PDA

View Full Version : Transportation of Assault weapons laws...

lorenolson888
08-19-2007, 1:16 PM
Hi,

I need help understanding this...

There seems to be some vague law writing regarding Assault weapons...

This document says the following for assault weapons... It does not seem to infer that pree 2000 guns that were registered with CA as assault weapons were exempt... The word "transport" has me a bit concerned...

It is a felony for any person to manufacture, distribute, transport, import into California, or keep or offer for sale, or give or lend, an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle. (Penal Code 12280.)

can I shoot my Armalite AR15 and G-3 rifle anymore... they are registered... I need to transport it to shoot it at the range...

The document it is from is entitled

California Firearms Laws
California Department of Justice
Edmund G. Brown Jr.
Attorney General
http://www.ag.ca.gov/

I can e-mail it is anyone wants.

These law are BS... They are written to make criminals...

Quiet
08-19-2007, 4:11 PM
Hi,

I need help understanding this...

There seems to be some vague law writing regarding Assault weapons...

This document says the following for assault weapons... It does not seem to infer that pree 2000 guns that were registered with CA as assault weapons were exempt... The word "transport" has me a bit concerned...

It is a felony for any person to manufacture, distribute, transport, import into California, or keep or offer for sale, or give or lend, an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle. (Penal Code 12280.)

can I shoot my Armalite AR15 and G-3 rifle anymore... they are registered... I need to transport it to shoot it at the range...

Keep reading PC 12280.

(k)Subdivision (a) shall not apply to:
(1) A person who lawfully possesses and has registered an assault weapon

You can legally shoot it at a target range. You can legally transport it, as long as it's unloaded and in a locked container.

Quiet
08-19-2007, 4:21 PM
PC 12285(c) tells you where you can legally possess your registered assault weapon.

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.

PC 12026.1 tells you how you are suppose to transport your assault weapon to be legal. Substitute pistol/revolver with assault rifle to be relevant to your issue.

(a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

lorenolson888
08-19-2007, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification the DOJ paperwork did not elaborate on the PC ... or maybe it does later in the document...

My tax dollars pay for this sh!$ !!!!

How dumb of me... And I thought the laws against killing people would be adequate...

How about making us better than 49th in the US for public schools... then I might listen to the state of CA...

LO

bwiese
08-19-2007, 10:33 PM
If you have reg'd AWs, they can be transported to select places for appropriate legal uses.

AWs have to be transported locked & unloaded between authorized destinations - like shooting ranges, your home, out of state, etc.

You can't just cruise around with an AW - even if locked/unloaded and registered - as a 'truck gun'.

Visiting places or shooting, you must have express permission to do so. (That's not an issue at most outdoor rifle ranges.)

If your friend gives you permission you can visit him with your AW at his owned home. If you are visting him in his *rented/leased* home it appears you need the landlord's/owner's permission in addition your buddy's.

Piper
08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
I sure hope D.C. v. Heller favorably clears this mess up so we don't have to deal with it anymore.

bwiese
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I sure hope D.C. v. Heller favorably clears this mess up so we don't have to deal with it anymore.

Don't expect immediate results. Parker/Heller is the first step, but others are required.

Aside from Parker, CA AW laws have numerous legal and administrative flaws that can be exploited to kill them off.