PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU want a rocket launcher in your neighborhood?

Kid Stanislaus
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I was astounded to see the LA gun buyback program garnered TWO rocket launchers. Whatta ya think, should law abiding citizens have the right to own military rocket launchers?

EDIT: OK, here's an article from Business Insider that should mollify all those who've gotten their knickers in a twist over this thread!

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-lapd-got-punked-and-bought-back-rocket-launchers-that-literally-do-nothing-2012-12

aklover_91
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
If the rounds are 'wooden' and stored in a relatively safe way, yep. It would only bother me if the warheads were stored armed in a haphazard stack inside the oven, as an extreme example.

Librarian
12-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Sure. We could have a parade.

bloodhawke83
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
No, but I'll take a 88 gun. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SNCaliber
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
i wonder what the cops faces looked like when the person brought in the rocket launcher lol

Jeepers
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
someone refresh my memory so when was the last robbery or drive by done with a rocket launcher (in the usa) ?

and yes you can own rocket launcher in the USA its a DD with the proper NFA paperwork ...

here is one but you have to email for price , might be a bit high ;)
http://www.autoweapons.com/products/destructivedevices.html

LIVE RPG7d PARA. in NFA registry
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/photosfeb04/dd1-48rpgd.jpg

rimfire78
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Sure, why not?

Justin Case
12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I was astounded to see the LA gun buyback program garnered TWO rocket launchers. Whatta ya think, should law abiding citizens have the right to own military rocket launchers?

Those were inert. They are single use only. They are available for sale at many Surplus stores. I believe Cali has a law specifically forbidding the possession of them - even when properly demilled.

IVC
12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Rocket launcher is just a relatively simple piece of pipe. Same principle as the sewage pipe, just flushes different type of $#!* and uses different propellant.

Rockets, on the other hand...

bohoki
12-28-2012, 1:04 PM
yea no problem with the launchers only the rockets are scary its not like you can get them at big 5

Nick Justice
12-28-2012, 1:09 PM
It didn't it just jump up all by itself and launch, then explode? Isn't that what things like this do?

Aren't they all made in the firey depths of Mt Doom, by evil oarks, under the direction of the evil Lord Sauroman, imbued with all his wrath, rage, anger, and malice?

(Don't laugh. I know a woman who really believes this.)

cdtx2001
12-28-2012, 1:11 PM
I think every law abiding neighborhood should have a could dozen rocket launchers and rockets. Never know when the tank drive bys are gonna happen.

redcliff
12-28-2012, 1:12 PM
The pictures I saw posted looked like a LAWS tube and an AT-4 tube, both inert/previous fired and normally considerred disposable single-shot tubes.

I'm not sure of their legal status, as I've seen them at numerous gun shows in the past.

Montu
12-28-2012, 1:12 PM
yea I thought they were non re usable AT-4's...

and yes even if it was functioning RPG in the hands of law abiding citizen I wouldn't mind one In my neighborhood..might come in handy when they come for our other toys.

cdtx2001
12-28-2012, 1:14 PM
Aren't they all made in the firey depths of Mt Doom, by evil oarks, under the direction of the evil Lord Sauroman, imbued with all his wrath, rage, anger, and malice?

No, that's where Guns, Fishing, And Other Stuff employees are made.

Rocket launchers come from the same place where kittens, puppies, and ponies are made.

nick
12-28-2012, 1:29 PM

Sure, why not.

As for what turned up at the L.A. buyback, don't forget that you're dealing with the media and a politicized event here. These are likely the inert already fired tubes (and they're single use only), they do turn up at buybacks from time to time, and each time the media makes a big deal out of it. It isn't.

bobgengeskahn
12-28-2012, 1:36 PM
Yes.

Those were inert. They are single use only. They are available for sale at many Surplus stores. I believe Cali has a law specifically forbidding the possession of them - even when properly demilled.

Exactly. The LAW was garbage. One of the pics I saw of the AT-4 actually said "TRAINER" along the side, which would mean it would fire a 9mm. But I don't remember the one I trained on saying "TRAINER" in sharpee on the side. So my guess would be someone that got a spent tube trying to make it look less scary.

So basically both of those were garbage the press is just fear mongering as usual.

triggatronic
12-28-2012, 1:44 PM
someone refresh my memory so when was the last robbery or drive by done with a rocket launcher (in the usa) ?

"Hey blood!" Click-FssssssssBOOM!

Rocket (see movie Colors) would have been able to take out the whole gang in one swoop.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

Foulball
12-28-2012, 1:47 PM
Whatta ya think, should law abiding citizens have the right to own military rocket launchers?

