PDA

View Full Version : What should I do????

Dr.Mauser
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
friends, collectors, brothers, I'm in a bit of a crisis, and I am again, coming to you for help. With all of the talk, of an impending assault weapons ban and everything that it entails, I'm not sure what my next purchase should be. So I come to you with the question of what I should buy please post a poll followed by a reason as to why you chose what you did. I have a very large sum of money arriving on Friday, as well as the money I recently made from selling my 2 rifles, so before the year is out I'd like to buy myself a nice little gift, or a couple. It's up to you guys to let me know what you think would be the smartest purchase. Thank you all I look forward to hearing your opinions.

The purchases im looking at getting are

1. Waffen SS stamped K98
2. Fn49
3. Sumoi M31
4. PPS43
5. One of the MANY assault rifles on the market (either in the AK family, or a variant, im not a big 5.56/.223 fan)

Dr.M

nothinghere2c
12-26-2012, 11:03 PM
do you have a list of firearms you'd like to buy eventually?

if so, get the thing that is most likely to be banned on that list now!

:)

Dr.Mauser
12-26-2012, 11:07 PM
The other issue is that im pretty much a C&R only type guy, I dont like newer assault rifle stuff.

watt79
12-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I would imagine that the K98 and other bolt actions are probably the least likely to be affected by any new legislation.

watt79
12-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I would imagine that the K98 and other bolt actions are probably the least likely to be affected by any new legislation.

Dr.Mauser
12-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I know, im just trying to get a figure of where my money should go.

ClarenceBoddicker
12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
friends, collectors, brothers, I'm in a bit of a crisis, and I am again, coming to you for help. With all of the talk, of an impending assault weapons ban and everything that it entails, I'm not sure what my next purchase should be. So I come to you with the question of what I should buy please post a poll followed by a reason as to why you chose what you did. I have a very large sum of money arriving on Friday, as well as the money I recently made from selling my 2 rifles, so before the year is out I'd like to buy myself a nice little gift, or a couple. It's up to you guys to let me know what you think would be the smartest purchase. Thank you all I look forward to hearing your opinions.

The purchases im looking at getting are

1. Waffen SS stamped K98
2. Fn49
3. Sumoi M31
4. PPS43
5. One of the MANY assault rifles on the market (either in the AK family, or a variant, im not a big 5.56/.223 fan)

Dr.M

1) Can't shoot a nice one without reducing the value.

2) Probably won't be an AW as they don't have a detachable magazine in the original version. The feed lips are in the receiver. Beware of the Century rebuilds. A plastic butt plate is a clue.

3) Will never have much collector value as a non C&R. The KP-44 is a better gun IMO, unless you like heavy wood & milled steel guns. Most M31s had the front of the receiver cut at the barrel locking lugs. Do the semi-auto ones feature a removable barrel as the originals did?

4) Same as the M31 but in an obsolete caliber. Do you have a PPSH-41 already?

5) Every firearms owner needs at least 1 AK. Cover your bases & get an M-14, G-3 & FAL. Great rifles & a great choice for bad times. An AR-10 (not a .308 AR-15) would be different than the usual ARs. A .308 Galil has an AK connection.

A MAS-49/56 without the launcher is a neat gun & many were converted to .308. They saw combat in Algeria & Indochina.

Why not get a semi-auto Yugo M-53 & a Yugo Lafette tripod? The MG-42/M-53 on either the AA or Lafette tripod makes an impressive display piece. You can also get an AA extension for the Lafette tripod.

mosinnagantm9130
12-27-2012, 1:11 AM
I like the MG42/M53 recommendation^^

Besides being awesome, it would fit in with a German themed C&R collection well.

Dr.Mauser
12-27-2012, 1:20 AM
lol im not getting that much money haha, my budget is around $1000-$1200

gunboat
12-27-2012, 2:18 AM
If AW 's are of no interest why list them?
None of the other weapons you list are likely to be banned so just buy what you want/can afford.
Not much point in spending a lot of hard earned money on a weapon likely to be banned is there? No return on investment there --

Anybody have any thoughts on the antis going for a ban on certain ammo?

NOTABIKER
12-27-2012, 5:36 AM
something bolt action and a fixed 5 round mag. that is the last rifle they can ever take away.and stock up on ammo. REALLY. why buy a gun that might be illegal in the future.

navycorpsman
12-27-2012, 6:27 AM
Everyone needs to calm down on the AWB stuff, especially us as California folks. The rest of the country at worst will have to abide by the laws already in place here.

navycorpsman
12-27-2012, 6:29 AM
Buy what you want and dont worry. This happens after all horrible shootings and republicans(majority) will not support new laws and we own the house, so just simmer down everyone since nothing has happened

ClarenceBoddicker
12-27-2012, 6:35 AM
lol im not getting that much money haha, my budget is around $1000-$1200

If you can weld & do basic metal fab you can build a bare bones semi-auto M-53 for around that much. MG-34/AA.com had some very nice M-53 kits with the full demilled (4 cuts) receivers & some had very thin plasma looking cuts. Not sure if they still have those anymore. The worst part of doing an M-53 is the 922R stuff. If you can't afford a real Lafette tripod (Yugo or German they are the same other then the paint color & markings) the MG-3 tripod is a decent deal. IO Inc used to have them on sale for $200-250 with the scope. The Lafette is worth the extra money just due to the more compact design. I wish someone would make a repo MGZ-40 scope though.

