PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Do Today To Prep?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

XYZ
12-29-2012, 2:12 PM
This thread is taken from other forums:

What you did today to prep?

Post what you did, practiced, or bought.

If you didn't do anything, feel free to read what others have done to prep.

For me, I purchased 4 lanterns that will also be used for camping.

firemanjoe
12-29-2012, 3:26 PM
Purchased two more 5 gal gas cans to add a total of 10gal of gas to my disaster preparedness supplies.

BOOGIEMAN
12-29-2012, 3:54 PM
:rolleyes:I received yesterday 2 Black Berkey replacement filters that I ordered online. So today I went to Lowes and bought 3 pieces of food grade 5 gallons buckets.

hartref
12-29-2012, 4:21 PM
Went shooting to keep in practice.

11HE9
12-29-2012, 4:43 PM
Charged a few batteries today

We used to buy the bulk packs of AA/AAAs at Costco. Now, we have a decent stock of AA/AAA Eneloops that we rotate to keep everything "fresh".

I really wish they (Eneloop) had CR123s. I only have one light at the moment that uses the 123s so it's not that big of a deal

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 5:02 PM
Priming 5.56 cases in preparation for reloading them.

Since I've already loaded over 900 .223 rounds wtih 55 grain FMJBT, these will be 5.56mm rounds with 62 grain SS109 bullets for actual defensive use, should the need arise.

I've already got several hundred 75 grain HD HPBT rounds loaded, should the need arise.

Onetyme
12-29-2012, 6:17 PM
Picked up 1k 223 rounds & a LW Colt Commander. Filled another 5 gal gas can & picked up 5 gal of water.

shermola1
12-29-2012, 6:30 PM
You'll probably laugh, but I vacuum sealed one pair each of clean of underwear and socks. The rain reminded me that walking in wet socks is the worst. Having a guaranteed dry pair of either is like heaven after a long, wet day.

xxINKxx
12-29-2012, 6:36 PM
Ordered a cool small 4$ compass that clips onto your watch band (gshock) Had good reviews so why not. Also purchased a cold steel SRK knife, and was given an LED lantern that is solar/hand crank powered, pretty damn bright too!

Tripper
12-29-2012, 6:37 PM
bought a few walmart walkway solar lights $1 each, they each have a AAA battery in them, to try and convert them to cheap AAA battery solar chargers

oh, and I grabbed 100 .40, and 50 9mm

Tripper
12-29-2012, 6:48 PM
You'll probably laugh, but I vacuum sealed one pair each of clean of underwear and socks. The rain reminded me that walking in wet socks is the worst. Having a guaranteed dry pair of either is like heaven after a long, wet day.

wow, its good to know i'm not the only one that thinks that

scootergmc
12-29-2012, 7:16 PM

No laughing here...the vacuum sealer instructions (at least my Food Saver) suggest sealing all sorts of stuff like that.

shermola1
12-29-2012, 8:00 PM
No laughing here...the vacuum sealer instructions (at least my Food Saver) suggest sealing all sorts of stuff like that.

I just checked my Food Saver instructions, but no fun hints like that. Bummer. I've vacuum-sealed batteries, printouts, ammo, food (of course), and now clothes. I may have an addiction...

MotoriousRacing
12-29-2012, 8:26 PM
I have a 2 story house with a stairway that has a landing and reverses direction. There is already a closet under the tall part that extends (finished) under the landing - great for luggage, xmas, etc.. Back in the finished portion of the under landing, I cut the drywall to access the short portion of the stairs. I am able to fit a lot of supplies under there, which is good since my garage is detached.

MotoriousRacing
12-29-2012, 8:27 PM
I just checked my Food Saver instructions, but no fun hints like that. Bummer. I've vacuum-sealed batteries, printouts, ammo, food (of course), and now clothes. I may have an addiction...

I've sealed Burt's lip balm, cheap wood matches, cheap lighters, baking soda, salt, sugar. I may have an addition.

jonnyt16
12-29-2012, 8:41 PM
Picked up this magazine that caught my eye today at the supermarket. Its a prepper magazine! So far everything I've read in it has been very interesting. Definitely a magazine I could subscribe to.

http://img.eetoolset.com/img?set=image%5B183/983306.JPG%5D,size%5B320x437%5D,qual%5B80%5D&call=url%5Bfile:std.image%5D

rob86
12-29-2012, 8:50 PM
Bought a solar charger to put in the BOB and also bought some ammo.

TheChief
12-29-2012, 8:57 PM
Finished the first round of testing on the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus, went to the range and ran through some shooting drills, and took a walk around the neighborhood with my child in our winter garb.

philobeddoe
12-29-2012, 9:13 PM
I fattened up the neighbor next door and across the street.

SLK619
12-29-2012, 9:59 PM
I bought 400 rds of XM193.... thats all for me...

jonnyt16
12-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I bought 400 rds of XM193.... thats all for me...
May I ask where you guys are buying your 5.56 these days?? My usual sources have jacked up their prices a lot. Feel free to PM me if you don't want the whole world to know.

NotEnufGarage
12-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Good idea. I've just used ziploc bags, but vacuum sealing them will make them smaller, as well as keeping them dry.

Thanks.. Time to update the BOB and GHB's.

tatso7
12-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Pick up three low temp sleeping bags, 2 bulk pack of cci 22 lr and 5 boxes of 12 gauge birdshots at Bass Pro.

ireload
12-30-2012, 5:37 AM
Talked to my wife's friend's husband about his plan to purchase solar panels last night.

Last week chopped up several 2x4 studs I got from work for free and made kindling. Filled up a 30 gallon trash container with it, made two escrima sticks (fighting sticks, stained and sealed) from a 1 1/4" diameter oak dowel, casted more .318" round balls for buckshots, since my 8 yr old girl has been off from school she's been able to practice with her BB gun and we are able to have more bonfire in the backyard.

waxer
12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I bought 50lbs of white rice, 50lbs of pinto beans, 2 cases of spam, TP, and water from Costco. Spent the evening vacuum sealing 2 cup packs of rice and 1lb packs of pinto beans. Dated and sealed them in plastic buckets and those will be placed in my cool/dry closet in my bedroom.

That's about it for this weekend....

guitar-nut
12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
I installed a new and more ergonomic stock and pistol grip on my SHTF AK-74. Also, I helped my two best friends shop for reliable pistols.

Gugs
12-31-2012, 2:42 AM
Wife called from Costco to see if I needed anything. I asked her to grab a case of SPAM! =]

Full Clip
12-31-2012, 2:43 AM
I ignored a condescending Liberal family member who will not get my help in the future.

all torque
12-31-2012, 2:50 AM
Bought two Mag Led lights for my car kits (2 days ago).

xgi1991
12-31-2012, 7:55 AM
well, over the weekend, ordered a case of #10 cans of dehydrated potatoes, bought 2 large ABC fire extinguishers, and cut and stacked a cord of wood.

tommyboy619
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Refreshing water supply. Its cheaper to refill the barrels during the winter, when I'm not watering the lawn. Problem is it takes forever to siphon 4 55 gallon barrels. At least I know it still tastes good ;)

whlgun
12-31-2012, 5:16 PM
Cleaned out my bug out bag and helped a coworker but one together.

Tripper
12-31-2012, 5:18 PM
Box of 50 each .380 & .38

Full Clip
01-01-2013, 2:39 PM
I reorganized my bug-out load to support my AK until my reconfigured AR (FF handguard, new sights) is tested and re-zeroed.

Chaparral
01-01-2013, 6:50 PM
Added extra canned goods, bulk rice and some other dry goods on each costco and Sams club runs in the last two months.