Sure, why not? A ton of people know how to make serviceable munitions and launchers in their own garages already...

:82:

:79:

b.faust
12-28-2012, 1:49 PM
When I read this, the first thing I thought was "prop"
Some of the props i've seen/dealt with would take a serious expert to figure out they're non working replicas.

Jeepers
12-28-2012, 1:50 PM

Rocket (see movie Colors) would have been able to take out the whole gang in one swoop.

:D Michel Douglas can even use one
http://greencarbon2112.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/rocketlauncherfallingdown.jpg?w=304&h=162

BTW i hear DD permits are shall issue in CA if you really want a LIVE launcher tube ;)

Stockton
12-28-2012, 1:51 PM
I could care less what anyone else has: in their home, locked up, and or not used against anyone underserving of a rocket to the head.

In fact I'd appreciate an invite to go shoot it with them and will call you stingy if you don't. LOL!

nothinghere2c
12-28-2012, 1:53 PM
sure, if the owner has it stored properly and invites me to come watch when he finally chooses to rip it off i'm cool with it.

Harrison_Bergeron
12-28-2012, 1:53 PM
My opinion would be based on the stability of the explosives involved. It would be more of a zoning issue in my opinion.

Unstable explosives, like I understand TNT to be, are inherently dangerous just being in a populated area. If it can explode from impact, like falling off of a shelf, or from being in a house fire, then it does not belong in a neighborhood. I would assume that older RPGs fall into this category.

I would prefer that explosives that can only go off when intentionally detonated not be in neighborhoods, but I can see no legal reason to prevent it.

skyscraper
12-28-2012, 1:55 PM
Jumping to conclusions based off the media, aren't we OP?

email
12-28-2012, 1:57 PM
I wonder if I can weld up some pipe, splash on some OD green paint and fake some military logo's, then get a cash card at one of those gun buy backs.

That'd be awesome! Ka.. $$$ Ching!!!

aklover_91
12-28-2012, 1:59 PM
My opinion would be based on the stability of the explosives involved. It would be more of a zoning issue in my opinion.

Unstable explosives, like I understand TNT to be, are inherently dangerous just being in a populated area. If it can explode from impact, like falling off of a shelf, or from being in a house fire, then it does not belong in a neighborhood. I would assume that older RPGs fall into this category.

I would prefer that explosives that can only go off when intentionally detonated not be in neighborhoods, but I can see no legal reason to prevent it.

Cruder, not necessarily older. Most ordnance like rockets, going way back, are generally made from pretty stable explosives and even have built in minimum arming distances.

General rule of thumb, if smacking it with a hammer would be dangerous it's probably not going to be issued to a soldier.

Jeepers
12-28-2012, 2:04 PM

really ? so should there also be a limit on stored ammo in case of building fire ? we all know noone needs 1000's of rounds of ammo that could explode :rolleyes:

you do know that your neighbor right now can legally own a rocket launcher and rocket without telling you ? and someone that goes through with the legal side and spends the $$$ to get one i would assume they would know how to store it ....

walks away shaking his head at gun folks asking for more regs and we wonder why we keep allowing our self to say they are not safe just to be political correct :facepalm: .....

Jeff213
12-28-2012, 2:05 PM
I think we should have a few rocket launchers around, just to make them think twice about rolling over us with tanks.

Fadedline
12-28-2012, 2:25 PM
As long as I can have one too!

SNCaliber
12-28-2012, 2:28 PM
i say we paint a metal tube and glue some stuff on it and bring it to the buyback and get money!

SJgunguy24
12-28-2012, 2:34 PM
A rocket launcher is a piece of tubing with a means to ignite the starter motor. Go to Orchard Supply and that place is loaded with them. :willy_nilly:
Last I heard when you've fired the rocket your supposed to crush any LATW tubes so the enemy can't use them for launching mortors.

morfeeis
12-28-2012, 2:43 PM
If it was legal to own cannons when the 2nd was written i dont see why an RPG's wouldn't be ok today.

besides the pr stunt by the media from what i understood the tube that were turned were useless.

Mr. Beretta
12-28-2012, 3:01 PM
It looked like an off list pre lock to me. :)

Seriously, aren't those tubes completely harmless?

PeaceLover
12-28-2012, 3:03 PM
How can we get people to sell us their guns for a $50 gift card to Ralphs?

El Toro
12-28-2012, 3:07 PM

Yes, agreed
This thread is FUD.

Furthermore only the nitroglycerin-based TNT was unstable. The recipe was changed over 100 years back.

