View Full Version : STOP THE NRA: Microstamping up for a vote

Dont Tread on Me
08-21-2007, 7:30 AM
Incase you're short of time to write on this bill, remember that our friends at the Brady Bunch are sending out this stuff

Our highest priority bill in California, the Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007 (AB 1471), will be voted on very soon in the State Senate. This crime fighting piece of legislation will help law enforcement solve crimes committed with handguns and reduce gun trafficking in the state. The vote this year in the Senate is going to be extremely close, which makes your phone call particularly important. It is up to all of us to convince our State Senators to pass this common sense legislation.

Tell him/her: "As a Constituent, I Urge You to Support AB 1471: Remember, this is the Brady advice, NRA says NO on 1471!
Help California Police Solve Handgun Crimes."

The Crime Gun Identification Act would require that starting in 2010, new models of semi-automatic handguns be equipped with technology that allows police to match bullet shells found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. This technology, known as "microstamping" would substantially enhance law enforcement’s ability to rapidly identify and link shell casings found at a crime scene to the individual semi-automatic handgun from which it was fired.

Here is what you can do to help:

1. Call your California State Senator today.
Tell him/her: "As a constituent, I urge you to support AB 1471: Remember, this is the Brady advice, NRA says NO on 1471!
Help California police solve handgun crimes."
Click here to lookup your Senator's phone number.

2. Forward this e-mail to friends, family, and colleagues in California.

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts in California and across the country.

For more information on this legislation or to get involved locally in the gun violence prevention movement, please contact the California Brady Campaign Chapters.

Thank you for helping to reduce gun violence in California!

08-21-2007, 9:15 AM
Microstamping type of stuff is the gun control concept of the future. We need to stop it in this state, for our own protection, and to prevent it from spreading to other states. The Brady Campaign has figured out that the word "ban" is not working anymore. In fact the word "gun control" is no longer a positive word. So they are coming up with measures like this and calling them "safety" and "crime prevention" and so on.

We must a) stop this measure and b) co-opt and defuse those words.

08-21-2007, 9:53 AM
My letter to Arnie:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

I know it hasn't passed the assembly yet, but if it does, please veto AB 1471, the Crime Gun Identification Act. It sounds like a good idea to be able to identify crime guns more easily. Unfortunately this bill is fatally flawed. It has so many problems I can't list them all, but I'll list a few:

1.Revolvers don't eject shell casings.
2.It takes literally less than one minute for a competent person to swap barrels on common semi-autos, like the Glock for example.
3.It would take also about a minute for someone with a file or a hand-held grinder (Dremel) to remove the serial number imprinting markings.
4.There's a big risk of shell casings being “planted”. Go to the shooting range, pick up some shell casings, and scatter them around the crime scene.

These are just some of the most obvious and incurable problems with this bill. If I wanted to go into detail this letter would be too long.

Please veto this ill-conceived feel-good legislation.

If you want to do something to really improve safety in this state, help us pass a shall-issue concealed carry (CCW) law. Such laws have passed in 40 other states. It's time for California to join them.

By the way, I think you're a great governor and I hope you will run against Barbara Boxer as your next move.

08-21-2007, 4:32 PM
My letter to Arnie:

Copied, thanks.;)