LMT4ME
01-01-2013, 7:00 PM
Started 308 AR build, bought reloading supplies, got 1500 rnds 223, added $250 canned goods, bought $500 meats (heard that meat prices will go up if the fiscal sh*t hole continues), got several jars of olives and a case of vodka and 1 case of single malt, and bought some lottery tickets (even a blind squirrel finds a nut).

Yehosha
01-01-2013, 7:52 PM
I ignored a condescending Liberal family member who will not get my help in the future.
This. I unfortunately spent the weekend out of town with my ultra-lib brother-in-law and his wife. They both openly mocked me when they saw our BOBs and gun in the car. Tried to talk to them about why I do it but all they would do is mock me and tell me guns have no place in a civilized world. I argued with them point for point and tried to talk sense into them about guns, but being the raging moron liberals that they are, you can't talk logic and fact with them. It's a miracle that I didn't punch my pompous brother-in-law in the mouth over the weekend.

taladeganite
01-01-2013, 9:00 PM
Yesh, the fact that you wanted to punch him, man... So do I. Of course, I would've made them (both) walk from somewhere cold and desolate, not really hit him.

bsg
01-01-2013, 9:26 PM
went through food items; sorting them out and organizing for storage.

all torque
01-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I bought 5x5g food grade buckets so I can store rice and beans and eventually use a couple of them to make a long term water filter. I also bought a gallon of bleach for supplies stash.

jmsenk
01-02-2013, 1:40 AM
I did dry fire drills with my handguns, and worked in my garden - right now just herbs and some small veggies, but it is growing.

all they would do is mock me and tell me guns have no place in a civilized world.

Guns are the reason our world is civilized

Onetyme
01-02-2013, 5:19 PM
I purchased a 2nd bread maker. Going to make some this weekend with the kids.

Cnynrat
01-02-2013, 5:57 PM
I bought 5k rounds of .22 LR for my stockpile.

I rotated/replaced the water supply and all the batteries in the flashlights in our BOBs.

Later this week I plan on "rotating" the emergency water supply in our 55 gal drums.

cycle61
01-02-2013, 6:30 PM
Reading the 700+ page LDS book on the topic. They offer some very honest, reality based advice.

mossy590
01-02-2013, 6:39 PM
I learned how to change a diaper and make a bottle, the nurses also say I'm one of the best new swaddlers they've seen ( my Wife just gave birth to our first on 12/31).

MrBlond
01-02-2013, 6:47 PM
Added 4 cans of Chef Boyardee to the pantry.

Ferrum
01-02-2013, 7:28 PM
Congrats!

I learned how to change a diaper and make a bottle, the nurses also say I'm one of the best new swaddlers they've seen ( my Wife just gave birth to our first on 12/31).

Tripper
01-02-2013, 7:34 PM
Completed 2 80%s

bsg
01-02-2013, 7:51 PM

now, that's prepping.

congrats.

firemanjoe
01-02-2013, 8:05 PM
Picked up two ways to pump gas out of all the abandoned cars that will be left when the government takes every penny we earn!

cdtx2001
01-02-2013, 8:45 PM
Told all my friends and co-workers that my place got broken into the other day and among the many things that got stolen, all my ammo, camping items, plus most of my food and water items.

Dirtrider....
01-02-2013, 9:04 PM
Reading the 700+ page LDS book on the topic. They offer some very honest, reality based advice.

i've heard they have some great info on this... where do we get that book?

philobeddoe
01-02-2013, 9:05 PM
I put a magpul case on my iPhone so I can sext during the robot apocalypse.

Yehosha
01-02-2013, 9:19 PM
Yesh, the fact that you wanted to punch him, man... So do I. Of course, I would've made them (both) walk from somewhere cold and desolate, not really hit him. He's just an all around self-centered insecure d-bag, and his attitude toward guns and prepping was just one thing he did that was annoying. When him and his wife started mocking my 6 year old daughter and made her cry when she fell at the park, is when I almost punched him.

Also today I searched in vain to find some affordable 9mm and 22 ammo around town, and there is none left unless I want to bend over and buy it from Big 5 or Dick's.

1970msp
01-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Today I made a alcohol penny stove. Finally made the holes correctly spaced and sized so this one works great. 20 min of cook time with 1.5 oz of rubbing alcohol 70%. I typed the wrong alcohol percentage, it was not 70% it was 91% my apologies for that.

Full Clip
01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
This. I unfortunately spent the weekend out of town with my ultra-lib brother-in-law and his wife. They both openly mocked me when they saw our BOBs and gun in the car. Tried to talk to them about why I do it but all they would do is mock me and tell me guns have no place in a civilized world. I argued with them point for point and tried to talk sense into them about guns, but being the raging moron liberals that they are, you can't talk logic and fact with them. It's a miracle that I didn't punch my pompous brother-in-law in the mouth over the weekend.

Been there.
I don't bother to tell anyone about BOBs or trunk guns anymore.
It's a need-to-know basis. They don't need to know since they aren't going to benefit from it.

Turbomrdeuce
01-03-2013, 12:52 AM
I bought 100 rds for my 7mm mag 20 for my 30-06

My wife bought a waterproof case for some of her essentials and a road map for all of the us.

Full Clip
01-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Told all my friends and co-workers that my place got broken into the other day and among the many things that got stolen, all my ammo, camping items, plus most of my food and water items.

Now that's prepping!!!

Full Clip
01-03-2013, 12:53 AM

Now that's prepping!!!

cowboykenny
01-03-2013, 1:10 AM
Bought some buckets of the wise dehydrated food.

cowboykenny
01-03-2013, 1:11 AM
What do you folks recommend for an all purpose water filter of good quality.

Yehosha
01-03-2013, 1:01 PM
What do you folks recommend for an all purpose water filter of good quality. Depends on the purpose. The MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter works great for around 2000 liters on each filter. That's over 1 year of filtration for one person. Can filter water for any use.

The Lifestraw (http://www.amazon.com/Vestergaard-Frandsen-LifeStraw-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3POODAPWKK8JT&coliid=I1NRIQETUHKA3J) is my filter of choice for hiking, backpacking, BOBs, etc because of the price. For $25 you get 1000 liters of drinking water. They were designed for use all over the world in disaster areas and third world countries, but available to the general public for sale. If anyone can find a system that works better, in that price range, I'd love to see it.

There's 2 I have experience with, I'm sure others will chime in with their filters of choice.

cycle61
01-03-2013, 9:50 PM
i've heard they have some great info on this... where do we get that book?

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/free-download-lds-preparedness-manual-version-8.htm

Also, (back on topic) bought a couple cases of water, tested my latest batch of handloads at the range, collected a bunch of brass, found kerosene for the old army surplus lantern I got last weekend, and reading up on canning. I'm set for dry goods for a couple months, but it would be nice to have meat and veggies stored that don't require refrigeration.

11HE9
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Congratulations!!!

11HE9
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
What do you folks recommend for an all purpose water filter of good quality.

I have been using Katadyn filters in the field (Desolation wilderness/Sierras) for a few years :)

all torque
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Wife bought a 20lbs bag of rice and some disinfectant wipes.

badreligion
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Purchased 4 more 55 gallon water barrels, putting me over 600 gallons of water on hand, time to build another shed, and a mobile water pump system to collect water remotely. Started the frame work for a SS tumbler for all my brass, it will be able to support 8 and 10" drums that are 25" long. Weeded the area around my fruit trees and one section of my garden. Started shredding old papers, bills and junk mail to turn into brickets, need to build a press.

stix213
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Just bought $300 in food to add to the stash. Some from safeway, including dog food, and $200 in #10's online. Don't forget you'll need to feed your dog in an emergency situation.

