PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with all the useless petitions, please?

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 3:00 PM
They will have no impact and they just make those that sign them look stupid.

Impeach Feinstein? You can't impeach a Senator for proposing legislation

Remove Yee? He's termed out in 2 years. What's the point? Who ever would replace him would be just as bad.

If you want to do something useful, join the NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA, SAF.

Donate to these organizations, plus CGF - the CalGuns Foundation.

That alone will have 1000 times more impact than any petition and it won't have the result of making the firearms community look stupid in the process, like a petition for something impossible, impractical or unlikely will.

Even a few dollars each from hundreds of contributors will have an impact.

bill_k_lopez
12-29-2012, 3:02 PM
I just started a petition on whitehouse.org to stop the senseless petitions.

berto
12-29-2012, 3:03 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately the "I'm doing something and it makes me feel important" crowd will continue with their stupidity until the head janitor tells them to knock it off or gives them a sub forum.

Kurgan
12-29-2012, 3:05 PM
Word.

ClarenceBoddicker
12-29-2012, 3:06 PM
Thank you for posting this. There needs to be a sticky about the stupidly of stuff like petitions & emails or other electronic communications to the media and lawmakers. It's only a waste of time. Too easy for them to ignore or hit the delete button. Write a real letter or donate to the cause, anything else is only a feel good exercise.

tcrpe
12-29-2012, 3:13 PM
I'll sign your petition to stop the petitions.

Link?

Carnivore
12-29-2012, 3:27 PM
The fact that there is a petition to create a death star should be proof enough that the petitions are not taken seriously. Well by the white house anyway, I know they are life affirming actions by the creators of these....pititions.

Tarn_Helm
12-29-2012, 3:36 PM

Maybe we should start a poll!
:D
:facepalm:

:cool:

elSquid
12-29-2012, 3:44 PM

I just started a petition on whitehouse.org to stop your petition to stop senseless petitions.

-- Michael

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 3:50 PM
I just started a petition on whitehouse.org to stop your petition to stop senseless petitions.

-- Michael

Aren't you clever.

10mmOutdoors
12-30-2012, 2:54 PM

Remove Yee? He's termed out in 2 years. What's the point? Who ever would replace him would be just as bad.

That alone will have 1000 times more impact than any petition and it won't have the result of making the firearms community look stupid in the process, like a petition for something impossible, impractical or unlikely will.

Control issues? Sir

stix213
12-30-2012, 2:55 PM
OMG please stop the petitions.

Capybara
12-30-2012, 2:57 PM
I agree. They do nothing.

SlipperySlope
12-30-2012, 3:30 PM
I like the petitions. Obviously Feinstein can not be impeached as a result of a petition. They are just one more way to protest even if nothing comes of it. The Piers Morgan anti 2nd amendment petition made national head lines and is almost at 94k signatures. 94 thousand people took the time to register, create a password, confirm their email, and sign a petition in support of the 2nd amendment. I call that a win. Its all a numbers game. Most politicians lean which ever way the wind is blowing without conviction. I am also a member of the NRA, GOA, NRPA, I give to Calguns, and support a number of pro-gun Youtube channals. I'm going to keep emailing, calling, donation, signing and subscribing.

jaymz
12-30-2012, 3:45 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=665645

I tried to start a discussion about these the other day. Hopefully this one builds some momentum. The "sign my petition" threads are getting to be about as annoying as the "new AWB coming" threads.

RRangel
12-30-2012, 4:29 PM
At this point, you have bigger problems than being upset, by mere petitions that will have "no impact."

strlen
12-31-2012, 1:32 AM
There's something about online petitioning that represents both good intention, but yet insufficient civic participation. I wonder how many of those signing these petitions have never donated to charity, to political causes, have voted, have written letters to their congress-critters, have volunteered, have taken those who are "agnostic" about RKBA to the range, etc...

Don't get me wrong, online petitions are useful, but clicking a button is not a substitute for actively participating in the political process or working to change the public opinion.

Bill Carson
12-31-2012, 1:37 AM

This

Hopalong
12-31-2012, 5:40 AM
Agreed.

trevorlc
12-31-2012, 7:14 AM
There definitely are some pretty silly petitions going on as of late! (Death star and Enterprise ones come to mind.) I do think on some level they have their place, but how many signatures are the most popular ones getting maybe 2-3% of the US population? Thats not really saying a whole lot.

