PDA

View Full Version : Great new trick headspace with hammer

novass
12-27-2012, 1:08 PM
Hello all i just got 2 new to me 1916 spanish mausers from samco . I ordered them awhile ago was told 4 week wait no biggie. after 5 weeks i called samco to see how it was going i was told there backed up because they only have 1 gunsmith and he goes through all the guns before being sent out . cool. I got the rifles a couple weeks later and when i took them apart to clean i found a cool new trick im assuming the samco gunsmith did if you have loose head space just smack the back of the locking lugs until its good to go?? WOW what a time saver....... just wonted to give you guys a heads up

GOEX FFF
12-27-2012, 2:07 PM
When all else fails...just give it the Fonz!

:facepalm:

TRICKSTER
12-27-2012, 4:11 PM
Did it work? :43:

novass
12-27-2012, 4:40 PM
I'm shur it will work for awhile but then what??? I can't be leave a company would do that.

Pete1979
12-27-2012, 4:42 PM
UNACCEPTABLE...

novass
12-27-2012, 4:48 PM
I haven't called them on it I figured if they would do something like that in the first place they wouldn't do anything to make it rite .

Guntech
12-27-2012, 4:53 PM
Ya never heard of that? They taught me that in gunsmithing school. Thats gunsmithing 101, they teach it at the Skid Row Technical Academy, Dark Alley, Chicago.

DennisCA
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
The 1916 spanish mausers from samco; what caliber are they - 7.62X51/.308?
Hope you had a better luck than I did!
Summary:
1st one-seriously beat up sent it back
2nd one-cartridge kept getting stuck after firing; sent it back)
3rd one-same problem as the 2nd one, sent it back & ask for money back)

novass
12-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes they are the 7.62-51 there kinda ugly but that's ok with me I haven't shot them yet I guess I'll have to see if they work. Even if these shoot the head spacing will grow quite quick I'm shur there isn't much of the lugs touching. I don't think I will buy from samco anymore!!!!

0321jarhead
12-29-2012, 9:16 AM
Why not just buy a Field Headspace gauge and check it yourself or take it to a gunsmith. If you live my way I can check it for you free.

backstrap
12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Why not just buy a Field Headspace gauge and check it yourself or take it to a gunsmith. If you live my way I can check it for you free.

I'm guessing because the heaspace is set with peened metal edges and not the entire lug surface so when he shoots it the headspace will become larger as the recoil smashes the peened/dented raised surfaces down. The rifle need the entire lug surface not small pieces of raised damage metal. Giving headspacing advice with out understanding how firearms work is a dangerous idea buddy.

paul0660
12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing because the heaspace is set with peened metal edges and not the entire lug surface so when he shoots it the headspace will become larger as the recoil smashes the peened/dented raised surfaces down. The rifle need the entire lug surface not small pieces of raised damage metal. Giving headspacing advice with out understanding how firearms work is a dangerous idea buddy.

I think Jarhead knows how it works. I think everyone might be right here: a funky adjustment that will work temporarily.

We don't know if Samco did the work.

0321jarhead
12-30-2012, 9:17 AM

I guess you are right, I don't understand how firearms work and you are right, I have no idea how dangerous they can be. Thank you for making me realize all this. NEXT.......!

backstrap
12-30-2012, 9:46 AM
I guess you are right, I don't understand how firearms work and you are right, I have no idea how dangerous they can be. Thank you for making me realize all this. NEXT.......!

Dont be so hard on yourself, did I miss something? I do make mistakes. I just dont understand how checking the headspace on a damaged gun will help? Especialy a gun in which the damage will change the headspacing.

0321jarhead
12-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Loose headspace, smack the back of the locking lugs by assuming the gunsmith at Samco did that? Never assume? If one is not certain of headspace on a rifle, take it to a gunsmith to be checked out. Or if you know of someone that has experience and proper tools, have them check the headspace. As for headspace gauges, I only use Foster's. There are those here on CG that I have worked on there rifles, pistols and shotguns. My advice is always free and on the forum here We that are experienced will try to help those in need. Epilog of this subject: I may not know everything but, I'm never wrong.

bruceflinch
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I may not know everything but, I'm never wrong.

Your wifey disagrees! :p

0321jarhead
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks Bruce, you made me laugh! But, you are right.

ElvenSoul
12-31-2012, 6:06 AM
Did the use a dremmel as well? Bubba is everywhere.

1859sharps
12-31-2012, 9:21 AM
I may not know everything but, I'm never wrong.

I think that belongs in your sig ;)