If you like the PPS-43 & KP-44 (same gun but in 9mm & takes drums), MGS had some decent KP-44 kits with barrels & Omega had PPS-43 kits that some had usable barrel trunnions. Not sure if they still those kits left. A guy on GunBroker had some cheap PPS-43/KP-44 upper receiver "repair" blanks bent in a U & blister wrapped. They had a bit of surface rust from storage, nothing major.

mls343
12-27-2012, 6:52 AM
M1 Garand

Still a semi auto, but may not be on the evil list.
C&R
30-06 - many applications
Service Grade is under $800 shipped to your door (for now)

wellfedirishman
12-27-2012, 7:18 AM
The TNW Suomi home-build kits are great for $300 or so. The Suomi is an inexpensive and fun gun to shoot and pretty accurate. It is heavy, weighs as much as a Garand.

Marcus von W.
12-27-2012, 7:51 AM
"Dr. von Weigert", you say, "enlightened and all-knowing C&R god that you are, what would you recommend?"

"AK", says I.

Not one of those gay-azz plastic dildo things that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that queer space aliens stick up each other's bung holes like Rock Hudson and Barney Frank at Rosie O'donnel's "Harvey Milch Day" pool party. No, a real wood and metal, vintage classic Commie rifle that a real, heterosexual, man would be proud to carry.

"And where would I get one of those?", you say?

"Why, build it." I politely reply.

I don't know if they still have them, but RGuns had Soviet AK kits that are basically everything but the barrel and receiver. Kind of costly, but worth it....kind of like going to nice restaurants with pretty girls. Some other lame-azz place - Sportsman's Guide, I believe, also has Soviet AK kits, listed as "Bulgarian". Again, no barrel or receiver. SG is one of those places that won't sell legal parts and accessories, so you would have to have the parts shipped to a friend or relative out of state and then forwarded to you here.

Hmmm, no barrel or receiver. Oh my, what to do? Again, The Good Doctor (that's me) has the answer. First choice, wait until the madness subsides a little, then grab one of those silly looking Saigas. Converted with standard AK grip and trigger will save you a little cash maybe, but since you are going to be doing some work anyhow, an regular one will do. Remember, you say "Saiga" and I say "genuine Russian Izhevsk (or as we call it now, Izhmash) made barrel and receiver. "Wow, 2 problems solved at once...you're a genious, Dr. von Weigert" you say. And, keeping in mind the cost considerations, this is the best way to go. Other than some silly 922r parts kissing of that little traitor retard George Bush's backside, once you do what is necessary to get rid of the stupid buttstock and forend setup, you end up with an all Russian AK.

Of course, if the total cost of Plan A exceeds the available budget, there is always Plans B & C.

Plan B: Russian AK kit, "Romanian" barrel (from what I've heard some of these are actually Russian made and have Cyrillic proof marks) and one of those 80% Polish receiver blanks. Yeah, you gotta finish the receiver, temper and harden the things that need it. But because it's not a firearm receiver until you finish it, you can leave it blank and devoid of all non-original markings OR you can add the serial number of the trunnion of your AK kit. That way you still have pretty much a largely Russian, mostly all former Warsaw Pact-communist/ex-Communist rifle. And although your Polish made receiver is a genuine Central European item, it count as an American made part for the 922r bullspit. Sweet, huh?

Plan C is pretty much like Plan B, except you bend your own receiver from an AK-Builder flat.

Now I know that back around 13 years ago, when you heard of an upcoming magazine ban, you put away some hi-cap AK mags. And of course, if you get some more AK mag "replacement/repair" parts kits, you can use these and your existing mags to legally assemble more mags. I say "legally" because I have so much respect for stupid and unconstitutional laws written by hateful dick-breath Marxist pedophile morons who belong in front of a revolutionary firing squad with me giving the order to "fire", that I would never, never, never advocate or even condone doing something like simply assembling the kits into complete magazines that no one could prove you didn't own since 1999 unless you told them. Like I said, it's illegal, and don't do it! These laws are written by people smarter, and more compassionate and caring than you and I, for our own safety.

