PDA

View Full Version : Stop Complaining, Stop Speculating, Stop Panic Buying

durandal
12-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies,)

I may be a buffoon but please take a moment to consider the following: :oji:

Please stop complaining and Donate what you can to the NRA-ILA, Calguns Foundation, Second Amendment Foundation, California Rifle & Pistol Association. Hoarding is an inefficient way to spend our hard earned dollars at this point in time. Better to defeat this monster now and buy an AR15 at $650 in a few months than panic buying a rifle $3,000 that will just be taken away from you.

I just wrote every Congressional representative with a personal letter detailing the necessity of a people to be armed in order to resist tyranny or foreign invasion, as well as the individual need for self defense. My letter was based on my family's history in escaping & fighting against tyrannical government and recent local incidents where helpless people with no means of self defense have been victimized by criminals.

Every single post here on calguns.net where we bicker and debate amongst ourselves is a waste of keystrokes. :facepalm:

Donate and write to congress. :o Please.

HK Dave
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Agreed... i spent the evening writing emails to the members of congress that represent me... including a letter to Feinstein that she needs psychological help. Just because she was the target of a terrorist group, does not mean we should have our 2nd amendment rights taken away. We're not terrorist. :P

Danz la Nuit
12-28-2012, 12:42 AM
In the last 2 weeks I have renewed my NRA membership, purchased lifetime (25$/3months) NRA memberships for each one of my parents.

I gave 400$ to the CRPA earlier this year

I give 25$ a month to the CGF

I have given 50$ to each state gun rights group that is most prominent in whatever state the shooting took place in. ie: Colorado, Connecticut

I have had over 50 patient, and productive gun rights conversations with people I know who are at various levels of gun support

I have taken 2 others shooting and they are both actively researching what their impending first firearm purchases will be

durandal
12-28-2012, 1:06 AM
sorry for being grumpy

dfletcher
12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
sorry for being grumpy

It worked - I donated to CGF.

I haven't bought anything in a "panic" but I'm definitely buying something this weekend. I'll be driving from San Jose (SJ Gun Exchange) to Sacramento (River City Gun Exchange) because those are my favorites - may end up buying something from each, who knows. I lean toward bolts and single shots so I'm sure they'll be something to grab.

jrr
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
All very good points. I would add that this is not the first time that DiFi has introduced a new AWB with "bi-partisan support" since the original sunset date. The earliest on this forum I found was from 05:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=21042&highlight=feinstein

Also, remember that a watered down version of this bill was introduced in 2006 as well, and failed to pass even with a Democrat controlled house and senate. Even after President Obama won in 2008 and the house and senate remained under Democrat control until 2010, nothing gun related passed. So take a deep breath, and start writing and donating.

And if you search the forum you will find that every provision of the new bill has in fact been in the bill that she has re-introduced every year since 2004. Including the whacky things like adding M1 Carbines and Garands to the "list of military style weapons".

Granted, she has some more traction now thanks to shameless exploitation of recent events. But now is not the time to panic, now is the time to remember that we have people fighting for our rights, and that we need to support them. Further, we have representatives in congress who need to be reminded of the consequences of enacting this type of legislation, as well as others who need to be thanked for their support.

So, I will be the first to admit that I have been lazy in this fight. But I will pledge to write as many Senators and Representatives as possible. I have joined the NRA for the first time in my life. And I will donate to CalGuns, SAF, and anyone else who will help us in this fight and the ones that are sure to come.

chiselchst
12-28-2012, 3:24 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies,)

Please stop complaining and Donate what you can to the NRA-ILA, Calguns Foundation, Second Amendment Foundation, California Rifle & Pistol Association. Hoarding is an inefficient way to spend our hard earned dollars at this point in time. Better to defeat this monster now and buy an AR15 at $650 in a few months than panic buying a rifle $3,000 that will just be taken away from you.

I just wrote every Congressional representative with a personal letter detailing the necessity of a people to be armed in order to resist tyranny or foreign invasion, as well as the individual need for self defense. My letter was based on my family's history in escaping & fighting against tyrannical government and recent local incidents where helpless people with no means of self defense have been victimized by criminals.

Every single post here on calguns.net where we bicker and debate amongst ourselves is a waste of keystrokes. :facepalm:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/chiselchst/applause.gif

mvpatriot
12-28-2012, 3:30 PM
Thanks OP, I will be more proactive while buying lots of stuff :)

TheWalkingDead
12-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Panic buyers need to read this. Bump

"Better to defeat this monster now and buy an AR15 at $650 in a few months than panic buying a rifle $3,000 that will just be taken away from you."

Those of you that bought a rifle 3-4 times it's value, better have contributed something towards the fight for your 2A.

TheWalkingDead
12-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Panic buyers need to read this. Bump

"Better to defeat this monster now and buy an AR15 at $650 in a few months than panic buying a rifle $3,000 that will just be taken away from you."

Those of you that bought a rifle 3-4 times it's value, better have contributed something towards the fight for your 2A.