HighWildFree
12-28-2012, 3:12 PM
Considering they were single use and already used I could care less If someone has one. It's a lot harder to conceal a rocket launcher.

One time I was walking to class at CSUF when a guy passed by me, he had a rocket launcher on a sling, slung over his shoulder, he looked like ROCP to me. But it didn't seem to bother anyone walking through campus.

On a side note these buybacks are rediculous; might as well be a turn in your murder weapons drive, If I had something I wanted to get rid of that is where I would go.

Also, how much history is lost during these drives? How many of these firearms being turned in are not only valuable money wise but historically as well?

I find these drives to be disgusting and socially irresponsible.

mvpatriot
12-28-2012, 3:13 PM
op should get a job for the LA times...

IVC
12-28-2012, 3:15 PM
It looked like an off list pre lock to me. :)

Seriously, aren't those tubes completely harmless?

Depends on how hard you swing ;).

Harrison_Bergeron
12-28-2012, 3:16 PM
1. Ammo that cooks off in a fire is not a danger outside of the immediate area of the fire. There are currently limits on how much gun powder can be possessed for this exact reason. Black Powder is limited to 5 pounds. My way would allow people in rural areas as much as they want.

2. Like I specified, some explosives cannot be guarded against accidental detonation or fire, I have no problem with the ones that can.

Nice try.

really ? so should there also be a limit on stored ammo in case of building fire ? we all know noone needs 1000's of rounds of ammo that could explode :rolleyes:

you do know that your neighbor right now can legally own a rocket launcher and rocket without telling you ? and someone that goes through with the legal side and spends the $$$ to get one i would assume they would know how to store it ....

walks away shaking his head at gun folks asking for more regs and we wonder why we keep allowing our self to say they are not safe just to be political correct :facepalm: .....

Jeepers
12-28-2012, 3:28 PM
1. Ammo that cooks off in a fire is not a danger outside of the immediate area of the fire. There are currently limits on how much gun powder can be possessed for this exact reason. Black Powder is limited to 5 pounds. My way would allow people in rural areas as much as they want.

2. Like I specified, some explosives cannot be guarded against accidental detonation or fire, I have no problem with the ones that can.

Nice try.Nice try? at what ?

show me where having a Rocket Launcher and Rockets are not legal to own in CA with a DD permit that is "shall issue", granted the permit does not allow you to shoot said rocket legally in CA , but you are at this time allowed to "collect" them , you are purposing more restrictions like most CA folks are though in towel ,waving surrender under the guise of political correctness , again show me a street crime where a launcher was used ... ban launches there scary and you cant hunt with them :facepalm:

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2012, 3:29 PM

Yes.

No, I mean, "HELL YES!!!"

I want at least two.

One in my domicile.

One in my trunk.

Assuming we have changed the laws accordingly.

Next question?
:chris:

mshill
12-28-2012, 3:31 PM
Sure, but only if I get to practice with it at the indoor range.

violentmouse
12-28-2012, 3:44 PM
if you look at the 2012 buyback, they talk about several hundred "assault rifles" but all I saw in the photos were wood stocked heirlooms.... WTF...
I think I need to schedule a SoCal calguns buyback any ffl volunteers so we can mass DROS turned in firearms to people who WANT to have a 2nd amendment ? lol

Guntech
12-28-2012, 3:46 PM
Where do I sign?

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2012, 3:53 PM

You were "astounded?"

What?

Do you live in a snow globe?

You have no notion of criminal element lurking in Los Angeles County?

Wow.

That is something that to me is "astounding."
:facepalm:

Even if you are only looking at teenaged gangbangers, we have ~20,000 of them on active probation annually.

That means that's how many we've caught.

Not how many there are.

That averages to about 5 known ones per square mile.

That number does not include adult (18+ years old) gangbangers, ex-cons, parolees, or fugitives from justice.

Nor does it include the ones who have never been arrested and/or convicted.

Are you really this naive?

"Astounded?"

Really?

chillincody
12-28-2012, 4:03 PM
"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" yes a law abiding citizen should be allowed to own a rocket launcher we should be able to own any weapon our military uses thats what the founding fathers wanted it would be pretty hard to fight a tyrannical goverment if all we could have is semi auto rifles and handguns.

Eldraque
12-28-2012, 4:10 PM
"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" yes a law abiding citizen should be allowed to own a rocket launcher we should be able to own any weapon our military uses thats what the founding fathers wanted it would be pretty hard to fight a tyrannical goverment if all we could have is semi auto rifles and handguns.

this

El Toro
12-28-2012, 4:13 PM
You were "astounded?"

