View Full Version : is a Uberti 1860 Army conversion a "antique firearm"?

12-28-2012, 2:23 PM
Is a Uberti 1860 Army conversion to 45 Colt black powder cartridge classified as a "antique firearm"? I've heard that you can get converted cylinders for black powder guns that count as "antique firearms" and you don't need a permit to buy one (New York listing the names and addresses of all pistol owners was a very disturbing breach of privacy in my opinion). The Uberti 1860 conversion looks interesting because it is converted before they sell it so I wouldn't have to buy an extra cylinder. However, if it is pre-converted, isn't it the same as a normal cartridge pistol?

12-28-2012, 6:47 PM
I am 99% sure you would have to go through an FFL01. Reason being is that it is a "replica" 1860 converted to shoot modern ammunition. Now if it were a legit 1860 then it would be pre 1898 and would be an antique.

12-28-2012, 7:03 PM
To buy a conversion cylinder? No, you do not need a permit.

Now, if the 1860 Army is in a shop with the conversion cylinder installed then it is regulated as a modern centerfire revolver. Replacing the conversion cylinder with a normal cap and ball cylinder will revert it back to its blackpowder status.

Blackpowders are regulated in the same category as antiques, but they are not the same, as an Uberti 1860 Army could have been made in 2005, but an original 1860 Army could have been made in 1862. One is a new blackpowder and the other is a bonified antique.

"Antiques", as defined by law, are firearms that are made before 1899.

12-29-2012, 7:09 AM
Is a conversion cylinder difficult to install? How do you eject the cartridges after you install it?

12-29-2012, 7:58 AM
There's a couple of different kinds. One kind you take out the cylinder, unscrew the back, pull the brass out, put in new ones, screw the back on, put the cylinder back in. This is much easier with a 1858 Remington than a 1860 Colt by the way, and it's also a stronger design. They're supposed to be drop in but sometimes you have to do a little fitting I think. Ideally you would have some extra cylinders so you would do a reload ($$$) in just a few seconds with an 1858. You can see this in Pale Rider just as a side note.

The second kind makes it more like a single action revolver. It has a gate and there's some kind of ejector. But those require some real gunsmithing. That's probably what they're selling, preinstalled, and while convenient it does seem legally dubious.

12-29-2012, 7:58 AM
(slow system double)

12-29-2012, 8:09 AM
About as antique as a 30 year old wife when you want a 20 year old girlfriend.