HapaMan
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Installed my XS Big Dot sights.

4Defense
01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
1. Woke up
2. Brush teeth
3. Took a dump
4. Shower
5. Had coffee

Thanks for the paranoia, hmmm I mean prepping. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now I know where to go with 20 friends if we needed something. :)
BTW, make 20 tinfoil hats for us too. Keep them in a safe spot.

cowboykenny
01-04-2013, 2:14 AM
1. Woke up
2. Brush teeth
3. Took a dump
4. Shower
5. Had coffee

Thanks for the paranoia, hmmm I mean prepping. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now I know where to go with 20 friends if we needed something. :)
BTW, make 20 tinfoil hats for us too. Keep them in a safe spot.

Ha Ha Ha That's awesome

mossy590
01-04-2013, 9:34 AM
Thanks for that 4D, it's good to know that we'll never have another earthquake in california, and that the world economy will be perfectly harmonious for ever.

Now I don't have to think about all my neighbors in Oakland, and what they'll do if they have to make it solely on their own hard work and intelligence, without the government teet for more than a few days.

Sweet!!

On topic- To advance my preps today, I took a dump too, I wouldn't want to crap my pants while trembling in fear.

4Defense
01-04-2013, 8:38 PM
If your home do not have food in the fridge for at least 1 week, something is already wrong there. Instead of wasting money on canned, dried food, I highly suggest stocking your refrigerator to begin with so your everyday life would be easier.

Besides canned and dried food are already bad enough, rotating them by eating them make it even worst.

In the worst case scenario, has it ever crossed your mind that if for some odd reason that you survived and some of your neighbors won't.

To all you wackos out there, all you need is a good generator to keep your fridge running and a good size rock to smash your neighbors window.

Waaallaaaaaa, food, first aid, water!

Canned food, dried food, water, bug out this , bug out that. Idiots!

Anticanman
01-04-2013, 9:32 PM
What did I do today? Brushed up on some stuff on this forum and set up my molle vest.

M1NM
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Today I made a alcohol penny stove. Finally made the holes correctly spaced and sized so this one works great. 20 min of cook time with 1.5 oz of rubbing alcohol 70%.

How about the plans/directions?

halh
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM

So, where did you find your way into a "civilized world"??? cause the one I see around me surely does not meet that standard!

best choice of all is to not see the moron... problem solved.

slam128
01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Just finished reading James Rawles, Patriot

jbohon
01-04-2013, 11:04 PM

Don't know why I never thought of this! I just finished vaccum selaing all of the clothes in my GHB. now I have more room!

1970msp
01-05-2013, 1:32 AM
Sorry I forgot to post instructions for this project. Not very useful without them.Here we go.

Hold a piece of fine-grit sandpaper in one hand. Hold one clean, empty aluminum soda or beer can in the other hand. Twist the bottom of the can against the sandpaper so that the lower two or three inches of paint is removed from the metal. Repeat for a second can.

Place a thick, heavy book on a flat work surface. Stand a ruler next to one end of the book. At the one-inch mark, insert a utility-knife blade between the pages of the book. The book acts as a holder for the blade.

Press down on the book cover above the blade with the palm of one hand. Hold the blade in place with your thumb against the dull side of the blade. With the other hand, rotate one of the empty cans against the sharp side of the blade to cut the bottom one inch off. Sand the cut edge to dull it.

Press the bottom of the second can into the cut bottom of the first can to widen it slightly. Remove the second can and place a wad of fiberglass insulation into the cut bottom of the first can. This is the bottom of your penny cookstove.

Repeat Step 3 for the second can. Turn the cut bottom piece over so that the former bottom of the can is now the top. This will be the top of your penny cookstove.

Make a group of five small holes in the center of the top of the penny cookstove with the pushpin. These are the fuel fill holes. They should be close enough together that a penny can cover them all.

Fit the top of the penny cookstove inside the bottom piece and work with it until you can get it to slide all the way down into the bottom half. You will need patience for this step because the pieces are nearly identical in diameter. If you have trouble, cut a small piece of metal from one of the discarded can tops and slide it between the stove pieces to help work them together. The top piece should be level.

Make 16 evenly spaced holes around the top of the penny cookstove outside the raised rim. These are the flame jet holes. Your stove is ready to use.

Place the penny cookstove on a flat, level surface. Set it inside a can or tin lid with raised edges. Squeeze about 2 tablespoons of alcohol slowly into the fill holes and wait for it to drain into the stove. It will be absorbed by the fiberglass insulation inside. Squeeze about a teaspoon of alcohol into the lid under the stove. Place a penny over the fill holes and squirt a few drops of alcohol on top of it. Light the alcohol that is in the can lid, and this will catch the alcohol inside the stove on fire. Jets of flame will then issue out from the jet holes.

Now you are ready to cook. I slide this in the bottom of a canteen cup stand and it works great. Also if it is made thin enough it will work in an esbit stove also, use 91% Alcohol ....

BLC
01-05-2013, 8:18 AM
Collected a bag of drier lint, got a hatchet and sharpening stone.

Not much, but what can I say, I'm a rookie. And we are camping in a few weeks...

Anybody want to trade me a dime for a nickel? :D

BLC
01-05-2013, 8:18 AM
Collected a bag of drier lint, got a hatchet and sharpening stone.

Not much, but what can I say, I'm a rookie. And we are camping in a few weeks...

Anybody want to trade me a dime for a nickel? :D

NotEnufGarage
01-05-2013, 7:41 PM
Went grocery shopping and picked up an extra 6 cans of Chili with Beans, and 4 jars of Peanut Butter. That's food for almost 2 weeks for 1 person.

ramathorn
01-05-2013, 8:09 PM

Let them talk it up. When some shi!t goes down they'll be knocking at your front door with a new point of view begging for help.

Onetyme
01-06-2013, 3:06 PM
Documented the essential appliance in my home. Working on a weekend disaster recovery plan to be tested next month. Simulate bug in situation with no power or running water.

3kw Honda for essentials.
1kw Honda for incidentals
4 electric space heaters
3 lanterns + fuel
Plenty of candles
4 propane bottles
Propane & electric range
Charcoal & lighter fluid
Porta poti
other off grid living items.

Socalman
01-06-2013, 4:27 PM
Refreshed 24 gallons of drinking water.

YourHuckleberry
01-06-2013, 4:34 PM
tag

ExAcHog
01-06-2013, 4:34 PM
Sent my 19 year old back off to college in Idaho with his first legit B.O.B.
Bought 40 lbs of pancake mix at costco today, (type that just takes H2O) and will bag in mylar tonight.

ireload
01-06-2013, 4:54 PM
Vacuumed sealed Jasmine rice in 12 - 1 quart mason jars. Roughly 4 cups per quart.

BLC
01-06-2013, 7:10 PM
Added a few more gallons of purified water to the collection, rotated the rest of the stock, and picked up a couple hundred more rounds of ammo.

I seem to be stuck on water and ammo. I need canned and dried goods. I need to figure out the best way to package rice and stuff. I want to learn to can things as well.

I like the comment regarding 40 lbs of pancake mix, he mentioned mylar packaging, I dont get that, I have a LOT to learn!

TigerShark
01-09-2013, 11:05 PM
made a Costco run for emergency foods:
25# Jasmine rice, 10# brown rice, 4# quinoa, 25# flour, oatmeal, pancake mix, baked beans,various nuts and dried fruit, canned chicken, canned tuna, jerky and 12 gal drinking water (I like the 1 gallon bottles alot - it's easier to store larger quantities than the smaller bottles and I can refill the smaller ones).

