PDA

View Full Version : AWB and homebuilt firearms.

kosherbacon
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry to post a speculation thread, so I'ld like to keep the focus on learning about what was done last time as opposed to freaking out over what might not come to pass.

What was the status of homebuilds under the 1994 AWB, particularly ones done before the ban. Are there citable cases of builders getting in trouble? If so, are/were there any ways to protect ones interests and property in such a case? I understand putting name, location, and serial helps, but what about homebuilds without markings?

Sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks all for your patience

itisagoodname
12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Been wondering this as well...

bwiese
12-26-2012, 10:42 PM
How can you know about the future when a bill hasn't been written?
And there is no reason a prospective bill would repeat the past.

In 1994 the Fed AWB encompassed features configurations regardless of commercial sale or not.

THere was some decoupling of receivers vs complete rifles back then: a freestanding 'pre-ban' receiver was not able to
legally be built into a 'preban' configuration later down the line post-94 - unless it had (roughly speaking) been 'kitted'
or 'paired' (at least, if not a full gun) with assigned parts kits.

Mfgrs were rushing things and this let inventories of not-quite-fully-assembled guns become 'preban kitted entities'.

Really wouldn't have mattered much if it were homebuilt receiver or not, and there weren't really too many homebuilt
receivers back then.

kosherbacon
12-26-2012, 11:00 PM
a freestanding 'pre-ban' receiver was not able to
legally be built into a 'preban' configuration later down the line post-94 - unless it had (roughly speaking) been 'kitted'

Hm, so basically, if I was in '94, I'd have to stick with what I had at hand for the most part.

Thanks for the info. I've seen some old ('08) hysteria threads where the idea of photos in sealed envelopes and notarized statements were being kicked around, but since an AWB didn't happen then, nobody can say whether or not such measures would've been any good.

So yeah, we do live in unprecedented times.

TheBest
12-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Summary of Feinstein's bill: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

sreiter
12-27-2012, 1:22 AM

In 1994 the Fed AWB encompassed features configurations regardless of commercial sale or not.

THere was some decoupling of receivers vs complete rifles back then: a freestanding 'pre-ban' receiver was not able to

Mfgrs were rushing things and this let inventories of not-quite-fully-assembled guns become 'preban kitted entities'.

Really wouldn't have mattered much if it were homebuilt receiver or not, and there weren't really too many homebuilt
receivers back then.
hmmm...how would they possibly know if I attached a new upper, if all that gets registered is the lower? if my upper broke on a raw, i could replace it, couldnt I?

therealnickb
12-27-2012, 1:29 AM
Summary of Feinstein's bill: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

She's coming for the bullet button. Go figure.

Ford8N
12-27-2012, 6:33 AM

receivers back then.

If I knew then what I knew now I would have registered as many AK trunions as possible. IO used the trunnion number to "serialize" the receiver of their AK's they were selling at the time.

ChuangTzu
12-27-2012, 5:04 PM

We need to push back against the term "assault pistol" :facepalm: right now, before people start to think that's a real thing, so we don't have to do what we're doing now with "assault rifle"...

vandal
12-27-2012, 7:06 PM
For Christmas I got an anti-gun diatribe from a guy who thought that bullet buttons turn normal rifles into machine guns.

We need to push back against the term "assault pistol" :facepalm: right now, before people start to think that's a real thing, so we don't have to do what we're doing now with "assault rifle"...

SilverTauron
12-27-2012, 7:13 PM
Sorry to post a speculation thread, so I'ld like to keep the focus on learning about what was done last time as opposed to freaking out over what might not come to pass.

What was the status of homebuilds under the 1994 AWB, particularly ones done before the ban. Are there citable cases of builders getting in trouble? If so, are/were there any ways to protect ones interests and property in such a case? I understand putting name, location, and serial helps, but what about homebuilds without markings?

Sorry if this has been addressed before. Thanks all for your patience

Remember that loose lips can sink ships. Addressing your question properly means writing a better AWB for the opposition, as the walls have ears.

Ford8N
12-27-2012, 8:39 PM
Remember that loose lips can sink ships. Addressing your question properly means writing a better AWB for the opposition, as the walls have ears.

This^^^^^^ X100!