What?

Do you live in a snow. ?..

Im disappointed in your sarcasm. Your critical points were lost.

Scott Connors
12-28-2012, 4:38 PM

Not really. These would have been antiitank rockets, which use a shaped charge to burn through armor. THere would have been little blast effect and no sharapnel.

dfxjedi
12-28-2012, 4:44 PM
I'm fine with it.

NoNOS67
12-28-2012, 5:07 PM
I'll take it!

Bw511
12-28-2012, 5:41 PM
Yes, I want rocket launchers in my neighborhood. As long as the munitions are stable, the operator has obtained the weapon legally, and he lets me shoot it at least twice.

bohoki
12-28-2012, 5:41 PM
love all them movies that use rockets

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/246401commando19850401.jpg

36IxAWko46A

CyXQp-HzLaE

JxR7RYuF2fU

ImNnTsDIVyU

Cavguy
12-28-2012, 5:59 PM
These should have been properly identified as *spent* or fired rocket tubes. What I saw was obviously an AT4 tube they are one use only fire and throw away NO reloading, etc.. Absolutely harmless, as I soldier I managed a armsroom full of lives ones.

philobeddoe
12-28-2012, 6:03 PM
"shall not be infringed"

they should sell 'em at Turners

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2012, 6:23 PM
Im disappointed in your sarcasm. Your critical points were lost.

I apologize.
:43:

choprzrul
12-28-2012, 6:29 PM
This is Choprzrul's personal viewpoint, so YMMV.

When the founders penned 'arms', private citizens owned cannons. Private citizens could own anything that they could afford.

Now, fast forward to present day. I see no problem defining 'arms' as any type of weapon commonly available to our war fighters at the company level. If they have need for it on today's battlefield, we need it to be able to resist tyranny.

So, yes, rocket launchers, anti tank weapons, anti aircraft, belt fed machine guns, mortars, etc.

$$$ is the limiting factor.

violentmouse
12-28-2012, 6:39 PM
no wai.... you cant have those because then how would the gob'mnt control you if you could fight back...

wait... oh yeah we CAN fight back but we CHOOSE not to actually fight back and instead try to win by legally challenging a system that illegaly mames our rights. maybe we should do a million gun march lolz

(sorry I'm just really sad because of all the recent negativity. someone cheer me up with good news... did peruta win yet ?)

Harrison_Bergeron
12-28-2012, 6:40 PM
The munitions bunkers at the Seal Beach Naval armory look to be about a mile from any other structure, even further away from any housing areas. I assume that all munitions depots are similar. Why shouldn't the same practice be used by non-military?

They don't store their explosives in military housing areas, so why should civilians?

violentmouse
12-28-2012, 6:42 PM
WTF@ triple post

violentmouse
12-28-2012, 6:42 PM
WTF@ triple post

violentmouse
12-28-2012, 6:43 PM
cuz we keep it in the garage durrrr :P

mud99
12-28-2012, 6:51 PM
I think we should have the same rights as police to have rockets.

kilrain
12-28-2012, 6:52 PM
I can't believe there is actual conversation about ownership of a frakkin' tube made of plastic, fiberglass, aluminum, composite carbon fiber or whatever. The things "sold" back to LA were frakkin' empty tubes that contain nothing, NOTHING, explosive or usable. A seamless drive shaft tube is more dangerous since it could be used with black powder or even starter fluid to "fire" a projectile and it could double as a club.

Grim_Reaper_1
12-28-2012, 6:54 PM
"Equivilant weapons", the miltary has them so we should also, no exceptions!

Treadstone
12-28-2012, 6:59 PM
Law abiding citizens used to cruise the coast in their own War Ships.

Only problem I have is you can't find cheap reloads at Crossroads of the West ;)

Treadstone
12-28-2012, 7:00 PM
Law abiding citizens used to cruise the coast in their own War Ships.

Only problem I have is you can't find cheap reloads at Crossroads of the West ;)

Nyanman
12-28-2012, 7:04 PM

It depends. Is it MY rocket launcher, or does it belong to a shooting buddy? How about, does it belong to any law-abiding citizen?

Honestly, I don't care. besides, most rocket launchers you can get tend to either have rockets you can't buy, or are just not effective against anything modern.
Like those 37mm rockets for the LAW subcaliber inserts, they aren't much of a threat.
Or for an RPG-7, you can get a subcaliber insert that fires A 7.62mm round. That isn't a threat either.
Now, the actual rockets are pretty much impossible to get, and even then, places don't exactly want to sell you new rockets, and don't have old ones to sell.