Onetyme
01-10-2013, 6:58 PM
Purchased a Yaesu FT-60 Ham radio

madland
01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Bought another water barrel for the house and some first aid supplies for a new bag to be put into service into new daily driver vehicle. Spent about $150 altogether at SOS in Van Nuys. Wife wasn't too thrilled..but the news today regarding EQ from San Andreas Fault helped my argument.:D I asked her if she was prepared to turn away any of her $#!+ talking family members who talk crap about me prepping. She said no..I said that's why I keep a bit extra. Because the day will come when those free-loaders will need help..and I'd rather have some extra stuff on hand, then try to divy up what I have to take care of my family. She didn't have much to say after that.

gil671
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Was at Walmart the other day and saw some small solar powered/handcranked LED flashlights that were 50% off. Bought 10 @ $2 each.

sdblu
01-16-2013, 7:58 PM
Picked up an Auguson Farms 12 day meal bucket and 4 cases of bottled water from WinCo. It will cover me and the family for 3 days, not much but it's a start.

jbohon
02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Purchased a Yaesu FT-60 Ham radio

Great little HT. Now just get your repeaters programed and you'll be good to go.

Claybone
02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Went through my coin jar and picked out all the coins made prior to the mid 60's ( said to contain large percent of silver) and stored them in a pop flair container in my BOB.

kaligaran
02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I re-worked my car's kits over the last week. Also, stashed away another 10 gallons of water. I made it a point to pick up at least 4-5 cans of extra food every grocery store trip, did this last time with some canned veggies and chili.

calif 15-22
02-05-2013, 1:04 PM
Today I bought 5 of these:

http://www.watercheck.biz/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/LifeStraw_Person_4f46ddb759c2e.jpg

tommyboy619
02-05-2013, 1:09 PM
Dryer lint is for starting fires. I bought some fish antibiotics and my first Mora knife.

Decoligny
02-05-2013, 2:21 PM
Practiced making an Iriquois Fire Pump.

http://www.occpaleo.com/images/510_Occpaleo_531.jpg

Onetyme
02-05-2013, 3:16 PM
Picked up 500 rounds of match 55 grain 223 rounds & 50cal ammo can.

Onetyme
02-05-2013, 3:18 PM
Great little HT. Now just get your repeaters programed and you'll be good to go.

Slow to get it done. Gave it to a seasoned radioman but he just sat on it. As an owner I guess the best thing to do is do it myself.

tatso7
02-05-2013, 5:15 PM
Run 10 miles today and pick up couple of Ibuprofen bottles and Fever/cough medicine for family medical kit on my way home. I believe that being fit is the most essential of all survival prep.

Lex
02-05-2013, 5:23 PM
Got me another Ruger SR22 and installing my Diamond X510 Antenna to my house Roof....

Saym14
02-05-2013, 5:47 PM
worked out, lifted weights

jbohon
02-05-2013, 6:17 PM
Slow to get it done. Gave it to a seasoned radioman but he just sat on it. As an owner I guess the best thing to do is do it myself.

Best to learn how to program it manually yourself. If needed, you can then add/ remove/ modify channels on your own without the aid of a computer.

kaligaran
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I almost forgot!

Got a TDAP booster shot (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis - aka whooping cough) just a couple of days ago. My arm is still sore. lol

Insurance covers TDAP too which is a plus.

I talked to my Dr about other shots available and she basically told me I'm too young for some and too old for others. The only other ones I could get if I wanted would be Hep A and B but I'm still researching these to see if I want to get them. I'm not big on shots and refuse the flu shot every year (I'm in my early 30s so extremely low risk for flu complications).

tatso7
02-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Mountain biking at Turnbull canyon, tune 1/2 dozen arrows with new g5 montec broadheads.

jbohon
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Participated in a preparedness (prepper) net on a local 2m repeater. Had a great discussion about off grid solar and power storage.

jfifer
02-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Bought a couple 2400 mayday bars, switched out my BOB batteries, and replaced medikit items that expire :)

TheChief
02-08-2013, 8:19 AM
I read some Calguns posts and continued studying for my General Class exam.

taladeganite
02-08-2013, 9:10 AM
4lbs of calcium hypochlorate from the local pool supply store. Can't hurt if the water supply gets contaminated!

ghostly7
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Went to work. To make money, for more supplies.

cycle61
02-10-2013, 9:42 PM
Actually found ammo in stock at Walmart

jfifer
02-10-2013, 9:56 PM
Went hiking and did some pullups and inventoried my BOB. All with my little bro. Discussed our plans for a few different scenarios.

SLK619
02-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I bought 80 rds of 165gr HP 308 & 80rds of 150gr HP 30-06

sdkevin
02-11-2013, 5:32 PM
4lbs of calcium hypochlorate from the local pool supply store.
Bingo! If you can't keep stuff clean, you're screwed. Bleach is an industrial cleaner and disenficant for a reason and it's inexpensive.

Keep several gallons handy.

noctambulant89
02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm a bit new with this stuff, but I bought a few more pounds of rice, dried beans, various canned veggies and a couple cliff bars (these are my snacks for work and school, but buying one extra wont hurt to have around if there is an earth quake or brush fire and need o evacuate). I also picked up a small sowing kit and suprisingly a pack of emergency candles for a buck at the dollar tree by my work. Will test one candle out this week and see if it lasts as long as it says it does haha.

9-12
02-13-2013, 8:36 AM
I just checked my Food Saver instructions, but no fun hints like that. Bummer. I've vacuum-sealed batteries, printouts, ammo, food (of course), and now clothes. I may have an addiction...Haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this is a repeat, but you can vac seal loaded magazines, too. ;)

9-12
02-13-2013, 8:40 AM
Continued packing for my move to N/E Tennesee. ;)

sdblu
02-15-2013, 12:08 AM
I took my twins school back packs from last year and started making thier own BOBs. There only 7 so I just put some water, a small first aid kit and am energy bar. What else would you put into a kids BOB?

socalbowhunter
02-15-2013, 12:23 AM
I made a Costco run this morning and got dog food. So I went into our year supply and rotated out the dog food that was already food saved and then food saved the new bag.
I do this every 5th bag I buy, which is about every 3 months.
If you have pets, you should be prepping for them, since they can't.

jfifer
02-15-2013, 7:30 AM
For a kids bob! I just had a wole thread about this. I have a newborn. For a 7 ywar old, include entetainment toys and pictures. There own flashlights, clothes!!

jfifer
02-15-2013, 7:39 AM
I bought some super portable sleeping bags!

the86d
02-15-2013, 8:09 AM
Bartered 600 9mm plated cartridges for 4lbs of powder, so I gain 25000 grains of pistol powder for ~$67 in components & 1.5 hours... now... where to find more primers...? :)

8-10 Months of pistol powder for 1.5 hours work, and a fraction of my components, AND helped him out... not bad.

Ridun
02-16-2013, 2:00 AM
Bought myself an M1A.

Taidaisher
02-16-2013, 6:50 AM
picked up and a 2nd paracord bracelet.
Interestingly enough, my son saw me wearing both bracelets (I wear 1 everyday, and put the 2nd bracelet on so I wouldn't forget it at work) and commented to me,"You have 2 survival bracelets!!" As I looked at my 8 year old, who I haven't taught much about being prepared, he looked at me and with that look of cocky attitude on his face said, "Yeah that's right I know what it is!"
Then he asked for 1 for himself.

VictorFranko
02-16-2013, 6:57 AM
New batteries in my eotech and in the electronic lock on the safe.
Checked headspace on my new AR build, all good, will sight in tomorrow morning.

