PDA

View Full Version : Are pistol grip shotguns with extended mags legal again?

savasyn
08-17-2007, 4:19 PM
I asked this in thew shotgun forum but got no responses. As a legal question, I figured I'd try here:

I have a Benelli M1 Super90 that has the short mag tube on it as I got it right after they started banning hi cap shotgun mags that had pistol grips on them. Was that a Cali thing or part of the federal ban? Can I know go to full capacity or am I still stuck with the short mag?

Not that I want one, but how about collapsible stocks for pistol grip guns?

AJAX22
08-17-2007, 4:21 PM
they banned hi cap shotgun mags? you can still have a 10 rounder in CA IIRC

If its an import ban thing then you might have to play the 922R game if converting your gun changes it to be a non sporting firearm.

savasyn
08-17-2007, 5:15 PM
When I bought mine, something had just passed(I think federal as it was before 2000) that made it illegal to attach the screw on mag tube extender to the newly shortened 5 round tube if the gun had a pistol grip.

Just to make sure, I just re-read SB23 in regards to shotguns and they only specify evil(tm) as a gun with 2 of the following: folding/tele stocks, pistol grip, thumbhole or vertical grip or has a detachable mag or rotating cylinder. Says nothing about mag capacity so I have no idea which law said I couldn't have "hi cap" tubes.

That does answer my question about a folding stock + pistol grip, though...EVIL(tm)!

savasyn
08-17-2007, 5:19 PM
Boo Yah, found it! It was the federal ban(quoted from the AWB):

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine

As it was the federal ban, which has now died(!) I think I'll go screw that sucker on!

MudCamper
08-17-2007, 5:50 PM
CA PC 12276.1

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to
accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

<bla bla bla...>

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

So if your shotgun is a pump, you're fine. If it's semi-auto and the magazine is fixed, your fine. That's assuming it's not listed in 12276 like the SPAS12.

gose
08-17-2007, 6:20 PM
Boo Yah, found it! It was the federal ban(quoted from the AWB):
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
* Folding or telescoping stock
* Pistol grip
* Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
* Detachable magazine
As it was the federal ban, which has now died(!) I think I'll go screw that sucker on!
AJAX22 had it right, the AWB did indeed sunset, the import ban on non-sporting firearms did not. Taking an newly imported shotgun and putting on a mag extension to bring the capacity up to over five rounds is a federal crime.
To get around it, you have to ensure that the shotgun has no more than 10 foreign made parts.
The import ban was put in place in -89, but some shotguns were still allowed to be imported, until ATF suddenly changed their "interpretation".
However, unless your imported shotgun came with a +5 tube, it's most likely a crime to put one on there (without playing the 922(r) game).

E__WOK
08-17-2007, 8:28 PM
AJAX22 had it right, the AWB did indeed sunset, the import ban on non-sporting firearms did not. Taking an newly imported shotgun and putting on a mag extension to bring the capacity up to over five rounds is a federal crime.
To get around it, you have to ensure that the shotgun has no more than 10 foreign made parts.
The import ban was put in place in -89, but some shotguns were still allowed to be imported, until ATF suddenly changed their "interpretation".
However, unless your imported shotgun came with a +5 tube, it's most likely a crime to put one on there (without playing the 922(r) game).

Can you explain why Benelli was selling straight stock M1S90 with the full 8 round tube post 94 in the state?

savasyn
08-18-2007, 1:27 AM
AJAX22 had it right, the AWB did indeed sunset, the import ban on non-sporting firearms did not.

Cr@p! Oh well, no change then :(

allenst65
08-18-2007, 2:06 AM
Can you explain why Benelli was selling straight stock M1S90 with the full 8 round tube post 94 in the state?

They were doing it until ATF told them to stop (or else...).

Can someone explain why Benelli to this day sponsors their shooters Tom Knapp and Tim Bradley who use extended mag tubes?

Breaking Fed laws all over the country, on Benelli's website and on Benelli's TV commericals. Yeah, something's amiss in the whole "ATF made us do it" story.