PDA

View Full Version : BEST ANALYSIS I'VE SEEN...

SIGSHOOTR
12-26-2012, 1:51 PM
As a member of the "leftist scum media" who has seen it all in terms of the news coverage and internet forum rants (and who happens to be former military an NRA member and a left leaning liberal-- yeah, I'm a contradiction who does not fit into what most 2A supporters think of members of the media or gun owners), this is probably the best, well reasoned and backed up viewpoint I have come across after covering the shootings at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson, Aurora and Newtown:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

It's worth the read. Please share.

OleCuss
12-26-2012, 2:02 PM
Interesting bit. Thank you.

Kinda lost me a bit at the beginning. Admittedly I'm not a Republican, but as a Libertarian conservative almost every day I listen to one or more hours of NPR.

But the perspective is worthwhile. Thank you for posting that.

SuperSet
12-26-2012, 2:08 PM
Well written, thanks for the link!

Sully
12-26-2012, 6:05 PM
Good article for all my left leaning family and friends; bookmarked.

gatdammit
12-26-2012, 6:37 PM
thx!

Capybara
12-26-2012, 8:57 PM
Excellent article, very logical, should make sense to anyone who is not emotionally driven. But that's the problem, the antis are ONLY driven by emotion, there is no logic to their assertions or arguments, yet here we are again, going through the same pointless machinations again. Why?

Treadstone
12-26-2012, 9:36 PM
Bookmarked for future referrals! Thanks!

Knomad
12-26-2012, 9:58 PM
As a member of the "leftist scum media" who has seen it all in terms of the news coverage and internet forum rants (and who happens to be former military an NRA member and a left leaning liberal-- yeah, I'm a contradiction who does not fit into what most 2A supporters think of members of the media or gun owners), this is probably the best, well reasoned and backed up viewpoint I have come across after covering the shootings at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson, Aurora and Newtown:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

It's worth the read. Please share.

Nice. Thank you for posting.

BTW, lots of us don't fit the conventional stereotype... I'll call myself a progressive with libertarian tendencies, which means I don't fit neatly into either camp even without considering my pro-gun viewpoint. I'd argue that both major political parties are merely a convenient collection of special interests and they're no longer based on any coherent overall political philosophy.

I'm of course an NRA member, but I don't believe the recent anti-Obama rants have done us any favors. Certainly they've pissed off plenty of pro-gun Democrats, of which there are many especially in more rural places, but also increasingly in big cities via liberal back-to-the-land-on-weekends types (a growing demographic). Now that we really need those people.... I guess what I'm saying is that if we want to win very many of these battles, we need to broaden the base, not alienate vast swaths of it.

FullMetalJacket
12-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Excellent reasoning succinctly presented.

raymartrading
12-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Finally, I can send a well written article that tries to stay above the shrill hysteria from both sides. Thanks

Dothraki
12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Good read. Read the comments as well for both sides point of view.

MigNoche
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Tagged

Creeping Incrementalism
12-27-2012, 1:49 PM
It appears that this article was written several months ago. I stopped reading when the author said that it was NRA paranoia to think that Obama would try to ban guns in his second term.

Before I stopped reading the author made a good point about the de minimis risk of school shootings, so maybe there are a few other good points in there that I skipped, but the author should add an apology at the beginning of the piece.

Creeping Incrementalism
12-27-2012, 1:53 PM
I'm of course an NRA member, but I don't believe the recent anti-Obama rants have done us any favors. Certainly they've pissed off plenty of pro-gun Democrats, of which there are many especially in more rural places, but also increasingly in big cities via liberal back-to-the-land-on-weekends types (a growing demographic). Now that we really need those people.... I guess what I'm saying is that if we want to win very many of these battles, we need to broaden the base, not alienate vast swaths of it.

How has the NRA "pissed off plenty of pro-gun Democrats"? They are a single-issue advocacy group, not infrequently endorse Democrats, and very prescient in predicting that Obama would become an aggressive gun-banner in his second term.

doug-y-doug
12-27-2012, 4:26 PM
It appears that this article was written several months ago. I stopped reading when the author said that it was NRA paranoia to think that Obama would try to ban guns in his second term.

Before I stopped reading the author made a good point about the de minimis risk of school shootings, so maybe there are a few other good points in there that I skipped, but the author should add an apology at the beginning of the piece.

You should read the rest of the article. What you read is pretty much all he says about the NRA. Plus, why not read something you might disagree with? It's good for your arguments.

Seventh7
12-27-2012, 9:34 PM
good read

JavaBrewer
12-28-2012, 8:26 PM
+1. I was going to start a thread about this article (brought to my attention in another forum I participate in) but thankfully found this. I have sent the URL to my more liberal friends hoping for a meaningful dialog.

nothinghere2c
12-28-2012, 8:41 PM
very well written