-2012, 3:47 PM
The DOJ cares more about getting it registered now (which the sale will do) than they do about the past failure. The DOJ has no way of knowing if the handgun was brought into this state 5 years ago or was just finally brought in yesterday so is still within the 60 day window, so don't expect an investigation.