PDA

View Full Version : Composite Level 4 NIJ Body Armor Interest?

TheTargetMan
12-28-2012, 2:37 PM
We have been broadening horizons and have considered offering NIJ Level 4 Body Armor. This is composite armor, not AR500 Omega Armor.

Price point is somewhere in the neighborhood of $400/pair for front and backs.

What kind of interest is there in these? Most threats can be stopped by Level III rated armor, but the Level IV is nice to have.

Thoughts??

inbox485
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
We have been broadening horizons and have considered offering NIJ Level 4 Body Armor. This is composite armor, not AR500 Omega Armor.

Price point is somewhere in the neighborhood of $400/pair for front and backs.

What kind of interest is there in these? Most threats can be stopped by Level III rated armor, but the Level IV is nice to have.

Thoughts??

Well my main leaning for plates is can I pretty much neglect them (store in a trunk, toss around, keep around for 30 years without worrying about shelf life, etc.), and they are multi hit capable (meaning that if I could replace them if they got hit I would, but they would continue to service well if I couldn't). How do composites stack up on shelf life, abuse, and things like that. What is the weight difference?

If it is similar or less weight, multi hit capable, and robust to everything short of being shot up, and the trade off is roughly double price, I'd pay it.