PDA

View Full Version : PPT question

Lateralus
08-16-2007, 9:54 PM
A while ago i sold one of my AR-15s to a co-worker. The shop we used wasnt exactly OLL friendly, but agreed to do it. They did, however, charge what i considered to be an exorbitant fee to do it; IIRC, it was somewhere in to 90-100 range. I didnt care at the time seeing as how the purchaser agreed to all fees and was happy to have an AR-15. I thought we were done.

I was reading the FAQ today the JR wrote and saw a line that said that a dealer may charge a max of $35 for a PPT on top of the DROS. Did this shop do something illegal? Did i read it wrong? Please help!

blkA4alb
08-16-2007, 9:56 PM
FFLs are only allowed to charge $35 and no more for a PPT.

If you shipped the gun from an FFL to another then it is no longer a PPT and the shop can charge what they want.

aplinker
08-17-2007, 12:58 AM
If you both went in the shop, at the same time (that's what's required to do a PPT), then what they did is illegal.

Lateralus
08-17-2007, 1:23 AM
we did both go at the same time. Thanks for he info guys i really appreciate it. I dont know what i should do next, the rtransaction is over and i dont know if i should say anything. I definitely wont bo goning back there any time soon

aplinker
08-17-2007, 1:34 AM
You should definitely call the BOF. It puts their FFL on the line. What they did to you was absolutely illegal. I'm suspecting your friend still has the receipt?

The SoCal Gunner
08-17-2007, 2:32 AM
I say have the buyer go back and tell them about the law that only allows for $35 on a PPT and ask for them to refund the extra money then use that money to buy ammo, or something else, at the shop OR never go back and use that money at a different shop depending on the shop's attitude.

Fjold
08-17-2007, 6:52 AM
Post the name of the FFL here. It's nice to know who the crooks are.

tenpercentfirearms
08-17-2007, 7:44 AM
Don't post their name! Don't post their name. I will refund your money. :p

Oh wait, that can't be me, I am OLL over friendly.

MudCamper
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
So you've got an FFL who was willing to transfer an OLL (something most won't do) and the suggestion is to reward him by getting him in trouble with the BOF? Bad move IMO. Go back to the shop and explain to the guy that it was not legal to charge that much, and get a refund. If he doesn't give it to you, post his info of forums like these so we'll know who NOT to give our business to.

bwiese
08-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, great, let's kick our friends in the teeth.

The Bradys reading this must be jumping for joy, that we're trying to shut down another dealer the ATF hasn't had a chance to yet.

markymark
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Just have your friend go back to them and let them talk it out in person. No need to bring BOF into this or say their name out in the public.

aplinker
08-17-2007, 11:16 AM

The Bradys reading this must be jumping for joy, that we're trying to shut down another dealer the ATF hasn't had a chance to yet.

You honestly believe a FFL "accidentally" charged someone extra for a PPT?

I wouldn't advocate putting their name here until they're given the chance to respond.

Sure, give them a call and see if they immediately acknowledge a mistake, but that doesn't seem likely to me. It's kind of hard to mistakenly miss the fact both parties are present.

Fjold
08-17-2007, 12:30 PM

My friends don't cheat me.

Just because an FFL transfers OLL doesn't make him good, it could just be pure greed.

Lateralus
08-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Woah nelly, everone calm down.

I PURPOSELY did not post the name of the shop; I dont even know if anyone else even goes there. Other than this occasion, they have been a FRIENDLY< WELL INFORMED shop and i dont want to tarnish their previous sterling rep.

I hope my friend still has the receipt; I just reveiwed my DROS copy but there wasnt any payment receipt attached to it for my records:(

I will probably find out if my buddy still has the receipt before talking to them. If he does, ill go back and talk to them. I hate doing so because he was actually willing to do an OLL transfer, so it seems kinda counter-productive.

Many thanks for all your help, i wish i had known this before i did the transfer.

Just because an FFL transfers OLL doesn't make him good, it could just be pure greed.

Im pretty sure greed never made me risk my business.....