PDA

View Full Version : What's the youngest age I can transfer a gun to my kid?

Marthor
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
My son is 3. Can I transfer ownership to him now? Do I need any legal paperwork to do it or can I just write a note and sign it?

Thanks! :D

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
My son is 3. Can I transfer ownership to him now? Do I need any legal paperwork to do it or can I just write a note and sign it?

As of now, for handguns he has to be at least 18 years old and have a Handgun Safety Certificate. He would have to send in the Intra-Family handgun transfer form to CalDOJ along with $19 to register the transfer. For firearms other than handguns there is no age limit and no paperwork or reporting requirements.

Starting in 2014 the 18+ year old requirement and registration requirement will apply to all firearms.

parcours
12-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Legally, 18 for handguns using Intrafamily Transfer. I would imagine that after Jan 1, 2014, since long guns come under the same DROS system as handguns are today a similar transfer is required.

Marthor
12-30-2012, 1:40 PM
As of now, for handguns he has to be at least 18 years old and have a Handgun Safety Certificate. He would have to send in the Intra-Family handgun transfer form to CalDOJ along with $19 to register the transfer. For firearms other than handguns there is no age limit and no paperwork or reporting requirements.

Starting in 2014 the 18+ year old requirement and registration requirement will apply to all firearms.

Do I have to do those CA requirements if I'm military and not a resident of CA? My son is included on my PCS orders to CA.

I'm looking into getting a notorized bill of sale, but want to make sure I can do it. Also, some of my guns are in storage out-of-state. Do they need to be present for notorization?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 2:51 PM
Do I have to do those CA requirements if I'm military and not a resident of CA? My son is included on my PCS orders to CA.

I don't understand what you mean by "California requirements". There are no California requirements when it comes to transferring non-handguns to your 3 year old child. You can just give the guns to him. No paperwork or notes required.

If you are talking about transferring handguns to your 3 year old then you can't do that. Federal law and California law prohibit it.

choprzrul
12-30-2012, 2:52 PM
So, heaven forbid, the guns are in the fathers will for his 3 year old son; and something happens to OP, then what?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-30-2012, 3:13 PM
So, heaven forbid, the guns are in the fathers will for his 3 year old son; and something happens to OP, then what?

For non-handguns the kid just gets them. For handguns the law allows for transfer of title, but not possession to a juvenile if the parent has passed away. So the kid would own the handguns, but wouldn't be able to take possession until they turned 18.