Bbonez
12-28-2012, 7:13 PM
I bet it was an airsoft toy, and the idiots gave him a gift card for it. Then the guy took giftcard to walmart and bought some live ammo!:clown:

OrenG
12-28-2012, 7:15 PM
Why shouldn't it be legal? If it's illegal and people still have them, namely those who would use them for evil purposes, why not us?

Bobby Hated
12-28-2012, 8:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn#/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn

guys its a frigging used AT-4 tube!! that thing is utterly harmless. its a thousand dollar paperweight.

its embarassing the LAPD didnt have one person with a brain who knew that its a worthless piece of used ordinance.

NoNOS67
12-28-2012, 9:03 PM
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3505200331.html

He's probably just upgrading to a larger model.

myk
12-28-2012, 9:33 PM
What's there to worry about. If the RPG's were owned by "NON" law-abiding citizens then I'd be worried. But if the owners of the RPG's are "law-abiding" citizens that acquired them legally, then what's the problem?

Why is it ok for criminals and bad people to own fully automatic weapons, RPG's, drugs, whores and whatever the hell else they feel like owning, but tax paying, law-abiding, church-going folks have to put up with semi-auto, bullet buttons, 10/30 'mags and other forms of neutered B.S.?

Harrison_Bergeron
12-28-2012, 9:41 PM
The buyback was just a jumping off point for a conversation about whether the pro-2A crowd would approve of civilians having real firepower, the propaganda of the LAPD is a different thread.

I can't believe there is actual conversation about ownership of a frakkin' tube made of plastic, fiberglass, aluminum, composite carbon fiber or whatever. The things "sold" back to LA were frakkin' empty tubes that contain nothing, NOTHING, explosive or usable. A seamless drive shaft tube is more dangerous since it could be used with black powder or even starter fluid to "fire" a projectile and it could double as a club.

leitung
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
YEAH! Because those once fired LAW launchers and M136 AT-4 launchers are SOOOO dangerous, I mean you could really beat the hell out of someone with those suckers. I wonder how stupid they are gonna feel when someone tells them those are one use only weapons and the tube they have there is useless as a stick of PVC pipe, they can't be reused whatsoever. But alas, the gun grabbers will never let a good opportunity to scare the uninformed masses.

kilrain
12-28-2012, 10:29 PM
YEAH! Because those once fired LAW launchers and M136 AT-4 launchers are SOOOO dangerous, I mean you could really beat the hell out of someone with those suckers. I wonder how stupid they are gonna feel when someone tells them those are one use only weapons and the tube they have there is useless as a stick of PVC pipe, they can't be reused whatsoever. But alas, the gun grabbers will never let a good opportunity to scare the uninformed masses.

YOU..........YOU with your facts and logic.............YOU.........STOP IT before somebody realizes you are right!

speleogist
12-29-2012, 12:10 AM

Yeah, two rocket launchers and all the brand new ARs (including the more deadly and evil shrubmaster held up for all to see) definitely weren't thrown into the mix by government agencies/the police to make these worthless gun buybacks seem worthwhile.

GOEX FFF
12-29-2012, 12:21 AM

http://www.0-60mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/quadruple-facepalm.jpg

Boy, the media sure has a grip on people.

PLEASE do some research before you jump to asinine conclusions.

As stated, you can buy INERT AT4's all day long. They are sold as inert, disposed surplus and are nothing more than a fiberglass tube.

gazzavc
12-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Waiting to see one of these show up.............

http://www.inert-ord.net/atrkts/piat/piatlauncher.jpg

GOEX FFF
12-29-2012, 12:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn#/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn

guys its a frigging used AT-4 tube!! that thing is utterly harmless. its a thousand dollar paperweight.

its embarassing the LAPD didnt have one person with a brain who knew that its a worthless piece of used ordinance.

They're not $1000 dollars -

https://www.buymilsurp.com/m136-at4-anti-armor-weapon-inert-display-p-42716.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=AT4&PageSize=75

Kid Stanislaus
12-29-2012, 12:32 AM

Actully, just have'n a bit o' fun!:D

Kid Stanislaus
12-29-2012, 12:39 AM
op should get a job for the LA times...

I applied but made the mistake of using my LTC for identification!:D

darksands
12-29-2012, 12:47 AM
My neighbor has a cannon in his front yard. Doesn't bother me.

DannyInSoCal
12-29-2012, 12:56 AM
I painted a paper towel tube OD Green -

Then wrote "ARMY" on it with my sharpie.

Just as "evil and dangerous" as those other tubes....

