PDA

View Full Version : A few scope qustions

caduckgunner
08-19-2007, 4:06 PM
I'm looking for a new scope, and have narrowed my choices down to either a Super Sniper 10x42 or a Bushnell 3200. Both have mil-dot sights and target turrets. A question for you Super Sniper guys. Do you have rear or side focus and how do you like them? Not sure which one I should get.

rksimple
08-19-2007, 4:34 PM
I have had the Bushnell for a few years now. Its seen about 3500 rounds out of my 308 and it hasn't missed a beat yet. It also hasn't had some of the issues I've seen and read about with the Super Snipers (knobs coming loose, reticle turning, tracking issues, etc.). Doesn't mean that some Bushnells won't have problems. But the design of the knobs, for one, lends itself to more reliability than the SS. The SS does look cooler though.

Both of these scopes are very comparable. They are not scopes you want to buy, but have to buy. Save some money by getting the Bushnell and put the difference into ammo and training. Money put into practice will get you further than more money into a scope at this point, especially ones as comparable as these. After a couple thousand rounds, you'll know what you want in an upgrade.

glockman19
08-19-2007, 4:54 PM
I voted other. I have both the Bushnell 3200 & 4200 series and believe the 4200's are worth the additonal cost for the adjustable paralax. I paid $485 for a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 scope that I consistantly shoot out to 600 yards accurately. I love the mil-dot recticle.

The 3200 3-9x40I have is on my Reington 700 CDL for deer hunting. I won't take the shot @ more than 400 yards and find it acceptible.

rksimple
08-19-2007, 6:21 PM
To what range do you anticipate shooting with this scope and under what circumstances? Tactical competitions? Range gun to no more than 600 yards?

I voted other. I have both the Bushnell 3200 & 4200 series and believe the 4200's are worth the additonal cost for the adjustable paralax. I paid $485 for a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 scope that I consistantly shoot out to 600 yards accurately. I love the mil-dot recticle.

That would be a pretty good scope if you only wanted to go to 600 yards or so. I considered it when it first came out. The bad thing about that scope is its pathetic amount of internal adjustment (40 MOA total). With only about 20 MOA of up elevation, 700 yards is getting close to the scopes limit. A canted base would be necessary, and you may not get a 100 yard zero. The side focus and extra magnification could be helpful, however, if you limited you range.

Heres another variable with a mildot reticle in your price range that has a good reputation: http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-buckmasters-4-14x40.html Has 50 MOA total internal adjustment, so a 20 MOA base has a better shot with this scope.

bruce_ventura
08-19-2007, 11:48 PM
The Bushnell 3200 10x40 offers a load of good features at an affordable price: pseudo-Mildot reticle (small dots); 100 moa of elevation adjustment; great sight picture; minimal glare; sturdy micrometer style knobs; Rainguard; still made in Japan. The 4 mm exit pupil is ideal for shooting dawn to dusk.

In short, a basic 10x scope with excellent optics and mechanics, but without frills like variable mag and adjustable focus. I got mine for $163 on eBay (including shipping). You'll spend about twice that for the 10x40 Super Sniper. Are the differences worth the extra cost? Not to me (this time).

Bruce

PistolPete75
08-20-2007, 10:23 AM
i have the ss with the rear parallex adjustments. i haven't had any issues with my scope, and i bought it used from another calgunner. ya there tends to be some quality control issues on SS. some are just made a little better than others, but overall it's a great scope that offers alot of bang for the dollars.

Hot Brass
09-02-2007, 12:48 PM
SS10x42 rear/f here. No issues.

mr2.0
09-03-2007, 9:42 PM
Bought a SS with side focus, reticle turned clockwise after 500 rds on my AR, very smushy knobs and not very audible, I returned it to the seller, bought an IOR and never looked back.

proraptor
09-06-2007, 7:24 PM
I have a rear adjust 10X super sniper and love it....I really dont see any reason to get a more expensive scope right now