PDA

View Full Version : NRA Life Member Participates in LA Gun Buy Back

Doheny
12-26-2012, 8:44 PM
This is probably a mega-dupe, but I did try and search...

A man driving out of the event said he couldn't give his name because he's a National Rifle Association life member and doesn't want his friends to know he turned in a gun.

Store here (http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22262112/lapds-gun-buyback-off-busy-start-van-nuys).

vector16
12-26-2012, 9:13 PM
I want to know whythehell theywerenotarresting theseMFs thatwere turning in rocket launchers, grenades, Tek-9s fully auto AKs ect. I guarentee most of these guns have unsolved murders on them. But no they were rewarding these aholes. WTF

Maltese Falcon
12-26-2012, 9:17 PM
I turned in an old Sears tube fed 22 that was a POS for a $100 Ralphs gift card last time to use up their funds. I was excoriated online by fellow CGNers.

On the plus side I spent it all on adult beverages...

bwiese
12-26-2012, 9:18 PM
Many NRA members turn in guns at buybacks.

Why, one gunsmith I know turned in a whole pile of old 22/25 frames etc. and collected $1700 from an Oakland buyback a couple of years ago. I think they had to shut it down a few people after him, they ran outta funds...

There is no shame in getting cash for crap.

five.five-six
12-26-2012, 9:24 PM
This guy is a NRA life member, just saying.

http://nbclatino.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/michael-moore1-e1348082313315.jpg?w=640&h=442&crop=1

Doheny
12-26-2012, 9:25 PM

Good point. Then go buy more guns. :)

hawk1
12-26-2012, 9:32 PM
I question why you think you need to point this out.

So what, he's a NRA member. Does that, in your mind, conflict with something?

Or you just being a Richard...:confused:

Better yet, don't answer that. I really don't care what liberals think...

SWalt
12-26-2012, 9:34 PM
This guy is a NRA life member, just saying.

http://nbclatino.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/michael-moore1-e1348082313315.jpg?w=640&h=442&crop=1

Jabba the Hut is an NRA member? Who knew??

LOW2000
12-26-2012, 9:50 PM
My problem with any participation in these events is A) It provides headlines/support/feelgoodness to the people organizing it that "we're really doing something good here" instead of them setting up shop and hearing nothing but crickets because no one will participate and B) They often times are using taxpayer money to fund these events (to the best of my knowledge).

A third question/issue I have is are they running the serial numbers on all of these guns and for any that are reported stolen, are they returning them to their owners? Are they depriving their owners from the ability to press charges against the persons who stole or possessed their stolen property?

Grizzled Bastard
12-26-2012, 9:50 PM
Buybacks are laughable. Just like mentioned above, my buddy owns the shop I work at. He and our gunsmith went up to Oakland a few years ago with a box of POS, mostly non-funtional, handguns that were destined for the trash heap and got good money for them. And for the one response here arguing that's his tax dollars being spent. LOL!!!! Would you rather they buy back a stolen pistol with your dollars and then destroy it but give the money to the meth head to go buy another dime bag or would you rather see a heap of trash get turned in and a friendly gun shop owner gets a free dinner out of it? LOL! It gonna happen one way or the other. They will spend the money allocated.

The other thing he mentioned was how many illegal purchases were going on in the street when the authorities ran out of money and locked the gates to the buyback! All kinds of gun transactions were taking place by the street thugs and those left near the back of the line. LOL

Eddy's Shooting Sports
12-26-2012, 9:55 PM
I'm an NRA Life Member and I got $2K earlier this year for old crap guns at the East Palo Alto buy back. So what? What's your point?

The EPA buyback was funded by private donations.

A Libtard and their money are soon parted.....

Cheers!

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 W 12-9 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

Guntech
12-26-2012, 9:57 PM
I want to know whythehell theywerenotarresting theseMFs thatwere turning in rocket launchers, grenades, Tek-9s fully auto AKs ect. I guarentee most of these guns have unsolved murders on them. But no they were rewarding these aholes. WTF

Dude it is a ****ing sweet deal heres how it works:

Step 1:
Burglarize someones home

Step 2:
Steal said persons firearms that they spent their hard earned money on while you were kicking it at home on the tax payers dime smoking weed

Step 3:
Murder someone with said persons weapon

Step 4:
Sit on weapon until gun buy back program, murder a few more people in drive-bys(optional)

Step 5:
Take weapon to gun buy back location

Step 6:
Sell for $200

Step 7:
All evidence that could have been used against you is destroyed by the people who are supposed to investigate and arrest you. And you got ****ing paid!