When is the next buy-back...?

jaustin612
12-29-2012, 1:17 AM
A live AT4? it makes me very curious how that got out... Im an ordnanceman by trade those are CATI cradle to the grave weapons meaning that they are signed for and tracked from manufacture to expenditure... Im willing to bet that that one is an inert trainer, they are all over pendleton and sometimes you see em on ebay. funny that in the pics Ive seen they dont hold it so you can see if it is empty or not...

Thats a one shot use launcher anyways. other than a goofy club thats all that could be used for once its empty.

vliberatore
12-29-2012, 1:22 AM
Whatta ya think, should law abiding citizens have the right to own military rocket launchers?

Key word is bolded. No issues here.

ohiknow
12-29-2012, 1:23 AM
How can we get people to sell us their guns for a $50 gift card to Ralphs?

Even better, just get an FFL to stand out there near the gun buy and offer $50 Cash. You know they're going to sell their gift cards anyway. Ralph's doesn't sell weed, or crack.

Sakiri
12-29-2012, 1:27 AM
Wouldnt bother me. Know a guy that had something similar, but since its been six years I forget details. Same guys got like 40+ broomhandles lying around. Lol.

Big John
12-29-2012, 4:52 AM
The items in question are actually completely legal and 100% inert. They are basically fiberglass tubes with some cool stickers on them. I think its funny that the LAPD gave the people money for a non firearm item... shows how stupid they are.

Bobby Hated
12-29-2012, 5:54 AM
Ha ha well it was if it had something in it!

They're not $1000 dollars -

https://www.buymilsurp.com/m136-at4-anti-armor-weapon-inert-display-p-42716.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=AT4&PageSize=75

spamsucker
12-29-2012, 6:03 AM
wonder if OP is feeling sheepish or just plain dumb at this point. Here's a thought, why not dig head out of rectum before posting idiocy full of fail and distracting all these good people from their daily time wasting.

Moonshine
12-29-2012, 7:25 AM
They used to sell those spent tubes all the time during gun shows in the 90s what's the big deal? A baseball bat is more dangerous than a spent tube.

AJAX22
12-29-2012, 7:34 AM
I have an m72 law with a m190 subcaliber adapter

Legally a 'emergency signaling device'

It fires 35mm rockets, not 66mm rockets

fragthefreaks
12-29-2012, 9:33 AM
Rockets not so much.

Cruise Missiles are much more fun.

FwV-JucQktQ

scarville
12-29-2012, 9:47 AM

This video?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn

Those were not RPG launchers as advertised. One was from a LAW the other was, I think, an AT-4. Neither is reloadable. The most dangerous thing you could do with one is make it into a bong.

And get a load of that security "expert". He was either ignorant or deliberately lying.

Kid Stanislaus
12-29-2012, 5:56 PM
wonder if OP is feeling sheepish or just plain dumb at this point. Here's a thought, why not dig head out of rectum before posting idiocy full of fail and distracting all these good people from their daily time wasting.

TSK! TSK! TSK! REALLY now Spamsucker! So very harsh!!:rolleyes:

MrOrange
12-29-2012, 8:28 PM
Yes, for all the reasons others have posted.

That Business Insider story had a link to an LA Times article stating the LAPD is going to investigate where the launchers came from, with the help of uncle Sam.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12/two-rocket-launchers-in-gun-buy-back-inert-lapd-checking-origins.html

Nice, they don't bother to check any functioning weapons, but go after the folks who turned in an inert tube. And the people turning them in didn't even get a gift card!

MrOrange
12-29-2012, 8:29 PM
dbl post

11HE9
12-29-2012, 8:42 PM
The pictures I saw posted looked like a LAWS tube and an AT-4 tube, both inert/previous fired and normally considerred disposable single-shot tubes.

I'm not sure of their legal status, as I've seen them at numerous gun shows in the past.

X2 this ^^^

My "Job" in the Army was - Heavy Anti-Tank Weapons Specialist (11HE9)

Basically... what got turned in was a couple of harmless fibreglass tubes :facepalm:

durandal
12-29-2012, 8:50 PM
They are inert tubes. At4s are one use only i believe.

MattyB
12-29-2012, 8:59 PM
Do you want a rocket launcher in your neighborhood?

I want 10, encircling my home with the ability to identify threatening individuals that are going to do me harm and dispatch them accordingly.