Vampyredark
12-29-2012, 12:18 AM
I am joining the NRA asap, maybe tomorrow. I will be donated to the ILA

victor1echo
12-29-2012, 5:24 AM
You are a nut who needs to wear a tinfoil hat. Write your conressman? You want to send a message go panic buy. That how we communicate to them. You vote when you spend your money.

Creeping Incrementalism
12-29-2012, 8:02 AM
I'm too scared to stop panic buying!!! Even though my belief is that a federal ban won't go anywhere beyond Obama banning import of foreign ammo or imported assembled magazines.

Seriously, if you have every played economic games where both groups can profit if they work together, but one group will profit more if it acts selfishly, it always ends with the cheaters coming out ahead, and that's when playing with fake money! I've gotten screwed way too many times doing these econ games to even think about trying it in real life.

But that isn't even the case here. It only costs 32 cents to mail a postcard to my reps telling them I oppose a new federal AWB, so times four elected federal officials equals $1.28. If every gun owner did that, Congress & the President wouldn't even be able to read it's mail it would be so swamped.

919industries
12-29-2012, 8:07 AM
Not gonna lie, I made a panic buy, but I don't own any AR's and I just wanted the ability to do so in the event that there is a ban or something along those lines.

I also joined the NRA and when I bought my lower I bought the Cal guns edition from JD machine $10 to the foundation.

About these letters, would someone be willing to send me an example? I would enjoy writing letters to our reps I just want to see something to give me a starting point. Pm me an example or let me know if you want my email address to send me an example there!

Kurus214
12-29-2012, 8:19 AM
I agree wholeheartledly with the OP, take the time to support ourselves by getting our pols to listen, at least marginally, and help the foundation(s) of your choice to prepare for another year of politics.

To Victor1Echo, I think you are being less than constructive in your attempt to get a cognizant point across. Could you have taken a minute to think before insulting another Calguns member ?
I do agree with you that buying items is another form of voting and can be a very powerful type of voice in it's own.

Dragunov
12-29-2012, 8:36 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies,)

Donate and write to congress. :o Please.You are not a buffoon. You just haven't thought about it:

Writing letters to anti-gun politicians is pointless at this time. Hasn't worked well for CA now, has it? Letters will be ignored.

The sound of hard earned dollars ringing a cash register in a gun store, for weapons and ammo has made more of an impact on the "powers" that be, than ANY letter. It has sent a message that I ASSURE you, has been heard by DC! The sound of eminent "Lock and Load" is well heard in Washington.

If you plopped down $600-$1200 on a rifle that you plan on handing over to the .gov, perhaps you are in the wrong place. Personally, I'm not handing **** over to anybody. I bought them for protection. Molon Labe!

Bickering an debating are the birthplaces of great ideas, maybe even world changing ones, so don't underestimate it.

You can write letters if you want, but the sound of millions of ARs and ammo flying off the shelf sends a very loud message. The politicians may have no common sense, but they're not stupid, nor are they deaf.

Dragunov
12-29-2012, 8:39 AM
You are a nut who needs to wear a tinfoil hat. Write your conressman? You want to send a message go panic buy. That how we communicate to them. You vote when you spend your money.
Your point is well taken, but we could do without the name calling. Ok?:D

compulsivegunbuyer
12-29-2012, 9:12 AM

All your doing is filling the bank accounts of opportunists, and fueling news stories on how insane people are arming themselves to the teeth. You communicate through the courts, and through political pressure. Donate, CGF, NRA, ect, these peoples work is what keeps your rights. I love the "it can't happen here" attitude. DiFi and her minions have a blank check, and are waiting for the opportune moment. Another tragedy, the shift of one supreme court justice, it does not take much.

LMTluvr
12-29-2012, 9:42 AM
Although I absolutely agree with the op for the most part..
A good portion of these so called " representatives" could not care less about you and I or a true sense of public safety. They think they know what's best for us. This is about control, not safety. I think a more effective message would be " if you in any way assist in creating unconstitutional gun laws and further prove you no longer defend the constitution as you swore to do nor represent the people as you were elected to do,we will not stop until you are unemployed". EVERYONE needs to get involved. Enough of this " I've got mine or I'm not an AR type anyways, or the "rim fire and bolt only" types. If they get this ban through it will show them the momentum is in their favor. If you think they'll stop at "evil black rifles" it's time to open a history book and educate yourself.
Donate donate donate and I'm sure the NRA and CGN will let us all know what else we, collectively need to do.

pitbull30
12-29-2012, 10:44 AM
There's no reason why everyone on this forum shouldnt be a NRA member. Especially considering its free right now. Give them 25 bucks and you get a 25 buck giftcard to bass pro shops. Then go use it to buy some ammo or other gun stuff. I joined prior to this deal but sent the link via email to all my buddies so they can join. Even if u are broke as **** you can't say you won't spend 25 bucks on ammo this year.

Pick your deal here. Then thank the original poster and send the link to your buddies or post it on your Facebook page Or whatever social media site u use.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=662144

Direct link to bass pro deal.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=bassprowy

Maestro Pistolero
12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree that a buying frenzy communicates the sentiments of the American people in a language we all understand. DOLLARS. I do worry that it also communicates a pessimism that this POS will actually pass in some significant form, which I actually doubt.