Aint life grand!

DannyInSoCal
12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Im going to walk the waiting line next time -

Might be some great buys there....

Grizzled Bastard
12-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm an NRA Life Member and I got $2K earlier this year for old crap guns at the East Palo Alto buy back. So what? What's your point?

The EPA buyback was funded by private donations.

A Libtard and their money are soon parted.....

Cheers!

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 W 12-9 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

:D WINNING :patriot:

robcoe
12-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Good point. Then go buy more guns. :)

Ding.

If I ever find one that gives $200 for a rifle I'll turn in my 5 least favorite mosins, then buy 10 more,

rimfire78
12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Ding.

If I ever find one that gives $200 for a rifle I'll turn in my 5 least favorite mosins, then buy 10 more,

Unfortunately, I think most of them give out Ralph's cards though.

vector16
12-26-2012, 10:31 PM

What part of what I said makes youi think I am a liberal? I have never voted democrat since I was able to vote, not in a national election, state level or local. I probably can't say the same thing about most of the people in America, esspecailly the baby boomers and the people that grew up in the 60's. Every male in my family is a vetran and we are all NRA members, gun owners and hunters'. I like having my rights, my money and I can't stand the democrats of this counrty trying to take them away from me and trying to rip me off every chance they get. If you think for a minute that ANYTHING the goverment does does not include paying for it with your money you are sadly mistaken. People say the EPA funded this through private donations, who funds the damn EPA to begin with. The EPA is a bunch of crack pots to begin with anyway. They have said that dirt roads cannot make dust. Now WTF is that supposed to mean. It took them over $200,000,000 of your money to odo a study to regulate that. BS.
LA is ran by an illegal alien that thinks he has buisness to take a private jet to china to meet with the leaders on peace agreements? CA is corrupt and now the infection has spread nation wide.
Its asd that these kids got killed in a state that has loose gun laws by a Phyco kid that it was against the law for him to possess guns or ammo. How is that my fault. Peoples lives are saved every day by the same guns that this kid used but the media does not cover this and the president does not give a hoot about the people that did not fall victim to some ahole that Jerry Brown let out of prison early and went to rob and kill innocent people. Why is that not covered ny the news.
The gun did not malfunction, the gun did not go off on its own. It did exactlly what it was made to do. It was just in the hands of a killer instead of a sane person. The kid could have had a baseball bat and killed the same people or maybe a tire iron or even he could have stolen his moms Dodge truck and plowed into the school yard when the children were playing. The new would have said there was a terrible accident and that would havwe been that. Lets ban Dodge trucks or Baseball bats. Better yet lets just say that if you are not a goverment employee you are not allowed to leave your house or if you have not become a politican by the time you hit 18 you go to jail forever.

Ordnance1
12-26-2012, 10:32 PM
A couple years ago I had an old Armscor AK-22 that I was going to turn in at a gun buyback but decided to give it away to a fellow Calguns member instead who used it to go plinking with his son. Better than seeing it get crushed.

vector16
12-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately, I think most of them give out Ralph's cards though.

AND the reason it is ralphs, so they can support all of their damn union workers.

DirtyLaundry
12-26-2012, 11:03 PM
AND the reason it is ralphs, so they can support all of their damn union workers.

:TFH::TFH::TFH:

markw
12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Gun buy backs have their place. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/10/pro-gun-group-uses-chicago-firearms-buyback-program-to-fund-nra-shooting-camp/

markw
12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Gun buy backs have their place. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/10/pro-gun-group-uses-chicago-firearms-buyback-program-to-fund-nra-shooting-camp/