Socalman
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
I took my twins school back packs from last year and started making thier own BOBs. There only 7 so I just put some water, a small first aid kit and am energy bar. What else would you put into a kids BOB?
1 - pair clean underwear
1 - pair clean socks
1 - small package of kleenex or small amount of TP
- extra sweater or jacket
- a SMALL game or deck of cards to keep them occupied

The above will not add much weight, but you will be happy they have it!

sdblu
02-16-2013, 5:35 PM
1 - pair clean underwear
1 - pair clean socks
1 - small package of kleenex or small amount of TP
- extra sweater or jacket
- a SMALL game or deck of cards to keep them occupied

The above will not add much weight, but you will be happy they have it!

Great ideas! Keep warm, keep entertained and TP! Ill add them to it thanks.

ImYourSalt
02-16-2013, 5:48 PM
Target Practice ;)

G-Man WC
02-16-2013, 5:51 PM
Every time I go to the store I'll pick up something that I can put in the earthquake kit. Today it was a 12pk of cup-o-noodles (Just add water)
and two 12pks of instant oatmeal. I like these because all you need is a kettle of hot water to make oats, soup, coffee/tea. Not gourmet but will keep you warm and fed. Every 6-8 months I'll rotate it out of the shed into
the everyday supply or donate it. Canned soup,beans, peanut butter, and tuna are also in the mix. -g

wolfy
02-16-2013, 6:22 PM
went to costco and picked up a 50 pound bag of rice, beans, and 40 LB bag of flour. I'll be eating rice and bean burritos for awhile. Also got my garden going. Last years garden was a learning experience. This year I hope to can and freeze.

Kinsel83
02-16-2013, 6:35 PM
I loaded 250 rounds of .223 ammo today. I have found a new hobby in reloading.

32blownhemi
02-17-2013, 2:03 AM
Ordered Mountain House Foods, a water filter & a shovel knife kit from Provident Metals. Yesterday Target for supplies; bathroom, cleaning, medical, etc...

noctambulant89
02-17-2013, 2:26 AM
went to costco and picked up a 50 pound bag of rice, beans, and 40 LB bag of flour. I'll be eating rice and bean burritos for awhile. Also got my garden going. Last years garden was a learning experience. This year I hope to can and freeze.

What area of cali do you live in and what is the climate like? if you have any tips on gardening and growing produce you have would be greatly appreciated! my mom and I have been thinking about starting a small garden in our backyard to cut back on produce costs. Thanks!

Gutz
02-17-2013, 2:28 AM
I ate a bag of chips and bought 300 rounds of 9mm.

Onetyme
02-17-2013, 5:59 AM
Went to the archery range, picked up an extra mag for my 10/22 as well as 4 signal flares.

GladiatorTactical
02-17-2013, 5:47 PM
Cleaned out another 50 Mason Jars for canning and My kids and I cut out 200 sq ft of lawn for a garden that I am going to teach them how to grow veggies and such. Used a sod cutter, tiller, and my back....oh man its sore today.
I want to teach my 10 yr old twins how to grow veggies and how to eventually be self sustainable off of it.
Now to order some seeds from 24x7 kits

taladeganite
02-17-2013, 6:02 PM
Ate an amazing plate of mushroom raviolis and a ceasar salad with a glass of blood orange san pelligrino.... oh...and I bought 30 rounds of winchester .40 cal for $5.

jbohon
02-17-2013, 7:00 PM
Loaded 300rds .223 yesterday, prepped and primed 400rds .223 brass today.

Tripper
02-17-2013, 8:58 PM
I reviewed this thread to see if I want to pickup on any of the mentions
I see ideas I like on occasion

3RDGEARGRNDRR
02-17-2013, 9:34 PM
The only other ones I could get if I wanted would be Hep A and B but I'm still researching these to see if I want to get them. .

you will need these

L0ne wolf
02-17-2013, 9:41 PM
Make sure to use gas preservative.

jfifer
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Bought more shotgun shells and waterproof ammo cans to store. I also purchased more batteries and a pair of flares. I bought a 7 gallon blue water jug and tossed it in the tub. Cause im lazy. And met a dude at walmart who was buying supplies, so i asked lots of questions. Ended up running to big 5 and grabbed a pair of boots.

bako88fan
02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I finished 3 BOBs today. One for each vehicle with 72 hours of supplies for each family member (4) and, as a thank you gift, put supplies together for a starter BOB for the in-laws. I have other family members who laugh and ridicule me for giving prep-type items as gifts but no one on the receiving end is ever anything but grateful. I've decided that from now on , any gifts I do give will be of a prep nature. Like 0bama says, "if we save just one life" lol.

iron cannon
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
deleted

ExAcHog
02-18-2013, 9:52 PM
Finished a B.O.B for my 12 y/o daughter.

*One full change of clothes + 2 xtra pair socks/undies.
*Gloves, wool cap and sweatshirt, cap.
*3 days of food. 2 packs oatmeal for each breakfast, mountain house for lunch/dinner
*Girly products. :( not quite ready for this...and chapstick, sm first aid kit
*Xtra shoes tied outside.
*Her "necklace" that has small knife, whistle, compass, fire starter
*poncho, plastic bags, zip ties, tube tent, emergency blankets, para cord,
water purification tabs, 2 nalgene bottles, bug spray,
*150 rounds of .22 and 3 mags for her 10/22
*4 or five small water bottles.

It only weighs about 15lbs and is still LIGHTER than the insane amount of books she carries around all day!

kayaker55
02-20-2013, 8:40 PM
1. Started my SHTF Plan I learned to do last Sunday at the SHTF Seminar I took with Stan Lee at http:/www.stcrispian.com

2. Signed up for another survival class 3/23 with Christopher Nyegres.
http://www.christophernyerges.com/

Stan08
02-20-2013, 8:51 PM
I went to the gym because your health only goes down hill after day 1 of SHTF. ;)

32blownhemi
02-21-2013, 2:16 AM
Ordered a Honda EU2000i Companion Inverter Generator... $1099 from Wise Sales...

wolfy
02-21-2013, 8:16 AM
What area of cali do you live in and what is the climate like? if you have any tips on gardening and growing produce you have would be greatly appreciated! my mom and I have been thinking about starting a small garden in our backyard to cut back on produce costs. Thanks!

squash is an abundant grower. A few plants of different varieties will be great. I grew corn last year but it takes 3 months for 2-3 husks per plant. Not a high yield, while my squash just kept producing. Not worth it to grow corn since they need lots of water, and consider the price you can buy them at the store.
Stagger your plants, plant a few , then in a month plant some more and since the growing season is long in so ca plant again. Do this so you can have a constant supply of fruit, because by the time the first plants starts to slow down the last crop will be picking up. For fertilizer, just type in manure in cl and get it for free. Mix it in with your dirt, look up making manure tea.
Tomatoes is another plant that does high yield, plus you can freeze them, can them etc. Swiss chards grow like weeds, kale, and lettuce. Lettuce will bolt(tips turn yellow) in the summer heat if in direct sunlight. Enjoy it's a fun hobby and nice to eat organically non gmo foods.

kaligaran
02-21-2013, 1:19 PM
you will need these

Care to elaborate? I must admit I haven't given it too much thought since getting my TDaP shot.

madland
02-22-2013, 6:07 AM
For those of you with kids..don't forget meds in their age range. Trying to figure out how much medicine you "might" or "think" you should give your kid from the adult bottle of medicine is not something you want to have to worry about if that time should ever come.Wal-mart or Target brand is usually cheaper for ibuprofen,cough&cold,allergy, and other various meds, but I will spring for something that costs a bit more if it has a longer expiration date. Wal-mart always seems to have a bargain bin full of stuff for 99cents. I also buy Tylenol and Motrin in a big bottle from Costco or Sam's Club and put a pinch of each into and old prescription bottle and keep one in the glove compartment of each vehicle, along with some Immodium in there and a few allergy pills in their own foil packet for me and my daughter. My .02

noctambulant89
02-24-2013, 2:48 AM
Bought 2000 rounds 22lr, and set aside money for a 22lr firearm. Also tried out a mossberg 500, rossi 357 revolver, glock 21, and kimber 1911 at the range. Also bought some extra food that has good shelf life.

ireload
02-24-2013, 6:07 AM
Last week made a run to Honeyville and purchased more canned soup mixes, fruits, and 10" cast iron skillet.

