PDA

View Full Version : Media Examples, Right vs Wrong way to do it

CrazyCobraManTim
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Like many people, I find myself pondering the ramifications of the most recent violence here in the US of A. I wonder about the possibility of potential firearms legislation, the ramifications of the ever popular Facebook or family vs family discussions during otherwise joyous holiday seasons, and even the highly animated Calgunner vs Calgunner debates of the "common sense" or right-way forward to cure the ills of society (can you cure insanity?).

And I find myself spending hours reading comments, studying (or re-reading) various scholarly articles or crime statistics and watching news clips, wondering how extremely educated and otherwise reasonable people can come to opposite conclusions when presented with information on which to form an cogent opinion on topics of great importance.

So offered for consideration - two recent news clips that I found quite memorable, for both their diverse tone and overall characterization of the firearm debate (post New Town). Strange how market forces and polling drive news organizations to approach this same topic from the Sunday morning 50+ year old viewer perspective, versus the Monster Energy Drink fueled 20-something student / young adult prime time, gory Roman Colosseum approach to "reporting". Get your drink, as each of these is about 10 minutes each, though worlds apart.

Example #1
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137670n

Example #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avOV6_42xe4

Your thoughts?

Corbin Dallas
12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Wow. Just wow.

speedrrracer
12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't understand how you get your "right" and "wrong" out of this. People are allowed to exercise freedom of speech.

Piers == Rush Limbaugh. No one with a brain will take either one seriously, but the markets for both are large, because people tend to seek affirmation, not information. Where there is a large market, there will be those seeking to sell to that market.

CrazyCobraManTim
12-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Right = a civil and respectful discussion of the topic at hand between two or more individuals with disparate views. Wrong = baseless character assassination & vicious personal attacks against someone merely because they hold a different view (while on broadcast TV).

Hell - maybe I'm just old fashioned wanting it to be the former.