RotaryRevn
12-26-2012, 11:44 PM
If the buyback was a little closer to me, I have a piece of carp .22 that I paid about 100 bucks for at sportsmart 10 years ago. I'd turn it in and get my $100 ralphs gift card. I shop at ralphs anyways so I would look at it as $100 less on groceries and $100 more towards a new gun........ specifically, I'm looking at the smith and wesson .22 that looks/functions like the AR. It's like getting a $100 dollar credit towards the new gun :cool2:

roushstage2
12-26-2012, 11:51 PM
What part of what I said makes youi think I am a liberal? I have never voted democrat since I was able to vote, not in a national election, state level or local. I probably can't say the same thing about most of the people in America, esspecailly the baby boomers and the people that grew up in the 60's. Every male in my family is a vetran and we are all NRA members, gun owners and hunters'. I like having my rights, my money and I can't stand the democrats of this counrty trying to take them away from me and trying to rip me off every chance they get. If you think for a minute that ANYTHING the goverment does does not include paying for it with your money you are sadly mistaken. People say the EPA funded this through private donations, who funds the damn EPA to begin with. The EPA is a bunch of crack pots to begin with anyway. They have said that dirt roads cannot make dust. Now WTF is that supposed to mean. It took them over $200,000,000 of your money to odo a study to regulate that. BS.
LA is ran by an illegal alien that thinks he has buisness to take a private jet to china to meet with the leaders on peace agreements? CA is corrupt and now the infection has spread nation wide.
Its asd that these kids got killed in a state that has loose gun laws by a Phyco kid that it was against the law for him to possess guns or ammo. How is that my fault. Peoples lives are saved every day by the same guns that this kid used but the media does not cover this and the president does not give a hoot about the people that did not fall victim to some ahole that Jerry Brown let out of prison early and went to rob and kill innocent people. Why is that not covered ny the news.
The gun did not malfunction, the gun did not go off on its own. It did exactlly what it was made to do. It was just in the hands of a killer instead of a sane person. The kid could have had a baseball bat and killed the same people or maybe a tire iron or even he could have stolen his moms Dodge truck and plowed into the school yard when the children were playing. The new would have said there was a terrible accident and that would havwe been that. Lets ban Dodge trucks or Baseball bats. Better yet lets just say that if you are not a goverment employee you are not allowed to leave your house or if you have not become a politican by the time you hit 18 you go to jail forever.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j1TiA9cOH6g/T2Nh5vcM7SI/AAAAAAAACIg/H_ILDk8Pql0/s640/obama+u+mad+bro.jpg

:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill:

fullspeed1
12-26-2012, 11:52 PM

EPA=East Palo Alto;)

hawk1
12-27-2012, 8:43 AM

What part of what I said makes youi think I am a liberal? ...

First, what part of what I wrote is directed at you? :facepalm:

My reply is to the OP.

vector16
12-27-2012, 8:47 AM
First, what part of what I wrote is directed at you? :facepalm:

My reply is to the OP.

well you were just under me. quote next time.

HowardW56
12-27-2012, 9:05 AM
Many NRA members turn in guns at buybacks.

Why, one gunsmith I know turned in a whole pile of old 22/25 frames etc. and collected $1700 from an Oakland buyback a couple of years ago. I think they had to shut it down a few people after him, they ran outta funds...

$100.00 for a RG revolver that I was afraid to test fire....

I came out ahead on that one.....

lugee
12-27-2012, 9:10 AM
I see some nice new in that picture. A sten, a MP40.

CitaDeL
12-27-2012, 9:12 AM
Does anyone else have an issue with contributing to Tony Villar's 8,000 guns off the street rhetoric? Perhaps have a twinge of remorse for contributing to the media and law enforcement ruberic that guns eliminated from circulation must reduce crime?

I think the only way I wouldnt take issue with this practice is for the buyback program to be bankrupted by pro-gun orgs, gun stores, and deliberate and wanton displays of exploitation by private parties disposing of unworkable garbage and self made recievers.

The news I would want to hear is that a single gun advocacy group exhausted all the gift cards by stacking the que with unusable crap... while at the same time, other intended participants were having their turn-ins inspected, graded and offered real money for useful and desireable firearms by dealers.

pHredd9mm
12-27-2012, 9:15 AM
I have an old 8mm mauser I bought decades ago for $9.95 at a local hardware store in another state. Used it a couple times at range. Was never accurate. Every shot a flyer. POS. Stock is cracked. barrel all rusty inside and out. I am going to clean it up and paint it evil black or camo. Waiting for a local gun buyback to make some $$$$ on it.

AyatollahGondola
12-27-2012, 9:43 AM
Does anyone else have an issue with contributing to Tony Villar's 8,000 guns off the street rhetoric? Perhaps have a twinge of remorse for contributing to the media and law enforcement ruberic that guns eliminated from circulation must reduce crime?

I think the only way I wouldnt take issue with this practice is for the buyback program to be bankrupted by pro-gun orgs, gun stores, and deliberate and wanton displays of exploitation by private parties disposing of unworkable garbage and self made recievers.