To me Petitions are part of a complete plan of action, donating to pro 2A organizations/lobby groups, writing letters, VOTING!, and finally word of mouth.

Donating to organizations like NRA, CGF, etc are one of the best way to put even a couple $ to work for you.

Writing letters is extremely important, even to people like Feinstein because they know their career depends on votes and if they get enough pro 2A letters they might just back off a little bit, or even re-consider aspects of their platform. I know its a fat chance but if we don't tell them how we feel then we have already lost the fight.

Its appalling to me the number of people who don't vote, I think it was something like 30% of registered voters in California actually voted this last election, that does not even take into account people eligible to vote who are not even registered. If even half of that non voting 70% showed up and cast a ballot, it could drastically change election results. It could also just increase the numbers on both side with the same result, but we wont know unless they show up, in the mean time it means that the people who are voting are essentially 3x more powerful with their votes due to the others lack of participation.

Last but not least, everyone can work on changing the minds of their family and friends, of course some folks with never change their mind but we got to at least try!

bssybeep
12-31-2012, 9:32 AM

...or, you could do both. Give and sign the petitions. IMHO they are not useless, they may not result in the actual removal of the idiot, but they do send a message.

NytWolf
12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
I like the petitions. Obviously Feinstein can not be impeached as a result of a petition. They are just one more way to protest even if nothing comes of it. The Piers Morgan anti 2nd amendment petition made national head lines and is almost at 94k signatures. 94 thousand people took the time to register, create a password, confirm their email, and sign a petition in support of the 2nd amendment. I call that a win. Its all a numbers game. Most politicians lean which ever way the wind is blowing without conviction. I am also a member of the NRA, GOA, NRPA, I give to Calguns, and support a number of pro-gun Youtube channals. I'm going to keep emailing, calling, donation, signing and subscribing.

Now, THEY have the names of 94k people who they can come knock down the doors of at 3AM.

bssybeep
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Now, THEY have the names of 94k people who they can come knock down the doors of at 3AM.

That's a BS way to think, a lazy way out They already have your name from your registered guns, NRA membership, etc.

OneAvgWhiteGuy
12-31-2012, 1:20 PM
I think a phone call does a lot more than any letter, email, or petition. They can easily ignore all of the latter, but if the phone is constantly ringing off the hook they'll definitely take notice.

NotEnufGarage
12-31-2012, 2:04 PM
Petitions, phone calls, letters, emails, etc. make the person doing them feel like they've accomplished something already, so they don't do the thing that WILL actually accomplish something and that's contributing to the professionals that will really get something done.

Put down the petition, back away and JOIN THE NRA, already...

NotEnufGarage
12-31-2012, 2:04 PM
Petitions, phone calls, letters, emails, etc. make the person doing them feel like they've accomplished something already, so they don't do the thing that WILL actually accomplish something and that's contributing to the professionals that will really get something done.

OneAvgWhiteGuy
12-31-2012, 2:39 PM
So you're saying any action, other than giving to the NRA, has no influence? Sorry but I disagree.

I'm not discounting the actions of the NRA, but people need to get involved on an individual level as well. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

bssybeep
12-31-2012, 3:29 PM

Like I stated originally, why can't you do both? Sign the petition AND give to SAF, NRA, Calgun, etc...I do ;)

NotEnufGarage
12-31-2012, 3:59 PM
Like I stated originally, why can't you do both? Sign the petition AND give to SAF, NRA, Calgun, etc...I do ;)

Fine. The problem is that many seem to think that just signing the petiton is really doing something, when it's not.

If you must sign petitions, send letters, or whatever, remember, making your opinion known individually won't do it. We need the NRA to step in an speak for all 4 or 5 million members. It'd be even better if they stepped in to speak for 8 or 9 million member, though.

NotEnufGarage
12-31-2012, 4:01 PM
So you're saying any action, other than giving to the NRA, has no influence? Sorry but I disagree.

I'm not discounting the actions of the NRA, but people need to get involved on an individual level as well. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Please find me one thing that has been changed in favor of liberty and freedom due to a whitehouse.gov petition. There are probably a few things that have been changed to increase spending, but that's the exact opposite.

dieselpower
12-31-2012, 4:13 PM
Anytime you make noise, people hear it....it matters not if its ignored...it WAS heard.