PDA

View Full Version : Legalitys on SKS

EL_NinO619
12-30-2012, 12:59 PM
So I have a offer to get a couple of SKS's, But I am not certain on the legality's of them. I have a offer for both, Yugoslavian and Chinese sks.
If you have a Chinese pre ban can it have a larger detached mag or are you stuck with the 10 fixed? These will be shipped from out of state, so I do not want to waste time or money on a non legal CA rifle. Can I have a SKS with a detachable mag as long as its a 10 rounder. Or does it have to be a certain model with a fixed mag etc, there are so many rules I am confused. Basically what can I have in CA..:facepalm:

Vlad 11
12-30-2012, 1:24 PM
I think any SKS w detachable mag is no go.

Read the "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" right above on the page ^

CSACANNONEER
12-30-2012, 1:32 PM
A "SKS" with a detachable mag is not legal in CA. Any semi auto centerfire rifle with a fixed mag which holds more than 10 rounds is an AW in CA.

chillincody
12-30-2012, 1:33 PM
I think any SKS w detachable mag is no go.

Read the "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" right above on the page ^

this review the flowchart sks are weird some are banned by name others are banned by features

Quiet
12-30-2012, 1:37 PM
All SKS that have a fixed magazine capacity of 10 round or less is legal in CA.

Any SKS that uses detachable magazines are illegal in CA. [PC 30510(a)(11)]

All SKS that use detachable AK magazines are make/model banned in CA. [PC 30710]

Any SKS that have a fixed magazine capacity of greater than 10 rounds is illegal in CA. [PC 30515(a)(2)]

The Zastava M-59/66 (Yugoslavian made SKS style rifle) has a grenade launcher, which makes it illegal in CA. [PC 16460(a)(2)]
Remove the grenade launcher and it is legal in CA.

Penal Code 30510
As used in this chapter and in Sections 16780, 17000, and 27555, "assault weapon" means the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Penal Code 30710
Notwithstanding paragraph (11) of subdivision (a) of Section 30510, an "SKS rifle" under this article means all SKS rifles commonly referred to as "SKS Sporter" versions, manufactured to accept a detachable AK-47 magazine and imported into this state and sold by a licensed gun dealer, or otherwise lawfully possessed in this state by a resident of this state who is not a licensed gun dealer, between January 1, 1992, and December 19, 1997.

Penal Code 16460
(a) As used in Sections 16510, 16520, and 16780, and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 18710) of Division 5 of Title 2, "destructive device" includes any of the following weapons:
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

CSACANNONEER
12-30-2012, 1:43 PM
this review the flowchart sks are weird some are banned by name others are banned by features

Please explain which ones are banned by name.

EL_NinO619
12-30-2012, 1:44 PM
That's what I figured, but was uncertain with it having no pistol grip. Thanks guys.

EL_NinO619
12-30-2012, 1:44 PM
That's what I figured, but was uncertain with it having no pistol grip. Thanks guys.

C&Rtrader
12-30-2012, 2:18 PM
Can't they be reconfigured? ie add the fixed 10 rd magazine back?

CSACANNONEER
12-30-2012, 2:33 PM
Can't they be reconfigured? ie add the fixed 10 rd magazine back?

Yes!

C&Rtrader
12-30-2012, 2:40 PM
Happy to help. sksman probably has those in stock

furyous68
12-30-2012, 3:21 PM
That's who I ordered mine from. Neither of my SKS's had the factory fixed 10rd mags. He sells them for a good price too!

EL_NinO619
12-30-2012, 9:32 PM
I will check it out, again Thanks :)

chillincody
12-30-2012, 9:38 PM
Please explain which ones are banned by name.

Quiet explained it already:confused: if its banned by make and model is that not banned by name ? or am I mistaken

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2012, 6:39 AM
Quiet explained it already:confused: if its banned by make and model is that not banned by name ? or am I mistaken

Ok, so which "makes and models" are listed? Does an SKS style rifle which is not marked "SKS" considered part of this list? Is "SKS" the make or the model? Can one legally have a SKS type rifle, like a Yugo, which is not marked "SKS", with detachable magazines? If not, can you explain how it would violate which laws?

Quiet
12-31-2012, 7:10 AM
AFAIK...
The only make/model banned SKS are the CA defined "SKS Sporter" type SKS rifles. [PC 30710]

(make) Norinco (model) SKS-D
(make) Norinco (model) SKS-M
(make) Norinco (model) MC-5D

IMO...
The Zastava M-59, Zastava M-59/66 & Zastava M-59/66A1 are "off-list" SKS style rifles because they are not marked "SKS".

TANK1135
01-02-2013, 6:31 AM
So I have a offer to get a couple of SKS's, But I am not certain on the legality's of them. I have a offer for both, Yugoslavian and Chinese sks.
If you have a Chinese pre ban can it have a larger detached mag or are you stuck with the 10 fixed? These will be shipped from out of state, so I do not want to waste time or money on a non legal CA rifle. Can I have a SKS with a detachable mag as long as its a 10 rounder. Or does it have to be a certain model with a fixed mag etc, there are so many rules I am confused. Basically what can I have in CA..:facepalm:

If the Chinese pre ban accepts the AK mags it is ilegal in CA.It can't be converted to a fixed 10 rounder.If it takes the tapco duck bill mags then a fixed 10 rounder can be added to it and it would be CA legal.If the Yugo has a grenade launcher and it is not deactiveated or swicthed out to a Tapco replacement then it is not CA legal.