If I cant have that the Ill take the normal shoulder fired non-automatic ones....

eric2063
12-29-2012, 9:22 PM
Nice try? at what ?

show me where having a Rocket Launcher and Rockets are not legal to own in CA with a DD permit that is "shall issue", granted the permit does not allow you to shoot said rocket legally in CA , but you are at this time allowed to "collect" them , you are purposing more restrictions like most CA folks are though in towel ,waving surrender under the guise of political correctness , again show me a street crime where a launcher was used ... ban launches there scary and you cant hunt with them :facepalm:

Jeepers you asked for it:
California Penal Code section 12301 (a)

(2)Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

(3)Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore) conforming to the definition of a "destructive device" found in subsection (b) of Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, shotgun ammunition (single projectile or shot), antique rifle, or an antique cannon. For purposes of this section, the term "antique cannon" means any cannon manufactured before January 1, 1899, which has been rendered incapable of firing or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. The term "antique rifle" means a firearm conforming to the definition of an "antique firearm" in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

(4)Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

As far as street crime, no I can't show you a prosecuted case where an AT4 case was used, I have however personally investigated a case where one was used as a base component for an IED; and yes it was within California not Afganistan or Iraq
I'm not saying it's right or just, but it's on the books & you can be arrested for it.

MattyB
12-29-2012, 9:34 PM

(2)Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

(3)Any weapon of a caliber greater than 0.60 caliber which fires fixed ammunition, or any ammunition therefor, other than a shotgun (smooth or rifled bore) conforming to the definition of a "destructive device" found in subsection (b) of Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, shotgun ammunition (single projectile or shot), antique rifle, or an antique cannon. For purposes of this section, the term "antique cannon" means any cannon manufactured before January 1, 1899, which has been rendered incapable of firing or for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. The term "antique rifle" means a firearm conforming to the definition of an "antique firearm" in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

(4)Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

I'm not saying it's right or just, but it's on the books & you can be arrested for it.

If you paid your stamp tax and recieved the ok of the Sheriff, you most definitely can own and store a DD.

Not all NFA items are prohibited in California, just most of them.

What you posted is what is illegal WITHOUT the above mentioned Ok of the Government.

eric2063
12-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Honestly I am not trying to be a lightening rod (much) I was simply answering the question posed by Jeepers, he asked to show where and if there were any street crimes committed using an empty AT4 case which I did. :oji:
To bad the same freedoms I enjoy where I live now are not available here in my state of birth, but getting worked up about an empty useless rocket launcher tube is a waste of time :chris:

Twystd1
12-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Don't worry.

That is a "Pre Ban" tube. Not on the Kassler list.

:43::mnl::90::Ivan:

MattyB
12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Honestly I am not trying to be a lightening rod (much) I was simply answering the question posed by Jeepers, he asked to show where and if there were any street crimes committed using an empty AT4 case which I did. :oji:
To bad the same freedoms I enjoy where I live now are not available here in my state of birth, but getting worked up about an empty useless rocket launcher tube is a waste of time :chris:

No that is NOT what he asked.

show me where having a Rocket Launcher and Rockets are not legal to own in CA with a DD permit that is "shall issue", granted the permit does not allow you to shoot said rocket legally in CA

You replied by posting the Penal Code for ILLEGAL possesion of a DD.

Your post is so full of fail, it failed the fail test.

Eirerogue
12-29-2012, 11:05 PM
But Charlie Beck got his photo op, saving LA from the Devils with Rocket Launchers.

DJMenace
12-29-2012, 11:24 PM
for a min. i was like WTF no way so have to read about it and was like oooo there surplus lol i had one of those AT4 launchers before got it for like a 100 bucks and sold it in a week theres a few of them around that i seen but airsofters have them yeah its the real deal AT4 but they would convert it to shoot nuff rockets pretty cool

G-Man WC
12-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Maybe some fast and furious arms made it back across the border from Mexico?
-g

Jeepers
12-29-2012, 11:57 PM

As far as street crime, no I can't show you a prosecuted case where an AT4 case was used, I have however personally investigated a case where one was used as a base component for an IED; and yes it was within California not Afganistan or Iraq
I'm not saying it's right or just, but it's on the books & you can be arrested for it.case # :popcorn: and see your pc12301 (a) with pc12305(see below)

you did where ? i don't see any proof a DD is illegal with a DD permit or any street crimes committed with one ....

Originally Posted by Jeepers
show me where having a Rocket Launcher and Rockets are not legal to own in CA with a DD permit that is "shall issue", granted the permit does not allow you to shoot said rocket legally in CA
You replied by posting the Penal Code for ILLEGAL possesion of a DD.

