PDA

View Full Version : I want to sell an AW out of state

savasyn
08-19-2007, 3:42 PM
I have a AWB registered Hungarian SA85M (AK clone) that I was unable to sell before SB23 hit in 2000. I hadn't thought much about it until when I recently joined this forum. Now that I know that I can sell it out of state, where can I find an FFL with an AW license? I'm in the LA area near LAX if anyone knows one close.

Second question, where can I find out how much it's worth out of state? It's worthless here(can't sell, lend or anything) and out of state people have free reign to any AK they want. I did a google search a found a number of posts on various forums about them, but not any current prices. I did discover that they are well regarded though.

This is my 2nd AK and I hardly ever use it. It probably only has 300 rounds through it.

Any help here would be great!

tiger222
08-19-2007, 4:28 PM
I believe Rettings in Culver City has one, but they are not cheap on fees from what I hear, give them a call. If you don't mind travelling, call Ade's in OC and Gunrunners in Duarte, they probably have the correct permit to. As far as value, I'd scan gunbroker and gunsamerica to see.

Too bad you are selling a reg'd rilfe, I made the mistake of selling a few too, now I really regret it :( Once sold, you also need to contact DOJ and let them know it's no longer in your possession.....

Quiet
08-19-2007, 4:32 PM
You could try and contact CA DOJ and ask them where the nearest FFL dealer with an Assault Weapon permit is.

CA DOJ Assault Weapon Registration and Special Weapon Permits
Phone: (916) 263-8100

NIB Hungarian/KBI SA-85M currently being auctioned for $411.
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78159320

It might cost you more than it's worth to get rid of it.
Why not keep it? Since, it's registered you can configure it almost anyway you like now.

gn3hz3ku1*
08-19-2007, 4:33 PM
keep it since you will never ever be able to get another one

savasyn
08-19-2007, 4:35 PM
Thanks guys!
I'm also toying with the idea of getting the compliance parts so I can do the pistol grip thing. At least then it'd be different than my other one.

$400ish, huh? Hmmm. Especially with the costs involved, it might not be worth it afterall.

Thanks!

The Gunslinger
08-19-2007, 4:40 PM
there is a Santa Fe Gun Gallery in Lancaster that deals AW..cheers

.22guy
08-19-2007, 4:41 PM
I would keep it. Once it's gone, it's gone!

Full Clip
08-19-2007, 4:42 PM
Seems hard to believe that it would be worth more than $450 or so, but (from ak-47.net):

"The SA-85M is a Post Ban Sporterized AK-47, & is probably the highest quality stamped AK-47 variant available today. Unlike most AK's the SA-85M has an attractive look with the reliability of an AK. It has a black mil-spec finish, blond hardwood stock, standard 5rd clip, sling, cleaning kit and manual. It is stamped and has Post U-Notch sights, unfortunately it dose not have windage adjustments. The SA-85M fires the 7.62x39 Russian Round and accepts all AK mags The SA-85M is manufactured by KBI Inc and is still available in the US today however they are now BANNED and can no longer be imported in to the country. AK-47.net purchased one of these great AK’s before they were banned and to this day it still amazes us with its good looks, sturdy composition and great groups.
Please send any information you may have on this rifle to webmaster@ak-47.net. "

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/sa85m.html

sigguy552
08-19-2007, 4:47 PM
Throw it in a cardboard box and send it on its way. That is what 99% of people do anyway.

IH8CALAWS
08-19-2007, 5:15 PM
Keep it! It's not worthless you can shoot it can't you. I wish I would have kept my pre 2000 ak, I kick my self in the a** every time I think about when I sold my romak.

Sydwaiz
08-19-2007, 5:29 PM
Keep it. I never shoot my MAK-90 but I would never get rid of it just because I could never replace it.

savasyn
08-19-2007, 5:36 PM
Interesting turn. I just told my wife I had posted this and that I was considering selling it. After going through the details, even she recommended keeping it. I was a bit surprised about that. She's got nothing against my "toys" but she's usually up for me bring in a little extra cash :)

So there ya go, I'm keeping it and will almost assuredly do the US compliance thing.

BTW, IIRC, my sa85m has a milled receiver not a stamped one. I'll have to go check.

IH8CALAWS
08-19-2007, 5:49 PM
That's what I like to hear, my girlfriend would never let me sell any of my toy's as she knows how much I love them...Almost as much as I love her!:D