PDA

View Full Version : Information please on ar15 80%

cAlspec
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Looking for someone to guide me in the right direction. Does anybody know if you need a special liscence (FFL), in order to be a manufacturer of 80% Ar-15 Lower Receivers? Information or links to other sites would be greatly appreciated. I am a new user to this site and i do apologize if I am in the wrong Forum. Thank You

LMTluvr
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Try searching the forum.
Lots of great pertinent info.

Akers
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Tons of info on Jerry's build party thread

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405241

Harrison_Bergeron
12-28-2012, 2:02 PM
Are you asking about turning a raw forging into an 80%(or machining a blank into an 80%) to sell for the end user to finish 100%?

Or about whether you need permission to turn an 80% into a working firearm?

Flintlock Tom
12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
An "80% lower" is not a firearm. You do not need a license to make, sell or juggle them.

Stonewalker
12-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Its just a hunk of aluminum. Not regulated in any manner.

Stonewalker
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll admit that I'm not particularly educated on the manufacturing side of things, but I did quite a bit of research before I built up an 80% last year. Everything I read seemed to indicate that an 80% lower is not a lower at all, and the ATF currently has no legal authority over their regulation, and thus cannot require any action from anybody who makes, sells, trades, etc 80%s.

I of course, very well could be wrong - but now my curiosity is piqued and I look forward to a solid answer.

Stonewalker
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll admit that I'm not particularly educated on the manufacturing side of things, but I did quite a bit of research before I built up an 80% last year. Everything I read seemed to indicate that an 80% lower is not a lower at all, and the ATF currently has no legal authority over their regulation, and thus cannot require any action from anybody who makes, sells, trades, etc 80%s.

I of course, very well could be wrong - but now my curiosity is piqued and I look forward to a solid answer.

Intimid8tor
12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Once you start manufacturing that hunk of Alluminum into 80's you need the atf approval if your going to sell.

Technically, I don't think you NEED it to sell them. However, I would say it is prudent to have the letter to protect yourself and your customers. AND, most people won't buy without the product having a letter stating they are not firearms.

Stonewalker
12-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Technically, I don't think you NEED it to sell them. However, I would say it is prudent to have the letter to protect yourself and your customers. AND, most people won't buy without the product having a letter stating they are not firearms.

Got it! The letter is a confirmation from the ATF that they are not firearms. That makes sense, and I do recall something about that letter when I bought a few 80%s from Tactical Machining.

hawk1
12-29-2012, 5:11 PM
This guy has one post and you're all falling over each other. :facepalm:

Loose lips sink ships...