Two days ago purchased a Grundig 450SL field radio. I'm trying out all of th features. Also scored on 30lbs of lead for casting from CL

Onetyme
02-24-2013, 3:59 PM
Gear check.

Setup the tent. Fired up the generators. Lit the portable stoves. Checked the propane & electric ranges. Ordered more medical gear. Relaxed.

modernchaos
02-24-2013, 5:13 PM
Wow, some of you guys really go at it hard....Almost feel lazy, after reading a few of your posts,lol.

Anyways, I built a new 6' x 4' raised bed out in the garden, replacing a beat up 4x4 bed I tore down at the end of last summer. I tilled up the all the other beds, and got some manure/compost all mixed in. I also stared at my little "jiffy" greenhouses for awhile, always amazed at how fast some of those seeds sprout up! Now cup of coffee and gonna relax. :cool:

Taidaisher
02-24-2013, 6:32 PM
searched with futility for the parts I need to build my AR. The only thing I have is the 100% stripped lower.
After that, I worked through my garage and found several used and no longer in use sports items. Going to get them cleaned off (remove contact info) and try to get them sold or traded away to fund future prep purchases.

all torque
02-24-2013, 6:53 PM
Bought a few more gallons of water and rotated out some of the items in my supply shelf.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jfifer
02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Bought more batteries, two emergency blankets, and worked out cause im a fatass.

Tripper
02-25-2013, 9:29 PM
Finished up a 4 day defensive handgun course at Front Sight, to hone my skills
Used a 9mm conversion barrel to make sure it works confidently. Went through the entire course with ZERO malfunctions
Edit: well, zero unintended malfunctions
There were of course the requisite malfunction drills

11HE9
02-28-2013, 8:29 PM
I scored a free vacuum sealer :D

It came with a box of pre-fab bags, and several rolls of "Make your own" in 8 & 11 inch widths.

I'll start playing with it this weekend :)

sdblu
03-01-2013, 2:24 PM
Made a Crisco candle, added a peep hole to the front door, and finished up the sprinkler system to the garden.

bruss01
03-01-2013, 3:54 PM
This week:

Upgraded micro solar energy system to mini solar energy system by putting the two 140w panels up on the roof (replacing 3 fifteen watt Harbor Freight panels) and acquired two additional Trojan T-105RE batteries to be used with a Smart Charger unit given to me by a forum friend in TX who wasn't using it anymore. This doubles our energy storage capacity and multiplies our collection capacity six-fold.

Put a FDE XD-9 in ten day jail.

Acquired two JD Machine BCG and Ranier MEDCON match barrels for a pair of 308-AR project rifles I'm working on.

Made arrangements to begin taking Krav Maga classes next week.

AragornElessar86
03-01-2013, 4:12 PM
Rode the cruiser to work today so that when SHTF I'll have accumulated enough peaceful contemplation time to hold me over.

sdkevin
03-02-2013, 9:02 AM
^^^ Good point, make sure you have a working, well-fitted bicycle.

sdblu
03-03-2013, 7:02 AM
Put a Mossberg 535 in jail last night :)

ireload
03-03-2013, 7:56 AM
Purchased 1k small pistol primers and 500 rounds of .22lr from a fellow Calgunner last week.

Purchase several planks of lumber to make more raised bed for growing veggies. Keeping my fingers crossed that my garden will be more successful this year.

ireload
03-18-2013, 9:25 AM
Last week -- purchased 6 50 hour pillar candles on clearance from Walmart's sporting goods section. Purchased 100lbs pure lead bricks from CL for casting bullets. Wifey purchased several more canned goods from the super market to add to our food stash.

kaligaran
03-18-2013, 10:17 AM
This last week I purchased 2 Costco entree buckets (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=699696&page=2), finished my CERT classes (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=685868) and learned to make hardtack (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=681174).

ExAcHog
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Just finished planting two apple trees!

Tripper
03-18-2013, 2:31 PM
Introduced wife to her new gun
By taking her to range to familiarize herself and shoot it

Granite
03-18-2013, 5:56 PM
Potted several dwarf trees in the driveway. Planted 8 tomato plants. Started seeds for chile plants.

Want a trade item? Try habaneros for salsa and cooking. Think of how many people would trade for one. Plus, they can last a long time when dried properly.

sdkevin
03-19-2013, 1:20 AM
Started seeds for chile plants. Want a trade item? Try habaneros for salsa and cooking. Think of how many people would trade for one. Plus, they can last a long time when dried properly.

Excellent point, especially geographically! I started hab, arbol and serrano two weeks ago, from what I read, it's hit or miss

Baylife707
03-23-2013, 5:41 PM
Just bought 101 different fruits and vegetable seeds, sealed and ready for storage!!

sdblu
03-23-2013, 7:36 PM
Started my first garden today. Planted cucumber, bell pepper, carrots, tomato, and eggplant. I hope to add some melons and a pumpkin later in the season.

I also looked around the yard to see where I could plant some dwarf fruit trees. Anyone have any info on which ones are more productive? Or how much root space they take up?

sixoclockhold
03-23-2013, 7:57 PM
50 lbs. of bread flour, 5 lbs of yellow corn meal, two cases of cinnamon pop tarts on sale for a buck a box, another bottle of veg. oil. 100 one a day vitamins, 20 huge zip ties for handcuffs: 175 lbs weight rating, sharpening stone, more coffee, some granola bars and a back up bottle of bleach.

Eat Dirt
03-23-2013, 8:03 PM
Scored a Military water Jerry can for $ 8.00 at a yard sale

Looks Like :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Military-Water-Cans-W-Gasket-Kit-MWC-Jerry-Can-5-Gallon-MWC-Made-USA-/160980802657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257b341c61

Good to go along with my 50 gal. containers for water transport

bluonyx
03-23-2013, 8:13 PM
I tried out a new LGS and was so excited they had ammo on the shelves I had to contain myself. So I bought a few gallons of water for storage, and also picked up 1000 rds of 9mm, 500 rds of 45ACP, and 1200 rds. of .22. Woohoo! :cool2: I also was looking over the Emergency Preparedness Kits but blew my cash on the ammo.

mannyo747
03-24-2013, 9:33 AM
300rds of 223 for a 110 bucks. Felt like i hit the lottery!

SLK619
03-25-2013, 4:58 PM
Bought 200rds. Of PMC 223

roushstage2
03-25-2013, 6:54 PM
I bought all-new, sealed medicines: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, children's aceta and ibu, benadryl, loratadine, petroleum jelly, antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone cream and an itch relief stick to go into my family emergency kit I just started putting together today. I should have started one a long time ago, I know. I've got all of that stuff and a AA LED Maglite, multi-tool, paracord, a 2-pack of Sterno, a six-pack of 9-hour Sterno brand emergency candles, Spark-Lite and a dozen Tinder-Quik fire tabs (want to get a ferro rod too), water/wind proof matches, a variety of Band-Aids (all the fabric kinds and a few waterproof ones) and a Sawyer Extractor Pump Kit...all in an MTM .50cal Ammo Box. Still many other things to buy and add, along with a larger storage container down the road.

cdtx2001
03-25-2013, 7:48 PM
I robbed a CVS pharmacy while they were closed with a stolen U-Haul truck and got all the medical supplies in the place. I now have them hidden in my underground bunker. I had to go back for more when my ol' lady informed me I had to get her an apocalypse worth supply of lady supplies. Sheesh!!

