PDA

View Full Version : Transferring gifted long guns?

GeeDog
12-26-2012, 7:00 PM
Quick question for all you gurus out there. My father gifted me 8-10 vintage Winchesters recently and I may want to part with a couple in order to help off-set the cost of something else. These are long guns, produced around the 1910 timeframe. Nothing really super valuable or anything like that; just old and cool. I'm not a C&R or FFL, just a regular citizen. Will there be an issue if I try to sell or trade them as they aren't registered to me? How does the person doing the transfer know I own them and have the right to sell or trade them?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2012, 7:13 PM
Will there be an issue if I try to sell or trade them as they aren't registered to me?

No issue. Long guns aren't even registered. And there is no requirement that firearms you sell be registered to you (even for handguns).

How does the person doing the transfer know I own them and have the right to sell or trade them?

They will never know for sure. They will just have to trust you. It's just like when you go to a swap meet or buy something on ebay. You have no idea if the seller really owns the stuff they are selling.

GeeDog
12-26-2012, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I'd read that was the case, but with all the craziness these days I almost couldn't believe it was true. I guess the two I'm considering selling / trading are officially "antiques' now and not just vintage. Much appreciated.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2012, 7:29 PM
...I guess the two I'm considering selling / trading are officially "antiques' now and not just vintage.

They would have to have been made before January 1, 1899 to be antiques.

GeeDog
12-26-2012, 7:50 PM
That's interesting... I always thought '100 years' was the criteria. Thanks again!

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2012, 8:09 PM
That's interesting... I always thought '100 years' was the criteria. Thanks again!

"Antique" is set at "in or before 1898".

"Curio & Relic" is the one with the rolling 50 years of age.

gunboat
12-26-2012, 9:13 PM
As others have said - no problem selling -- BUT
Are you sure you want to get rid of dad's guns?
You may regret disposing of them when you are older --
I do understand financial NEEDS, but not wants -
my tuppence

GeeDog
12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Gunboat, I hear what you're saying. There are some of them I'll never part with. I love them so much I'm going to will them to someone who'll love them like I do, and they won't be relatives either. It's just hard to hold onto a couple that aren't really shooters, and aren't really that that super collectable. Frankly, I can't afford to collect guns that I can't shoot. I had Christmas dinner with my dad the other day and we talked about guns a lot. He knows how much I appreciate his gifts, but he also knows there are a few gems in the lot and a few that are marginally useful in real terms. I like a guy who cares about his dad (and don't forget mom!). I'll cherish the gems forever, but might part with a couple others if they can translate to new gems to be cherished. Merry Christmas!