I think we may see background checks at gun shows and not much more.

tenpercentfirearms
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I agree. Join all of those organizations and donate. Then continue to panic buy! :43:

Nate74
12-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Just donated to CGN and NRA a couple days ago. My wife's employer will match the CGN donation too!

durandal
12-29-2012, 4:50 PM
The irony.. Ok then, dont write congress or donate to the NRA..

tzotzo
12-29-2012, 6:19 PM
I am not sure if any amount of writing to congress people will accomplish anything.
Everyone is pretty much set in their corners. What we need to do is have intelligent PR being executed by the NRA and other lobby organizations to, once again, try to sway these so called independents who will sway the simple majority opinion. THis needs to happen before anything hits the courts, who need to understand where the public is on the issue.

slidecatch
12-29-2012, 6:57 PM
Not gonna lie, I made a panic buy, but I don't own any AR's and I just wanted the ability to do so in the event that there is a ban or something along those lines.

I also joined the NRA and when I bought my lower I bought the Cal guns edition from JD machine $10 to the foundation.

About these letters, would someone be willing to send me an example? I would enjoy writing letters to our reps I just want to see something to give me a starting point. Pm me an example or let me know if you want my email address to send me an example there!

[Your Name]
[Your Address]

[Today's Date]

The Honorable [Representative's Name]
[Representative's Address]

Dear Representative/Senator [Rep's Last Name],

I am writing today in response to the Connecticut school shooting that has even NRA-endorsed senators such as Joe Manchin from West Virginia calling for new gun control measures.

I oppose any new gun control legislation and I urge you to do the same, for three reasons.

One: Gun control doesn’t work. Countries such as Mexico, Brazil and Russia have strict gun control, yet their homicide rates are many times higher than ours. Germany's strict gun control didn't prevent school shootings in Winnenden, Bremen, Cologne, Emsdetten, Eppstein and Erfurt. Even “assault weapon” bans don’t work. The 1994 assault weapon ban didn't prevent the Columbine massacre or the infamous North Hollywood bank robbery. Norway has an assault weapons ban. That didn’t stop Anders Breivik from gunning down 69 people last year, most of them children.

Two: Gun control is unconstitutional. The landmark Heller decision by the Supreme Court affirms our Second Amendment right to keep and bear firearms—particularly those “in common use.” My own self defense weapon at home is a Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistol. Used by the Navy SEALS, it’s an extremely popular choice for self defense. It’s also designed to hold at least 15 rounds in its magazine. Yet nearly all of the proposed assault weapon bans being bandied about in the media include a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Clearly, such a ban would be unconstitutional.

Three: All this talk of useless and unconstitutional gun control legislation serves only as a distraction from a conversation about measures that could actually save lives, like spending more on mental health or beefing up school security.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I would appreciate a reply.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]

uhlan1
12-29-2012, 8:22 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies,)

Yes, and your state reps and the governor as well. If you are a dem, union member, or independent, let them know that as well, and on this issue, you are a one issue voter.

Jeepers
12-29-2012, 8:27 PM
i agree :D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=666293

Creeping Incrementalism
12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
[Your Name]
[Your Address]

[Today's Date]

The Honorable [Representative's Name]
[Representative's Address]

Dear Representative/Senator [Rep's Last Name],

I am writing today in response to the Connecticut school shooting that has even NRA-endorsed senators such as Joe Manchin from West Virginia calling for new gun control measures.

I oppose any new gun control legislation and I urge you to do the same, for three reasons.

One: Gun control doesn’t work. Countries such as Mexico, Brazil and Russia have strict gun control, yet their homicide rates are many times higher than ours. Germany's strict gun control didn't prevent school shootings in Winnenden, Bremen, Cologne, Emsdetten, Eppstein and Erfurt. Even “assault weapon” bans don’t work. The 1994 assault weapon ban didn't prevent the Columbine massacre or the infamous North Hollywood bank robbery. Norway has an assault weapons ban. That didn’t stop Anders Breivik from gunning down 69 people last year, most of them children.

Two: Gun control is unconstitutional. The landmark Heller decision by the Supreme Court affirms our Second Amendment right to keep and bear firearms—particularly those “in common use.” My own self defense weapon at home is a Sig Sauer P226 9mm pistol. Used by the Navy SEALS, it’s an extremely popular choice for self defense. It’s also designed to hold at least 15 rounds in its magazine. Yet nearly all of the proposed assault weapon bans being bandied about in the media include a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Clearly, such a ban would be unconstitutional.

Three: All this talk of useless and unconstitutional gun control legislation serves only as a distraction from a conversation about measures that could actually save lives, like spending more on mental health or beefing up school security.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I would appreciate a reply.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]

That's pretty much how I do it, except you can afford to be much briefer on everything after the "I oppose new gun control legislation", as in no more than two-three sentences, since they probably won't be read. The fact that an elected official's clerk received a piece of mail with an "I oppose" message is all that counts. The time you spend on all those extra arguments is time you could be spending panic buying.