PDA

View Full Version : Changing sights on a Smith K-frame

psriley
08-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I bought a set of Meprolight sights to put on my Model 617. The rear is just a replacement blade and the front needs to be drilled for the roll pin.

Anyone know of a somebody in the SD area who could do the work?

I was originally planning to do it myself, but changed my mind. Looks like a specific two-pronged tool is required to remove the rear blade, and I don't really have the tooling to make a precision hole for the front. On other hand, if anyone has done it themselves, and it's easier than it looks, I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.

Cheers!

Mnort10x
08-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I bought a set of Meprolight sights to put on my Model 617. The rear is just a replacement blade and the front needs to be drilled for the roll pin.

Anyone know of a somebody in the SD area who could do the work?

I was originally planning to do it myself, but changed my mind. Looks like a specific two-pronged tool is required to remove the rear blade, and I don't really have the tooling to make a precision hole for the front. On other hand, if anyone has done it themselves, and it's easier than it looks, I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.

Cheers!

The screw and nut are sacrificial, you can only assemble the sights and to remove them you have to unscrew it to brake the connection.

hondo44
09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
The screw and nut are sacrificial, you can only assemble the sights and to remove them you have to unscrew it to brake the connection.

Or drill out the screw from the left side because it's staked in the nut. Did you get a new windage screw and nut with the Blade? You'll need them. After assembling, then restake the screw in the nut.