PDA

View Full Version : Selling to another member in California

franco802
08-19-2007, 7:35 PM
Is it true that if you are a resident of california and another resident of cali want's to buy a rifle(let's say a dude from San Francisco), you both have to be at the local FFL together to complete the transaction?? Or can i just have my FFL ship to his FFL?

C.G.
08-19-2007, 7:56 PM
Is it true that if you are a resident of california and another resident of cali want's to buy a rifle(let's say a dude from San Francisco), you both have to be at the local FFL together to complete the transaction?? Or can i just have my FFL ship to his FFL?

You both have to be present for Private Party Transfer (PPT), otherwise known as Face To Face. Those transfers are cheaper, and in case of a handgun, preempts you from in handgun in 30 days regulation. But you can ship to his FFL (does not have to go through your FFL if you own the gun), but the DROS fees will be higher for the buyer.

Sig357
08-19-2007, 8:32 PM
When you do a face to face PPT they take your right thumb print (Buyer & Seller). How does this work out when the seller ships a firearm to an FFL?

LAK Supply
08-19-2007, 8:46 PM
It's just like any other firearm shipment..... the FFL receives it and you wait your 10 days. You just pay the seller instead of the FFL (for the actual firearm anyway).

Sig357
08-19-2007, 9:13 PM
It's just like any other firearm shipment..... the FFL receives it and you wait your 10 days. You just pay the seller instead of the FFL (for the actual firearm anyway).

Is the sellers fingerprint needed like in a face to face transaction?

C.G.
08-19-2007, 9:14 PM
Is the sellers fingerprint needed like in a face to face transaction?
No.

franco802
08-20-2007, 8:25 PM
So it sounds like i can just ship the rifle UPS to his FFL and that's it? I think firearms is next day only shipping I think. But don't I need to fill out paperwork??

C.G.
08-20-2007, 8:33 PM
So it sounds like i can just ship the rifle UPS to his FFL and that's it? I think firearms is next day only shipping I think. But don't I need to fill out paperwork??

No, but it would be wise to get a copy of Buyer's FFL and do an ezcheck to make sure that their FFL is valid. I prefer to use Fedex, myself, they seem to know a little more about firearm shipment than UPS, at least in my locality.

franco802
08-20-2007, 9:03 PM
Thank you.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-20-2007, 9:27 PM
I think firearms is next day only shipping I think.

UPS and FedEx require handguns to be shipped overnight. Long guns can be shipped via their ground services.

DJDace
09-21-2007, 4:43 PM
Is the 10 day wait period still in effect if you are doing a face to face sale of say a long gun between 2 people at an FFL?

If so that kind of sucks if you have to travel a ways.

thedrickel
09-21-2007, 4:55 PM
Is the 10 day wait period still in effect if you are doing a face to face sale of say a long gun between 2 people at an FFL?

If so that kind of sucks if you have to travel a ways.

Yes the 10 day wait still applies and it sucks if the buyer is really far from the FFL. When selling thru a PPT I usually offer to drive closer to buyer since they have to make two trips.