Now that we have clearly established that your AK mags are legal and "bend over/take it up the butt" compliant, you can ditch the mag lock, slip on a Kydex "grip condom" and stick that hi-cap mag in there like it was a young male prostitute and that mag well was Sen. Yee's backside. (I'm not making this up, Yee's Hawiian arrest record shows that he is a flaming Nancy-boy and likes those boy hookers)

Do it for Mikhail Kalashnikov!

emcon5
12-27-2012, 8:00 AM
Now I know that back around 13 years ago, when you heard of an upcoming magazine ban, you put away some hi-cap AK mags. And of course, if you get some more AK mag "replacement/repair" parts kits, you can use these and your existing mags to legally assemble more mags. I say "legally" because I have so much respect for stupid and unconstitutional laws written by hateful dick-breath Marxist pedophile morons who belong in front of a revolutionary firing squad with me giving the order to "fire", that I would never, never, never advocate or even condone doing something like simply assembling the kits into complete magazines that no one could prove you didn't own since 1999 unless you told them. Like I said, it's illegal, and don't do it! These laws are written by people smarter, and more compassionate and caring than you and I, for our own safety.

The Good Dr. lives in a free state, no such restrictions.

And good luck finding an AK kit, they are out there, but few and far between right now.

Marcus von W.
12-27-2012, 8:03 AM
Of course, if this blinding display of truth and logic (much like God himself handing Moses those stone tablets on a mountain top) is just too overwhelming, there are other possibilities.

Do you have a Soviet SKS yet? How about an SVT-40?

As I recall, you already had a real WW2 M1 carbine (a personal favorite of mine) and didn't care for it enough to keep it, so I doubt you would be happy with any of those Commie sub-gun things.

Marcus von W.
12-27-2012, 8:14 AM
The Good Dr. lives in a free state, no such restrictions.

And good luck finding an AK kit, they are out there, but few and far between right now.

Oh, yeah, my mistake... I forgot that and thought he was a fellow inmate here in the "Golden State Asylum" with the rest of us.

I know the AK kits (especially ones with original barrels) are getting increasingly pricey and hard to find - just saw a couple of those Israeli-captured PLO AK kits go for phenominal amounts, but it might be worth checking with RGuns and SG to see if they still have the Soviet AK kits.

Dr.Mauser
12-27-2012, 9:45 AM
I LOVE the M1 Carbine, my only reason for selling (and i was REALLY sad to see it go) was to fund the purchase of 2 rifles I had been after for a long while

Pete1979
12-28-2012, 9:30 PM
FN49, I've been wanting a 7x57 version for a long time now but the highpower bug bit me this year.

knucklehead0202
12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
svt40, or a hakim, ljungmann, g43 if you can find one cheap enough, mas44,49, or 49/56 are all good choices. or you could stick to bolt guns and don't worry about anything else. i'll never be done collecting i'm pretty sure. if i were going to buy a black rifle of any kind, it definitely wouldn't be an AR variant, not likely an ak either, but i like the big ones, fal or cetme/g3. i was recently bitten hard by the carcano bug and am going crazy. i already have 4 of them, one is in pieces but c&r's are funny that way. just never know what direction you'll go in. i say, whatever the next thing you see is that you like, go for it.

Marcus von W.
12-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah, SVT-40 is a good choice that you can't go wrong with. You can definitely see the SVT ancestry in the SKS, AK, and Dragunov.

No worries about 922r, or "I like dick but I hate guns" California b.s. laws written by moronic squealing haters.

"Stalin's Garand" Shoots the popular, powerful, available, and affordable 7.62x54r. Known WW2 combat history with Soviet, German, and Finn forces. I've seen a few listed for sale lately at reasonable prices.

cruddymutt
12-29-2012, 6:13 PM
I say, if you can find one, look into the Saigas. They look and feel like total crap when you first get one but invest a very small amount (around $200 or less) and you can convert them back into an AK configuration.
I have two, a 223 and 308. My daughter has taken coyotes at 200 yards with the 223 and I took a white tail two years ago with the 308. My 223 will hang with all of my friends $1000+ AR15s up to 250-300 yards. They also make them in 5.45 and 7.62x39.
Conversions are very simple. All you need is a screw driver, dremel, a drill, and about 1.5 to 2 hours of time. I really like mine.
If your set on an AR platform but want something different, look into the AR57. Whoa! I DO NOT like ARs at all but I would definatly get an AR57 upper with maybe a Yankee Hill lower.
Want to stay C&R? SVT-40, G/K43, Ljungman, and SKS comes to mind as semi auto mag fed rifles that COULD be under the lime light. I have an SVT, Ljungman, and Russian SKS. Absolutely LOVE my SVT. Most bad arse favorite rifle I own. I havent put many round through the Ljungman but so far, its cool...but its no SVT! SKS, well, everyone knows how they shoot. Keep em under 200 yards and they shoot great (IMO) but get kinda squirrely out past 250. Mine is a non refurbed 1952 Tula so its got collectability.

big103
12-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Get a AMD-65 it`s a fun gun and is probably top on the list to get banned.