Then, I woke up.

Eat Dirt
03-25-2013, 8:49 PM
I robbed a CVS pharmacy while they were closed with a stolen U-Haul truck and got all the medical supplies in the place. I now have them hidden in my underground bunker. I had to go back for more when my ol' lady informed me I had to get her an apocalypse worth supply of lady supplies. Sheesh!!

Then, I woke up.

Don't forget the Costco size box of T.P.

bsg
03-31-2013, 2:32 PM
purchased a Maglite 3D flashlight for general purpose use; early morning swap meet find.

small hole shooter
04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Practiced cooking with charcoal on my Char-Broiler. Tender meaty short ribs, Argentine sausages, Italian sausages, Merinated Giant shrimp, Tossed salad, assorted leftover beers, Sangria from Spain and Cookie Dough ice cream and donuts. Had some family and friends over to help "prep". I buy my stored food my the most calories per dollar. I do a lot of other things that people have posted as well. Be prepared.

ireload
04-01-2013, 8:40 AM
Purchased 3 boxes of 12 gauge 00 buck from Walmart the other day. Sadly the limit per day.

Ordered 500 pieces of 7.62x39mm Vmax bullets and Lee .358 resize die from Wiedner's

Amended my second raised bed with spaghnum peat to make the soil more acidic. Getting it ready to plant tomatoes.

Onetyme
04-01-2013, 8:04 PM
Purchased a 1/2 acre if land for $500 a few states away. I have an option to buy 2 more plots next to it. Laying plans for a perm exit.

Yes, it's in a very poor area with few jobs. But if things go how we all think they'll go what area will not be poor with few jobs?

Keeping my options open.

sdblu
04-01-2013, 8:13 PM
I went for a hike with my 7 year old. It was a self guided interpretive trail. We both learned that the Soaproot plant can relieve the itch of poison oak. Thought I might pass that on.

peter95
04-01-2013, 9:00 PM
slept in longer, just in case i need to stay up tonight in case of SHTF

kaligaran
04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Purchased a Blackhawk STOMP medic bag used for 1/3 the price of retail.
Also started the conversations to transfer out of CA for this fall.

Cnynrat
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Learning canning so we can build up our stored food supplies with food we might actually enjoy eating. On Sunday we started with something basic and easy: apple sauce.

glassparman
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Got my U.S. GI multicam large rucksack from ebay with the frame and the two sustainment packs. Keep an eye out and you can get them for about $150 with free shipping.

This is nicer than my Kelty I use for backpacking :D

kaligaran
04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Last night I finished my study guide for the HAM technicians license. Taking the class this weekend (Sat and Sun) and taking the test next Saturday the 13th. :punk:

Dirtbikindad393
04-04-2013, 2:26 PM
Rinsing and filling my water storage containers.

ExAcHog
04-04-2013, 6:39 PM
Just bought 4 more (now have 6) 55 gal food grade barrels. After cleaning, sanitizing and filling I will now have just over 400 gallons of water at home including the hotwater heater and bottled water.

supermanuf
04-04-2013, 6:57 PM
Went onto Amazon to just order some Potassium Iodide (you know, "just in case"), ended up with the Katadyn Pocket MicroFilter I've been coveting for years, and SteriPen too, lol.

Eat Dirt
04-04-2013, 8:51 PM
Been saving up the 2 liter soda plactics bottles

Filled them with rice from the Big Costco Bag-O Rice
Load them into a few milk crates and added them to my 'Stash '

kaligaran
04-07-2013, 8:39 PM
Finished HAM radio class today (two day class).
Picked out my radio to buy this week and I go to take my technician's license test next Saturday. :D

MmmSti
04-07-2013, 8:43 PM
Congrats kaligaran ... Ham radio is alot of fun. I hold an extra class license, and have worked alot of DX with 100 watts and a homemade dipole.

Good luck on the exam!

MAC USMC
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Bought a large Honda generator, converted it to propane, rented a 300 gallon propane tank from Ferrell's for $55.00 per year; filled four 55 gallon plastic barrels with water; stocked up on dehydrated food; now stocking First Aid supplies and medicines. Already have sufficient firearms in my safe, stock of ammunition and reloading supplies.

We can have light, heating, hot food and be safe. Life is good and will stay so.

kaligaran
04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Congrats kaligaran ... Ham radio is alot of fun. I hold an extra class license, and have worked alot of DX with 100 watts and a homemade dipole.

Good luck on the exam!

Thanks!

Last night I purchased a used Yaesu VX-7R on ebay. Now I can't wait till my new toy gets here, I should have my license next Monday/Tuesday since I take the class Saturday!

bayslayer
04-09-2013, 4:13 PM
Just bought the 2000W Yamaha Inverter Generator. Costco has a knock off generator just like the Yamaha and Honda's even has the Yamaha engine in it for $599, $400 less than the name brands FYI.

kaligaran
04-13-2013, 8:09 PM
Today I got my HAM radio technician's license. Going back in 3 weeks to take the test for the general license.
:jump:

badreligion
04-13-2013, 8:23 PM
Worked on the trailer today. Second base coat of flat black on the outside, nearly ready for final coat of satin grey to mimic my truck.

Socalman
04-14-2013, 7:52 AM
Rotated some canned foods and put together some that were close to the BEST IF USED BY date in a donation to a local food bank

Eat Dirt
04-14-2013, 7:56 AM
Bought a large Honda generator, converted it to propane, rented a 300 gallon propane tank from Ferrell's for $55.00 per year; filled four 55 gallon plastic barrels with water; stocked up on dehydrated food; now stocking First Aid supplies and medicines. Already have sufficient firearms in my safe, stock of ammunition and reloading supplies.

We can have light, heating, hot food and be safe. Life is good and will stay so.

Outstanding plan !!!

Dirtbikindad393
04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Increased my fuel storage capacity to run genny and for the truck. Now looking to increase water storage.

NotEnufGarage
04-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Today I'm cleaning up the yard, then I'll be planting 4 kinds of peppers, cilantro, basil, cucumbers, bush beans and 5 more tomato plants. Tonight I'm pressure canning about 15 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs.

Over the last few weeks I've put up pot roast and pulled pork in pint jars. After the chicken, next I'll be doing bacon and breakfast sausage.

ireload
04-14-2013, 4:59 PM
Last week ordered 2 - 8lbs Unique and 4lbs R-15 powder

Today smelted the remaining wheel weights (30lbs) and cast them into 1lb ingots. Cast more .690" pumpkin balls and .320" buckshot for my shotty.

Full Clip
04-14-2013, 5:06 PM
Bought fresh first aid supplies to replace out of date stuff.
Worked and made money for more preps...

Rickrock1
04-14-2013, 5:08 PM
Ran 5 miles with my dog

jm9419
04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
picked up 400 rounds of 9mm and got another 15 gallons of water and some food grade buckets to store rice in...gonna get some mylar bags with oxygen absorbers next

kaligaran
04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Ran 5 miles with my dog

Grats on staying in shape. Something so many forget.

I actually bought a 'total gym' knockoff and about a week and a half ago and started working out at home.

fredridge
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
1. cleaning out my garage so I can organize for an emergency better.