Your post is so full of fail, it failed the fail test.i posted what penal code ? eta my bad i had to reread it its late ...lol

but heres one ...
i can not say first hand as i dont have enough $$$ to collect DD's but i hear this permit is "shall issue" ;)http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/FD030DWApp.pdf
California Penal Code 12305
California Codes > California Penal Code > Part 4 > Title 2 > Chapter 2.5 > 12305

Current as of: 2010
Check for updates
2009 version
(a) Every dealer, manufacturer, importer, and exporter of
any destructive device, or any motion picture or television studio
using destructive devices in the conduct of its business, shall
obtain a permit for the conduct of that business from the Department
of Justice.
(b) Any person, firm, or corporation not mentioned in subdivision
(a) shall obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in order to
possess or transport any destructive device. No permit shall be
issued to any person who meets any of the following criteria:
(1) Has been convicted of any felony.
(2) Is addicted to the use of any narcotic drug.
(3) Is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing,
receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm.
(c) Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by
the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified
to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state
the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full
description of the use to which the destructive devices are to be
put.
(d) Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state
on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
(e) Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing
his or her application a fee not to exceed the application processing
costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to
this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and
annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the
payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application
processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department
establishes fees sufficient in amount to cover processing costs, the
amount of the fees shall only increase at a rate not to exceed the
legislatively approved cost-of-living adjustment for the department.
(f) Except as provided in subdivision (g), the Department of
Justice shall, for every person, firm, or corporation to whom a
permit is issued pursuant to this article, annually conduct an
inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile
the inventory of destructive devices.
(g) A person, firm, or corporation with an inventory of fewer than
five devices that require any Department of Justice permit shall be
subject to an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and
to reconcile inventory, once every five years, or more frequently if
determined by the department.

myk
12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
They used to sell those spent tubes all the time during gun shows in the 90s what's the big deal? A baseball bat is more dangerous than a spent tube.

That's what SHE said...

eric2063
12-30-2012, 9:58 AM
Thanks for pointing out my epic failure(s), you're a true Internet warrior.
Keep up the good work

Wrangler John
12-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey, back in the late 1950's we kids used to twist one end of a paper dinking straw closed (yes they were made from paper) then fill them with black powder and - whoosh - off they went to about 35 feet altitude. Does that count? I guess today we'd be labeled terrorists, or worse we'd be called the Dairy Queen Terrorists, milkshake straws having a larger fuel capacity and all.

Kid Stanislaus
12-30-2012, 2:29 PM
Your post is so full of fail, it failed the fail test.

HEY! Somebody scoop that up and take it to a university lab for analysis!:D

Tarn_Helm
12-30-2012, 5:39 PM
This video?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2012/12/28/tsr-dnt-l-a-gun-buyback-gets-rocket-launchers.cnn

Those were not RPG launchers as advertised. One was from a LAW the other was, I think, an AT-4. Neither is reloadable. The most dangerous thing you could do with one is make it into a bong.

And get a load of that security "expert". He was either ignorant or deliberately lying.
(Emphasis added above.)

Then it's and Assault Bong.

This means that the LAPD presided over an Assault Bong Buyback.

I feel safer already.

And my "Toker" neighbors feel less stoned.

IBTL
:D

ott1
12-30-2012, 6:50 PM
WTF is wrong with people turning in a HK 91A3 w/ bipod. If that's a genuine HK bipod, it sells for double what they'll get in gift card. Too bad those MAK90s and all the other good stuff is going to the crusher. Too bad no FFL dealer is buying up any of these before they were turned in.

badicedog
12-30-2012, 7:08 PM
To OP stop sensationalizing this... They were demilled tubes, inert, harmless! Don't know why everybody is getting all riled up about this?

Nyanman
12-30-2012, 7:22 PM
Sure, why not? A ton of people know how to make serviceable munitions and launchers in their own garages already...

Building a rocket launcher is the easiest thing. You just need a piece of straight pipe and some way to activate the rocket, like one of those electric model rocket igniters.
It isn't like a conventional firearm, where there are pressures that the tube must resist, all the rocket exhaust just gets vented out the rear and quite thin tube can be used.

Nyanman
12-30-2012, 7:24 PM
Cruder, not necessarily older. Most ordnance like rockets, going way back, are generally made from pretty stable explosives and even have built in minimum arming distances.

General rule of thumb, if smacking it with a hammer would be dangerous it's probably not going to be issued to a soldier.

I know the RPG7 has not only a minimum arming distance, but a minimum acceleration before it will activate as well.
If one misfires and you waited long enough to rule out a hangfire, you can grab the rocket and toss it away, as it will be essentially inert, as the fuse mechanisms will not have armed.