PDA

View Full Version : What do we do?

FMJ545
12-29-2012, 5:18 PM
Everyone in the firearms community knows the ****s about to hit the fan in Washington with firearms and firearm related parts and everyone is talking about it but serious question, what can we do about it? I was too young to remember what went down when Clinton did it the first time but I don't want to just standby to get ****ed and do nothing about it this time. How can younger (20- 25 yr old)shooters and gun enthusiast help?

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 5:30 PM
Join the NRA, CRPA, SAF, CCRKBA.

Contribute whatever you can to those organization and to CGF.

Take a non gunny to the range with you and teach them the joy and excitement of putting holes in paper from 10, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, or more.

SwissFluCase
12-29-2012, 5:37 PM
Join the NRA, CRPA, SAF, CCRKBA.

Contribute whatever you can to those organization and to CGF.

Take a non gunny to the range with you and teach them the joy and excitement of putting holes in paper from 10, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, or more.

This.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

uhlan1
12-29-2012, 8:25 PM
And email/contact your representatives. Be sure to contact your state reps and the governor's office as well. I'm more worried about Yee and DeLeon than I am Feinstein.

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 9:05 PM
And email/contact your representatives. Be sure to contact your state reps and the governor's office as well. I'm more worried about Yee and DeLeon than I am Feinstein.

Worthless activities. Emails get deleted. Phone calls and faxes don't mean much. Real written letters might get a reply from a staffer.

The congresscritters pretty much have their minds made up on things like this. You won't convince them to change their minds. Petitions are especially worthless and make the gun community look like a bunch of retards, in some cases.

Better to let the NRA speak for us. When they go in and speak for 4 million members, it has some clout. They know who is already on our side, who can never be swayed and who is vulnerable to a primary or election challenge and will concentrate their effort where it will do the most good.

Sending emails, letters, faxes and calling makes people think they're doing something when in fact they're not, but they think they did something so they don't do the thing that would really help.

Join the NRA, CRPA, SAF, CCRKBA. Contribute to those orgs and CGF.

If you want to do more, contribute again.

415Local
12-29-2012, 9:14 PM
watch and read this

http://cms.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/feinstein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDglpt8hpyg

Do something here

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML

Gun_Owner_901
12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I am very interested in seeing the list of firearms that she has exempt for this gun ban she is going to be introducing.

Another note I have wrote and even called all of my reps, Joined the GoA and the NRA today, but to honest she has put so many things in this ban that I really highly doubt this thing is going to pass, if it does pass which in my opinion is a big if she will not get everything she wants not by a long shot, she may be able to get the AR and the AK type to be banned but I can't see handguns being banned, but then again I have been wrong before.

Moonshine
12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
That bill will never survive the House and is likely to die in committee.

RomanDad
12-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Worthless activities. Emails get deleted. Phone calls and faxes don't mean much. Real written letters might get a reply from a staffer.

1000% UNTRUE.

I used to work for a U.S. Congressman... In fact, I worked for him DURING the passage of '94 AW ban... We kept track of what the callers were saying. Each of us kept a scratch pad by the phone just for such calls... That is the staffers #1 Job. Every call starts the same way, "Im calling about the Assault weapons ban..." At first we were asking for names and addresses (to check that they were in our district) and saying something like "That's great! What are your thoughts on it? I would be happy to pass them along to the Congressman for you!" After that we would get long winded responses about Thomas Jefferson and the Federalist Papers, and WW2, and the caller's life story up until the moment they picked up the phone to yell at us... "Blah Blah Blah Blah" "So I take it you're against it?" "Well of COURSE IM AGAINST IT!?!?" "I will pass your thoughts on to the Congressman... Thank you for calling...."