2. moving treadmill from garage into house so I will actually use.

3. Went shopping at harbor freight

the86d
04-16-2013, 4:52 AM
Ordered this, well put this on backorder anyway:
...$151.37 8lbs of Varget
$68.21 4lbs of Unique
$25.69 1000 CCI #500 Small pistol Primers
$7.46 10 lbs of COB media...
------------------------------------------
I put a magpul case on my iPhone so I can sext during the robot apocalypse.

An iPhone would be the worst if you are worried about cell-towers and grid going down (think no computer or iCloud for a backup/restore).

I am unaware of any iPhone app that keeps maps local (completely off-line, but I am sure there might be one, but the problem is:)... correct me if I am wrong, but if the device ever whacks-out/has to be factoried there is no way to do a complete restore without a computer that might not have power or cell towers might be down to restore from iCloud.

An Android with root access and a custom recovery that can backup and restore all via the SD card with apps and maps backed up (think offline maps) would be a logical choice...

Steve-O
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Did my daily 5 mile morning hike and shifted ~1200 rounds of various ammo over to my in-law's place (designated SHTF rally point).

kaligaran
04-18-2013, 2:24 PM
Today I participated in the San Mateo County Silver Dragon (http://bsccert.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/save-the-date-silver-dragon-vii-april-18-2013/) exercise which was a drill for the response to a bio-terrorism attack.

I had to get up 2 hours earlier than normal but it was a good time and also good to see ICS in action.

Ervb44
04-18-2013, 9:13 PM
filled my gas tank

Dirtbikindad393
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Increased my water storage by 3 55 gal drums. Increased my fuel storage by 3 more specter 5 gal gas cans.

bsg
04-19-2013, 12:13 AM
picked up extra batteries for Surefire and old 3D Maglite flashlights.

ireload
04-19-2013, 4:10 PM
Purchased 6 #10 cans of freeze dried chicken fettuccini from Costco.

bruss01
04-19-2013, 4:47 PM
Picked up four 12 lb bags of organic brown rice to be vacuum sealed with oxygen absorbers.

Bought four heirloom tomato plants for backyard container gardening.

Found someone with 4 pmags on offer and grabbed them quick.

Assembled all my 10/30 magazines using magblocks and epoxy.

(well, not literally all "today" but certainly within this past week.)

Mini-solar backup supply is online and working after months of tinkering. I think it's finally done.

bruss01
04-19-2013, 4:53 PM
Previously - within past month - got in a shipment of dehydrated eggs and dehydrated dairy products (milk, buttermilk, sour cream). Going to try those out and see how they sit.

Wife took a handgun class and subsequently passed her ccw exam - just waiting on appointment now.

fredridge
04-19-2013, 7:24 PM
bought 2- 30g barrels to store water

Teezee10
04-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Took all the unused MRE items that I didn't eat back then during the many field ops in the past and organized it with like items into packs. Stored for later use/emergencies.

Dirtbikindad393
04-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Spent time trying to rinse the energy drink syrup from my used 55 gal drums. Smells like a Monster Energy. A few rises with bleach and they will be good to go. I also bought a 96 pack of 15 hour votive candles and 24 glass votive candle holders.

bsg
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
paid off layaway on Gen 2 G17 at my lgs, and 10 day wait has begun.

stonith3901
04-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Got the following:

Reliance 10 circuit transfer switch
Yamaha ef3000is generator

About to buy a trifuel conversion kit for the generator to make it run on propane, and 6 propane tanks soon

whlgun
04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
I started reading the Survival and Preparedness forum on calguns again. I haven't been focusing on prepping while all the political BS has been playing out throughout our country.

It feels good to be back in my favorite subforum on this site. I love prepping! The fiance...not so much.

icastillojr
04-30-2013, 7:26 AM
I read corprate and alterntive news & keep my eyes, ears and mind open.

Dano3467
04-30-2013, 3:15 PM
Stonith3901 : That is a sweet Generator. a couple girls on a camp out had one in back of the blazer. we were taking the whole time it was running at the back of her truck. That sucker is soooo quite I couldn't believe it. Good choice..

Dirtbikindad393
04-30-2013, 8:37 PM
I rinsed out 9 Scepter fuel cans to prepare them for storing gas and fuel on a rotation 3 months then rotate.

BCDavis
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
I am working on making a more complete survival kit for the trunk of my car.

Also ordered a couple sets of paper maps, because I realized all the GPS and Cel
devices may no longer work at some point.

Also thinking about picking up a mountain bike as a alternative to gas-powered
vehicles. A horse would be ideal, but living in the city that isn't an ideal option.

Bobbar
05-01-2013, 5:40 PM
I just finished my another gallon in urine collection. Up to 300 gallons :) :O

thomashoward
05-01-2013, 6:41 PM
Load more ammo

kaligaran
05-01-2013, 9:51 PM
Previously - within past month - got in a shipment of dehydrated eggs and dehydrated dairy products (milk, buttermilk, sour cream). Going to try those out and see how they sit.

Wife took a handgun class and subsequently passed her ccw exam - just waiting on appointment now.

Give us a review when you test those dehydrated egg/dairy products out.

And grats to your wife!

zatoh
05-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Received Xantrex SW1000 inverter and associated cables this week. Will bench test tomorrow with the 2 deep cycle batteries I got a couple of months ago.

badreligion
05-04-2013, 1:24 AM
Bought a 4 ton jack to finish my briquette press project. Got several 5 gallon buckets of material soaking.

Planted squash, carrots, corn, peppers, green beans this week.

Started designing my mobile solar/battery 12 volt water pump cart.

Found some 1/4 inch copper tube and going to build a water boiler with it.

Disinfecting 2 new blue water barrels.

Stormfeather
05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Received Xantrex SW1000 inverter and associated cables this week. Will bench test tomorrow with the 2 deep cycle batteries I got a couple of months ago.

I would like to hear how that works out if you dont mind!

sixoclockhold
05-04-2013, 6:24 PM
It was a twofer day:

2 100rd boxes of bullets
2 slings
2 mags

ireload
05-05-2013, 1:02 AM
Wifey purchased more canned goods earlier.

Yesterday charged my car battery jump start unit. But then again I charge that unit every two weeks.

Tripper
05-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I watched Mad Max

kaligaran
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Had about a 1-2 hour window for a hike this weekend.

So I took my GHB (about 15 lbs) and went on a 1.5 mile hike.

The plan is to set aside some time every weekend and take the GHB for a short day hike. Ideally more than 1.5 miles going forward.

sixoclockhold
05-06-2013, 6:36 PM
Chainsaw, my old one seized. I think these will be a very valuable tool for many reasons, but if it gets really bad I plan on taking everything standing down and make a major obstacle course for any bad guys to have to negotiate. Confusion can be scary, they will then have to plan for snipers and "Might" look for an easier area to scout.

fredridge
05-06-2013, 10:12 PM
went to costco, which always has some prepping... buying extra canned goods and another propane tank for bbq - have 3 now

bsg
05-11-2013, 1:26 PM
purchase of parts for magazines of semi-auto handguns.

kaligaran
05-11-2013, 6:47 PM
Today I upgraded my HAM radio license from Technician to General (passed the test with 34/35 questions correct).

And got some new toys out of 10 day jail! :44:

BCDavis
05-14-2013, 6:57 PM
I picked up a slingshot.

I figured in a long-term SHTF situation, if you ran out of ammo,
or didn't want to make a ton of noise, it would be another way
to hunt small game. Much less bulky, compared to a bow and arrow...
You could use rocks for ammo.