PDA

View Full Version : HR 1022, NRA & Mrs McCarthy

dfletcher
08-20-2007, 1:36 PM
A bit of fortune telling or opinion requested ....

I think everyone has seen the "no gun bill gets passed without the NRA" quote from Mrs McCarthy. For the sake of discussion let's say she said it & it's true. NRA opposes HR 1022. The Dems are back in power, but don't have a practical majority (on the gun issue) nor the White House and 2008 is a presidential election year.

If 1022 can't pass without NRA approval and the NRA has come out against 1022, what's the point of her proceeding? Make headlines, get a compromise bill, influence the 2008 presidential race? Having lost a national election in 2000 in large part by being seen as anti gun, why would a Democrat push gun control for 2008?

If you're the NRA, do you want this bill to quickly die in 2007 and not be a 2008 campaign issue (Dems want to take your guns!!) or do you want the opposite to happen - have 1022 make it to a full vote in 2008, fall short and then do the "Dems want to take your guns!!" promo, all the while using the event for fund raising. Maybe get the Democrat presidential candidate in Sept 08 to answer the "Do you supprt HR 1022?" question?

BTW, I don't mention the fund raising as a negative or cheap shot - raising money matters.

I've always believed Joe Kennedy was correct - there are no accidents in politics. If the thing can't pass, why does it exist?

bwiese
08-20-2007, 2:35 PM
They can always say "they're trying" in letters to constituents and to support groups.

Much of politics is like that - wasted symbolic effort.

CCWFacts
08-20-2007, 2:57 PM
They can always say "they're trying" in letters to constituents and to support groups.

Much of politics is like that - wasted symbolic effort.

Clearly. Feinstein tried to introduce an AWB re-authorization in '04, when it was flat-out impossible for it to pass. She needs to be able to tell voters all the wonderful things she has done: "I introduced the Tyranny Enablement Act.. I mean, the Assault Weapons Ban and worked to get it passed, but the evil NRA got in the way of me taking away your freedom. So I'll keep on trying." Paraphrasing of course.

M. Sage
08-20-2007, 5:02 PM
If 1022 can't pass without NRA approval and the NRA has come out against 1022, what's the point of her proceeding? Make headlines, get a compromise bill, influence the 2008 presidential race? Having lost a national election in 2000 in large part by being seen as anti gun, why would a Democrat push gun control for 2008?

Because she was elected on her husband's corpse. He was a "victim of gun violence." Actually, he really was a victim of a psycho mass-murderer. However, she got elected by blaming the gun instead of the sick bastard who used it. She can't back down. She's painted herself into a corner now.