Near the end we were getting about 20 calls per minute, and we had to simply and rather rudely just ask "for or against?" and explain we didn't have time for a twenty minute dissertation on the Bill of Rights because we had dozens of callers on hold who wanted to tell us the exact same thing and that numbers meant more than anything else... On rare occasions people would ask "Are you getting any other calls?" and I would just laugh and say "OH YEAH...." We weren't even logging if they were from our district or not at that point, we had to many lines to answer... In all the time I worked there, there was no other issue before the Congress that caused our phones to ring like that... And we noticed.... Voters who call are voters who vote... And for every person calling there are probably 5 or 10 others who feel the same way. I think the problem is, most people who call or write are hoping for some kind of response... Like "A staffer might write you back". Who cares about a response from some staffer who has no idea what their boss is going to do until he does it? I can't tell you what you want to hear... I don't have those answers, and if I did, I couldn't have told you because I WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED. You didn't elect me... You elected HIM... And He doesn't have time to answer 10,000 phone calls a day from angry constituents... So the staffers do... But we couldn't speak on his behalf... We were there to take notes and pass them on. When we had time we would generate batches of canned responses "The Congressman was proud to have voted against the measure and was happy to hear you agreed with him on the matter, but unfortunately the other side had more support in the House blah blah blah"...

The response you should care about is HOW THEY VOTE!!! That's the DIALOGUE you should be looking for. If you want a friendly response or a nice letter, WRITE YOUR MOM! If you want somebody to vote the way you want them to, CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN! (we didnt have external email back then, but Ill tell you, letters and now I'm guessing EMAIL are SECONDARY to that phone call- We could push a letter aside EASILY... But when that phone rings, SOMEBODY HAS TO ANSWER IT... They have to STOP THE OTHER STUFF THEY ARE DOING AND DEAL WITH THAT PHONE! And believe it or not, we had plenty of other stuff to do... So that phone call was the best way to be heard. That Bill basically **** us down for two weeks... We did NOTHING but deal with pissed off callers.)

Calls from inside the district are weighted more than calls from outside the district... But we had a column for BOTH and the tally absolutely had an impact on how he cast his vote (NO)...

BUT TRUST ME... THE OTHER SIDE IS CALLING.... IF YOU DON'T CALL, THEY THINK YOU (THE VOTERS) WANT THEM TO VOTE FOR IT!!!!

Will it matter with a Feinstein? Boxer? Pelosi? Of Course not... They're ideologues in ABSOLUTELY SAFE SEATS.... But if you live in one of those swing districts in the central valley or IE, or OC or San Diego... Where they actually feel VULNERABLE to LOSING, whether they be a Republican or middle of the road Democrat, LIGHT THEIR FRICKIN' PHONES UP!!! You live up in the North Country and think your guy for sure will be on board, CALL HIM AND REMIND HIM OF IT! Start when the Office opens and keep it up til the end of the working day.... Then call them again! Have your friends and neighbors call them... IT WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

glassblower
12-29-2012, 11:16 PM
I think we would be wise to make our voices heard through email, phone calls, or letters, as the gun control advocates are already making themselves heard.

An email to CA Dems from John Burton, CADem.org

In the wake of the horrendous school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut there is both righteous anger and renewed interest in at last passing sensible gun legislation.

America MUST do something about gun violence and gun control -- and once again, your California Democrats are taking the lead.

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, whom Californians re-elected this November, will start the first day of the new Congress in 2013 by introducing a bill banning the sale of assault weapons and extended ammunition clips.

That's real leadership -- but she'll face heavy opposition. The gun lobbyists wield tremendous influence in Washington, and they are committed to stopping any new legislation.

We need to show that California Democrats are standing in unison with Senator Feinstein for a ban on assault weapons. Click here to sign our petition of support today.

Nothing we can do will ever return those innocent children to the arms of their loving families, but we can take strong, aggressive steps to make sure tragedies like the one in Newtown don't become quarterly experiences for communities across America.

You're receiving this email as an someone who's interested in California politics. If you'd rather not receive regular updates from the California Democratic Party, please just click here.

Long-overdue legislation is coming to the table. We need to make sure this passes.

Sign our petition supporting Senator Dianne Feinstein's upcoming assault weapons ban legislation now, and help make sure it passes.

What happened last week in Newtown is beyond unacceptable. We need to show the country California is taking the lead in standing up to stop the gun violence.

Thank you for being a California Democrat.

Peace and friendship,

John Burton
Chair
California Democratic Party

Paid for by the California Democratic Party
1401 21st Street, Suite 200, Sacramento CA 95811
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.