PDA

View Full Version : Possible methods to acquiring California legal rifles from out of state?

tritonx
12-26-2012, 2:30 AM
Hello! My apologies if I have not been able to find posted answers in previous threads. If I'm interested in acquiring an out of state stock rifle such as a SCAR 16S and having it made california legal, which of these options are legally permitted?

OOS FFL transfers to Cali FFL, Cali FFL performs Cali mods, who transfers to me
OOS FFL performs Cali Mods, then transfers to Cali FFL, who transfers to me
OOS Private Party transfers to Cali FFL, Cali FFL performs Cali mods, who transfers to me
OOS Private Party performs Cali Mods, then transfers to Cali FFL, who transfers to me

My research leads me to believe that some of these scenarios, if permitted, my require the Cali FFL to be an 07 FFL.. could you also note which scenarios might require an 07 FFL?

Many thanks!

Hogstir
12-26-2012, 7:26 AM
If the firearm in question is on the named list it can't be legally brought into the state period. If it is a matter of " evil" features as long as it is modified to meet ca laws prior to importation into ca and goes thru an ffl it would probably work. Just my opinion. I believe that a SCAR has a 14.5 inch barrel. Ca minimum is 16 for a rifle.

mossy
12-26-2012, 9:22 AM
If the firearm in question is on the named list it can't be legally brought into the state period. If it is a matter of " evil" features as long as it is modified to meet ca laws prior to importation into ca and goes thru an ffl it would probably work. Just my opinion. I believe that a SCAR has a 14.5 inch barrel. Ca minimum is 16 for a rifle.

I think the Federal limit is 16 inch.....

Hogstir
12-26-2012, 9:38 AM
I think the Federal limit is 16 inch.....

Penal Code 12020
(c)(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

Short barreled rifle ( less than 16" ) illegal in Ca.

mossy
12-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Penal Code 12020
(c)(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

Short barreled rifle ( less than 16" ) illegal in Ca.

Yes......thats a CA code, NFA is federal. You cannot have a unregistered SBR anywhere.

tritonx
12-26-2012, 12:10 PM
My apologies.. For the sake of discussion, let me be more specific and state that it is a civilian scar 16S which has a barrel length of 16.25", and is not on the named list. Thanks!

Hogstir
12-26-2012, 12:21 PM
If not on named list it just has to be modified to meet Ca. laws ( ie bullet button) then shipped to a CA FFL to process the sale. Problem is finding an out of state FFL who is willing to do that.

emcon5
12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
It is not an "AW", it is a rifle.

Maybe I am oversimplifying this, but I have heard a few times that the easy button for AR pattern rifles is simply to remove the upper. The upper gets shipped direct to you, and the complete lower (the actual firearm in the eyes of the law) goes to FFL, with no barrel it is not centerfire, so the AW laws do not apply.

Am I missing something here?

tritonx
12-26-2012, 3:28 PM
Emcon5, thanks for the correction! Too bad I can't fix the thread title. My goal was to find the easiest methods possible for out of staters to sell me a rifle. I'm in Houston for the holidays and no one wants to sell to California based on their impression of the difficulty and liability issues. It may be moot, though, as *all* store shelves are empty with no shipments en route for rifles at every store I visited. :(

FoxTrot87
12-26-2012, 3:31 PM
I think the op is fishing...

Southwest Chuck
12-26-2012, 3:36 PM
Too bad I can't fix the thread title. :(

Go to your first post and hit edit, then advanced. At the top you can then edit your thread title.

FoxTrot87
12-26-2012, 3:46 PM
TRITONX Are you Walter Wu of Morrison & Foerster LLP?

http://www.mofo.com/Walter-Wu/?service=838

http://www.zimbio.com/The+Leslie+Brodie+Report/articles/CD8Qmv-pY_2/Keith+Wetmore+Chair+Morrison+Foerster+Asked

tritonx
12-26-2012, 5:22 PM
Hello! Holy crap, I didn't know there was another Walter Wu around. So yes, that is my name, but no, I don't work at MoFo. I did order a SCAR 16S through Valkyrie Arms 4 months ago, and am now screwed, waiting for my money back, and seeing if there's a way to acquire one from out of state in addition to seeing if I can find one in state. Thanks for the advice on changing the thread title!

Here's a pic of me on FB to differentiate me from the lawyer/MD Walter. Wish I had bought this one when I had the chance. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151229588640451

FoxTrot87
12-26-2012, 8:22 PM
ROFL Thank you for the return trip to earth and I'm sincerely sorry.

On a serious note they do read these forums and don't need anymore ideas.

jpigeon
12-26-2012, 8:31 PM
Have your brother in law from AZ hook you up