The news I would want to hear is that a single gun advocacy group exhausted all the gift cards by stacking the que with unusable crap... while at the same time, other intended participants were having their turn-ins inspected, graded and offered real money for useful and desireable firearms by dealers.

This depends a little upon where the gun "buy" money originates. If it's grants from DHS or other federally supplied funds, they just seem to print what they need anyway, so we're unlikely to break them. If it is just local money, then maybe there's a chance. But there also may be a state grant involved too, which will be a little more of a cushion for the muni's. But in the end, the program isn't so much for getting guns out of the hands of criminals; it's a propaganda effort, and as long as they can advertise the success rate which = guns turned in that day, the program works in their eyes. The best dent we could make in it is to see almost no takers

Zedrek
12-27-2012, 6:35 PM
I believe that I read that they run the serial numbers to see if the gun was reported stolen or not. Not sure why everyone is concerned what the other side is thinking about us turning in guns and using it as propaganda. They are just going to make up crap anyway. Might as well get something for a cheap rifle that doesn't work and spend the money at my LGS.

vector16
12-27-2012, 7:46 PM
I believe that I read that they run the serial numbers to see if the gun was reported stolen or not. Not sure why everyone is concerned what the other side is thinking about us turning in guns and using it as propaganda. They are just going to make up crap anyway. Might as well get something for a cheap rifle that doesn't work and spend the money at my LGS.

They do not run S/N's. If you report a gunstolen in CA you will never see it again even if they find it It is one of the joys in the "lets get guns off the street" plan. Do you think for a minute that they give all those Tek-9s, MACK- and full suto M-16s back to the military where thay were stolen from, no they do not. You are living in a dream world if you think COPS would ever return a firearm to anyone.

Bill Carson
12-27-2012, 7:57 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_18017685 LAPD and LASD have the same policy. They run serial numbers but do not do ballistic testing.

javalos
12-27-2012, 8:17 PM
I'm a life member and I'd never participate in a buy back, for me its the principle of the matter, but that's me.

a1c
12-27-2012, 8:18 PM
They do not run S/N's. If you report a gunstolen in CA you will never see it again even if they find it It is one of the joys in the "lets get guns off the street" plan. Do you think for a minute that they give all those Tek-9s, MACK- and full suto M-16s back to the military where thay were stolen from, no they do not. You are living in a dream world if you think COPS would ever return a firearm to anyone.

That is simply not true. I know several people who have had guns returned to them sometimes nearly decades later when they were seized by police.

Cannon-Arms
12-27-2012, 8:39 PM
PoPo had squad cars with ANPR cameras at the event. They have records of all car regs. that came through.

Ooops!

InGrAM
12-27-2012, 8:45 PM
Jabba the Hut is an NRA member? Who knew??

:rofl:

Aces and 8s
12-27-2012, 8:46 PM
Wonder if the idiots running these things know the.difference between an air soft pistol and a real one. Sounds like a good way to turn $20 into $100. Hahahahhaa!

madjack956
12-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Baby Boomer here...Born in the 50's...grew up in the 60's..never voted Democrat. What makes you think baby boomers must have voted Dem at one time or another in their life?

Mrbroom
12-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Most (not all) are funded by asset forfieture funds. These are the monies police get say from drug bust and so on.

Doheny
12-28-2012, 1:00 AM
I question why you think you need to point this out. ...

Because I can and because it's notable.

Nah, I'm being a Hawk.

:seeya:

jaymz
12-28-2012, 7:08 AM
I'd never participate in a buyback for any reason due to what they stand for. Morals are more important to me than money.

Wherryj
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
This is probably a mega-dupe, but I did try and search...

Store here (http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22262112/lapds-gun-buyback-off-busy-start-van-nuys).

He just didn't want to be linked to an article that proves he was making a profit selling junk guns for more cash than they are worth. Remember, NEVER commit ANYTHING to paper or video.

socal70xr7
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Back in Massachusetts they were offering a flu shot if you turned in your gun. What a freaking awesome deal! We all know how much the flu shots make us safer than personal protection would. They must have too much fluoride in the water back there to keep the people in a zombie state.

socal70xr7
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Back in Massachusetts they were offering a flu shot if you turned in your gun. What a freaking awesome deal! We all know how much the flu shots make us safer than personal protection would. They must have too much fluoride in the water back there to keep the people in a zombie state.